Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak Timbuk2 Brushless Rock Crawling ESC!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #201

Default Re: Novak Timbuk2 Brushless Rock Crawling ESC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignose13 View Post
what led status lights are on when you are in neutral??
I am also hearing a clicking coming from the gear area when i am in Neutral also!! any ideas?
white, red, orange or is it yellow, blue

try re calibrating it, mine has no clicking.

the drag brake is set high and makes a audible sound i turned mine down and is quiet now
rigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #202

yep got working now..i also had going it back ass wards for a while too, until redid everything 3-4 times..now it works great

until i get it outside anyway :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
white, red, orange or is it yellow, blue

try re calibrating it, mine has no clicking.

the drag brake is set high and makes a audible sound i turned mine down and is quiet now
bignose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #203

its funny how they brag up, it is set up in the right direction but it isn't lol

got my cc bec and cc link and a hitec hs 7950 th servo on the way

that guy had a chance to make it right, no more novac products for me lol

he wanted me to jump trough hoops to get it replaced, no dice! so ill be getting my next motor elsewhere, his loss over a 5 dollar bec lol
rigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #204
Rock Crawler

The kit version Wraith has the diffs in backwards from the RTR Wraith. So one will have the motor going the right direction out of the box, and the other will have it running backwards. My guess is that they have it set up out of the box for the RTR.

Guys have been complaining that building a kit by the book has some of the fancy diff covers with the logos upside down now too

I am leaning towards giving this a shot in my Wraith kit. I have a 3300kv system in it now, but its not for crawlers. Has weak reverse, and it doesn't have instant forward to reverse or any drag brake. Tired of getting out of boundary points because my truck won't stop rolling backwards
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #205

I just bought the Novak timbuk2 18.5t for my crawler put it in and calibrated the controller and it lasted maybe 3 mins then went into a limp mode going forward but reverse was fine? Called Novak and they are sending me the external BEC and a new board for the ESC. To bad I have to wait a month before I can try it out since I leave Monday for navy stuff. I have 2 friends running the same set up 1 works great I found out the other is doing the same as mine also told Novak and they are sending him replacements also. Hope it works I like the rock boost for the 3 mins I got to try it. Charlie any ideas? I clocked the timing as well to zero still no dice. Kinda pissed for the money I spent for it to sit on the shelf.
ccs2187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #206
Rock Crawler

charlie@teamnovak.com is always here to help! I'm working a gig at the Tamiya Booth for the Long Beach Grand Prix, but emails will be caught up on in the evenings.

I did notice one thing, the Timbuk2 Wraith Edition came out before there was a "Kit", the RTR setup, came with "Backwards" Rotation as the forward, so the Default for the Wraith Edition is for the RTR, not the way the "Kit" tells you to build the axles. The RTR and the Kit are opposite each other is the way I understand it.

I have not experienced the "Limp home" problem that was indicated in any of the systems me and my buddies run.

Shoot me an email, we'll go over the basics. The Tech called me before he called you back, and went over everything there as well. But sometjimes the emails work better. You'd be surprised.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #207

Email sent
Old 04-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #208

so first off hats off to NOVAK for customer support. but on a bad note I installed the wraith board and external BEC they supplied in two daysand nothing worked pulled the wraith board back out and put the timbuk2 back in. still nothing but steering? buy your systems directly through novak cause they seems to have it address at the factory but whats on the shelves is a different story. sending in my current stuff to exchange it. once again customer support has been awesome. we'll get it figured out
Old 11-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #209
Rock Stacker

Hello all! This thread hasn't seen attention in a while, but I've just ordered a novak timbuk2 18.5 t system to go in my trail finder 2. I have no experience with brushless, another reason why I choose this system for the plug and play versatility! After reading this I'm kind of worried :/ but I shall be recieving my unit in a couple of days! Then build the trail finder!

I hope everything goes smooth for me!

