Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: can i use a 12v car battery charger to...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default can i use a 12v car battery charger to...

act as a power supply for a thunder t6 charger....i see you can use a car battery for a power supply so it made sense to me....probably a stupid question...lol...thanks guys..
pugs2300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
cherry bomb

Default Re: can i use a 12v car battery charger to...

you CAN but you will need a car battery hooked up to the charger in order to "clean" the current coming out of it.

a car charger doesn't output an even flow of 12v and on its own I don't think it has the amps to supply enough currrent to charge at high amps.

Last edited by fred0000; 01-06-2012 at 01:17 PM.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Proverbial threadkiller

Admittedly, I haven't read the manual for your T6, but all the manuals for my chargers specifically say not to do that.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

well if i hook up a charger to a battery that is hooked up to my t6 that would be the same as hooking it straight to the charger (i would think)......you can use a car battery for the power supply on these right??? if the car is running its being charged by the alternator....wouldnt that be the same thing....that would be like basically using the alt as the power supply....are you not supposed to have the vehicle running while your using the battery for the power supply...if thats the case wouldn't that kill your battery rather quickly....would just the battery by itself have enough power to charge....this is all confusing to me...thanks for the help guys...keep it coming...lol
pugs2300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I know from experience a charger hooked up to the cars battery while it is NOT running will kill the battery rather quickly. I always let the car run while charging batteries. But I could also be very wrong in how i am doing things. It wouldnt be the first time or last time I did something wrong.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
cherry bomb

you can charge while the car is off, or running, but you can run the battery down to where your car wont start, just be mindful and start it to charge the battery everyonce and a while.

you seem persistant to try the car charger as a power supply, so please.. just try it.

you need it hooked up to a battery so it can support the amps the charger pulls and regulate the power, like I said, it is not a constant or clean 12v coming from a car charger.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I bought a car booster pack (basically a fancy case around a small'ish car battery) for $75 and use that as a power supply for my charger when i'm at the track. The nice part about them is they have their own built in charger so once the booster pack dies you just plug it in to the wall outlet at home to charge up again. No reason you couldn't also use one full time.

I've found that it can support charging at about 5 amps. Not fantastic as my charger is capable of 10, but good enough for while i'm at the track.

I use a modified PC power supply on my bench at home.
mdchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchris View Post
I bought a car booster pack (basically a fancy case around a small'ish car battery) for $75 and use that as a power supply for my charger when i'm at the track. The nice part about them is they have their own built in charger so once the booster pack dies you just plug it in to the wall outlet at home to charge up again. No reason you couldn't also use one full time.

I've found that it can support charging at about 5 amps. Not fantastic as my charger is capable of 10, but good enough for while i'm at the track.

I use a modified PC power supply on my bench at home.
haha, same idea for me, but I bought the booster pack to start my car if I run it down at the track
Old 01-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

My booster pack has a lighter outlet on it so I made an adapter so I can plug my charger in to that for power. It will easily charge a couple 5000mah 2s batteries and a couple of rx packs, and a lot more convenient than running to my car

I've never actually had to charge enough batteries in one race day to kill the booster pack. I believe the one I have is 1.8Ah (18000mah), and you can get bigger ones too. Biggest i've seen is 3.0Ah.
mdchris is offline   Reply With Quote

can i use a 12v car battery charger to... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
12v car battery and charger question ForumSn0w Electronics 9 06-09-2009 08:24 PM
charger turned into 12v power source Calderwood Electronics 4 09-03-2007 04:30 PM
Car battery charger jimk403 General Crawlers 3 10-05-2006 12:37 PM
Charging 12v with 2amp Charger Jimbeaux Newbie General 2 12-26-2005 07:24 AM