Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Traxxas 400 in a redcat gen7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2020, 11:28 AM   #1

Default Traxxas 400 in a redcat gen7

I really think i should post this in the newbie section, but since it involves a servo that needed a ebc for the trx4 etc and putting into a different platform; here I am.

Part 1: I have a new trx4. Every where I read said the steering servo was terrible and to get a 400 oz/in one or better. To keep things simple and at the behest of the Amain website, I bought the traxxas 400 and the traxxas bec add on.

I am now finding there were better options for less, and it only produces about 230 oz/in and the type of use I have been doing and the course I built is very taxing on steering....

Part 2: I bought my daughter a redcat gen7 pro to gauge her true interest in the hobby. Turns out she is really into it. And so is the wife. WINNING!
So if I think the trx4 steering is a bad, the redcat is horrific. I spoke with the guys at redcat who are really nice and they said skip the high steer and get the portals, and the steering is a little better degree wise and you get portals.

Part 3: Can I use the traxxas 400 servo in the redcat? Is it a direct plug in (maybe the plugs are different but I can cut and solder the oem plug onto the traxxas 400 if needed)? Or do I need to add that traxxas ebc or other voltage regulator? Or what would I need to run the traxxas 400 servo in the redcat with the portals?

Part 4: or am I screwed and should just run the traxxas 400 in the trx4 until it blows (apparently that will happen in short time according to posters) and I should invest in a redcat specific servo and then later get the servo everyone recommended for the trx4?

I want to apologize for the entry level question, but RC electronics are so new to me.
Fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Traxxas 400 in a redcat gen7

You’ll be waiting awhile for it to blow then, because it’s tough. It also has more power than what RC Review’s video reflected. If you noticed, most of the servos tested low. And anything Traxxas here is frowned upon for some reason.

That servo is ultra quiet, too, and I haven’t found one quieter. I’ve given mine hell for 6 months in a TRX-6 and I absolutely love this servo’s performance. It even stalls right at the point your parts are going to break. I bought this servo based off performance & specs, not price. Price means nothing to me or anyone ESPECIALLY when you have to keep buying servos!
R/C controls YOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:19 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You can swap around any 1/10 sized servo between 1/10 rigs. Just keep in mind that while most servos have 25 spline output shafts, there are some with 23 or 24. Most RTR servos are 25 spline.

Around here Traxxas electronics aren't highly regarded due to their track record of failures. As an example I've been through 3 rear diff lock servos in a year in one of my TRX4's.

So keep us updated on how that servo works for you. I'm pretty sure it's rebadged with a %50 price increase due to the Traxxas logo.

Glad to hear your family likes it. My 8yo daughter is finally getting involved. The spousal unit however is just telling herself that there are worse addictions to have than toy trucks.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:43 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

traxxass uses magic smoke to hold there electronics together me being a average person who dosent know much about magic cant seem to keep that smoke inside the servo you have to be some high leval wizerd in dungons and dragons to make that servo work in any rig

the plugs are the same and im pretty sure the mounts are the same cause 98% of servos have the same mounts and plugs as long as there standered size
the hobby grade rc industry is pretty standerdized now so almost any part made for any hobby grade rc should fit other hobby grade rc some will require some fudging but alsost any part from the trx4 will fit the redcat with enuff work
if you brake it down any rig is just a set of axles a frame a skid a transmission a motor with some kind of body over it

Last edited by ferp420; 04-12-2020 at 07:51 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:24 PM   #5

ok, so I did the portal axle upgrade on the gen 7.... it has its issues, but the portals give some better clearance and the steering is a hair better... but I struggle to say better.

So Im off to find a servo for the redcat, the portals have highlighted the weakness of the stock servo. Any recommendations? The wife gae me the thumbs up for a replacement.

(BTW, I put the traxxas 400 in the trx4 and its a ton better, I can see something with a little more power being perfect. about another 30% torque being spot on, so Ill live with the 400 for now)
Old 04-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Take a look at the Savox 1230SG. It is rated at 500 oz in at 6v which makes it a nice match with the TRX4 electronics. Also, the HW1080 is a very popular aftermarket replacement for the XL5 ESC.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 04:27 PM   #7

Would the savox work in the redcat gen 7 as well? Like a straight electrical plug in or would it need a ebc?

I’m going to need a steering servo for the redcat probably before the wife would let me replace the traxxas 400 in the trx4
Old 04-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I don't own a Gen 7 so I don't know what the output of the ESC is, but all the servos I have ever seen use the same plug and depending on the spline count it should fit.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #9

Ok. Where i get confused is when the trx4 called for a ebc to run the traxxas 400 servo.

So I don’t quite understand why some need ebc and some don’t.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:36 PM   #10
RCC Addict

OK, a stronger up rated servo will draw more power than the stock TRX4 servo. The stock TRX4 XL5 ESC is rated at 1a 6v output which is only just adequate for the stock servo but is totally insufficient for a more powerful servo hence the need for a BEC. A BEC will provide more power to the servo but I do not recommed the Traxxas BEC simply because it is only compatible with the stock XL5 ESC and only rated at 3a 6v. A better option for about the same price would be to upgrade the ESC to a HW1080 which is just a better all around ESC, is programmable and can drive a more powerful servo like the 1230SG without the need for a BEC. That said, a BEC is still a good idea when running any up rated servo but I recommend a CC 10a BEC at that point along with a HH crossover wiring harness. This all sounds complicated but it really isn't. In general I tell people to avoid the Traxxas electronics primarily because you can buy better aftermarket parts for less money.

Last edited by Inspector86; 04-18-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:18 PM   #11

Thank you that helped a bunch.

So I can just get any servo now that will run off the same volt and amp that the redcat will run or get a bec to run one that needs more power.

Ok. So Next is to find a bec/servo that is harness friendly for the redcat or has plugs that I can solder on to make friendly.

Let’s be honest. My wife goes back to work tomorrow morning and I’m essentially in my own with a 10 month old and a toddler until weds. I won’t be doing anything until Wednesday lol
Old 04-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #12
RCC Addict

The servo should just plug into the RX on CH1. I assume the RecCat receiver uses the standard plugs.

Traxxas 400 in a redcat gen7 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat gen7 with 2.2’s? rj_dio Redcat Crawlers 9 01-14-2018 08:51 PM
Redcat gen7 cut it off? shenlonco Redcat Crawlers 0 11-03-2017 07:13 AM
Anybody taken delivery on a Redcat Gen7 yet? attaboy General Crawlers 8 10-20-2017 09:49 AM
Everest Gen7 Crawler by RedCat jeepgeek2002 General Scale Talk 19 10-10-2017 06:02 AM