Kind regards,

Michael.
yota trail finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #210
Rock Crawler

Hi Yota,

Feel free to email us directly if you have any questions. Tech@teamnovak.com or Charlie@teamnovak.com

Thanks!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #211
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hi Yota,

Feel free to email us directly if you have any questions. Tech@teamnovak.com or Charlie@teamnovak.com

Thanks!
Thanks Charlie! Will do if I have any concerns!
Old 12-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #212
Quarry Creeper

I'm getting the vibe from the later part of this thread that as long as folks fresh to the hobby keep buying these setups, novak's happy. As long as their intended demographic shows up & pays, why make adjustments, or accomodate the much smaller hardcore segment? Its business right? I don't dig it at all, but understand it. When i got into crawling 7yrs ago or so, i started with novak stuff too. Still have fond memories of my 1st rooster/55t combo. And really tried to stay loyal. But too many esc's going POOF! So, like others, i'm using castle & tekin stuff now. It's obvious by the posts that novak is selling stuff. And as long as they are, i don't see a change in their philosophy coming anytime soon.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #213
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jado6006 View Post
I'm getting the vibe from the later part of this thread that as long as folks fresh to the hobby keep buying these setups, novak's happy. As long as their intended demographic shows up & pays, why make adjustments, or accomodate the much smaller hardcore segment? Its business right? I don't dig it at all, but understand it. When i got into crawling 7yrs ago or so, i started with novak stuff too. Still have fond memories of my 1st rooster/55t combo. And really tried to stay loyal. But too many esc's going POOF! So, like others, i'm using castle & tekin stuff now. It's obvious by the posts that novak is selling stuff. And as long as they are, i don't see a change in their philosophy coming anytime soon.
So what is it exactly that you want them to do?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #214
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
So what is it exactly that you want them to do?
Honestly, don't have a horse in this race anymore. I've been waiting for years for them to step up, they haven't, & seems they're in no hurry to do so. Ideally, they'd listen to the over abundance of gripes, & address them. And not with "email me" thing. Props to the novak folks for hanging in & not just cutting out of this joint. It's almost a no-win for them at this point(in this thread). Fact is, i'd love to want to buy novak again. But i'm a broke-ass fool, & can't gamble the little buying power i have on the hopes that this esc, or that esc, won't burst into flames. Till they make something like has been gone over many times in this thread, i'll keep buying or trading for proven products from the other companies.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #215
Suck it up!

Thumbs down Re: Novak Timbuk2 Brushless Rock Crawling ESC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jado6006 View Post
Honestly, don't have a horse in this race anymore. I've been waiting for years for them to step up, they haven't, & seems they're in no hurry to do so. Ideally, they'd listen to the over abundance of gripes, & address them. And not with "email me" thing. Props to the novak folks for hanging in & not just cutting out of this joint. It's almost a no-win for them at this point(in this thread). Fact is, i'd love to want to buy novak again. But i'm a broke-ass fool, & can't gamble the little buying power i have on the hopes that this esc, or that esc, won't burst into flames. Till they make something like has been gone over many times in this thread, i'll keep buying or trading for proven products from the other companies.

I don't now why you take issue with doing tech support via email. That is pretty common CS protocol.

I don't know if Charlie is here officially on the behalf and request of Novak, or if he is here on his own, but yes, props to him.

Nobody makes a perfect product. They all have their failures and faults. If you arent comfortable with a certain companies offerings, move on. No need to troll.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #216
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I don't now why you take issue with doing tech support via email. That is pretty common CS protocol.

I don't know if Charlie is here officially on the behalf and request of Novak, or if he is here on his own, but yes, props to him.

Nobody makes a perfect product. They all have their failures and faults. If you arent comfortable with a certain companies offerings, move on. No need to troll.
I've moved on duuude. said as much after you asked. I felt compelled to add to the thread because i've actually supported novak in the past. ME trolling? You read the rest of this thread?!?! save that shit for the masses dude. I've paid my dues, & will voice my opinion when i feel like it.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #217
Suck it up!

You are free to give your opinion, but stating those opinions about a product you don't own made by a company you haven't dealt with in years in their own tech thread is trolling.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:39 AM   #218
Rock Stacker

I just recieved my timbuk2 18.5 system, now my esc has a capacitor already installed! And I have another thing that looks like the capacitor but larger that was included in the box, it has a lead and connector that would plug into a rx? What's this , the bec?

Thanks

Mike
Old 12-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #219
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by yota trail finder View Post
I just received my Timbuk2 18.5 system, now my ESC has a capacitor already installed! And I have another thing that looks like the capacitor but larger that was included in the box, it has a lead and connector that would plug into a RX? What's this , the BEC?

Thanks

Mike
No, it's likely a "glitch buster" which is really just a "cap" (capacitor). Not really what I like to use.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #220
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
No, it's likely a "glitch buster" which is really just a "cap" (capacitor). Not really what I like to use.
X2

And it's also admitting to certain things...
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote