Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Help needed with ESC recommendation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #1

Default Help needed with ESC recommendation.

Back Story is Here:

Help this Newb to make his rig SUPER !

Don't know a damn thing (yet) about cralwer ESC's, and didn't think I was going to have to swot up on them this early in the fight. So I need some help.

What ESC do you recommend for the following vehicle/use ?

Truck in question is a 1/8th Scale Redcat Knock-off with
Dual M.O.A. Beiji Guang 540 100t brushed motors. (I don't know any other specs about the motors, nor does google)
Battery in use is a 2S Lipo, and everything is still controlled via the standard 3ch Tx/Rx.

I don't mind spending some bucks (will always use it on future trucks), but I also don't want to buy the ESC they used to run the Mars Rover, if you know what I'm saying.

So, what says you ?

Last edited by Andre N; 02-29-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Andre N is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Help needed with ESC recommendation.

Tekin FXR

Castle Sidewinder V2/SCT

Castle Mamba Max Pro
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #3

Thanks. I'm reading up on them as we speak . . err . . type. (so far the Sidewinder looks promising)

I also got a heads up for the Holmes BRXL.

Another 2 quick newb questions:

None of these ESC's (atleast the ones I've read up on so far) has leads to run 2 motors, only output for one. I'm assuming it's as simple as making up a Y-Splitter and then run both motors off of the one output ?

And when it says an ESC can handle upto a 35t motor for instance. Does that then mean it can handle 35t - 1000t motors, but not 0t -34t motors ?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yea when running dual motors without an electronic dig you would just make a Y off the motor leads. Keep in mind that your rear motor will need to spin the opposite direction than the front. There are a couple ways to handle that, simplest is to run + to - on the rear motor or you can spin the end bell of the motor 180 degrees to reverse motor rotation. You will also want to make sure that your motors both have 0 or positive timing for their correct direction of rotation.

You are correct, when a motor limit is set at 35t then you can run anything 35t or above.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:07 AM   #5

OK, so I've read up on all the ESC's that were recommended, (and some that weren't)

Pulled up this little schematic of the ones I liked. (coincidently it was the exact ones that were recommended. Thanks Guys.)

PriceBECInputConfig System
Tekin FXR1006V/3A2S - 3STekin Hot Wire @ $32
CC SideWinder682S - 3SCastle Link @ 22
CC Mamba Max Pro1285V - 7V2S - 6SCastle Link @ 22
Homes BRXL1006V/5A2S - 6SCastle Link @ 22

I've decided to go for the Sidewinder, not only for the price, but for the way I'm going to run things. I'm going to get a CC BEC to run my current servos. They are of unknown origin, and run on 4.8v currently, and when ever I upgrade, I know I will be able to run whatever I get via the BEC. So, to make the BEC work on the volts I currently, and in the future need, I'm going to have to get the Castle link. So that's already the BEC and Castle Link in my Pocket, so I don't need a ESC with a proper BEC at this time, and having the Castle Link, it only makes sense at this time to buy a ESC that can be Configured via the Castle link. So that kinda makes the Sidewinder fit the criteria.

My Heart says Mamba Max, but sanity says the Sidewinder will fit the current (No pun intended) situation. I'm sure that one day when I do a "Proper" Super, a Mamba or Tekin will make their way in there.

Anyone see any flaws or holes in my reasoning ?

I'll also be buying everything via Tower Hobbies. (I've dealt with them before, and their shipping to S.A. is quick, and I'm also buying a bunch of tools/lugs/wire/odds and sodds while I'm already paying for shipping, and they have everything I'm looking for).

Just to Confirm, this is the Current Sidewinder SV2, that I should be buying and they just have an old/wrong pic on there ?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAUHP&P=ML

Am I missing anything, or am I sort of on the right track here ?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

You might want to look into dual ESCs for your rig. I ran a super with MOA and 1 esc, and the clod stall (rear wheels basically stop moving in a climb) was awful. I never ran dual ESCs, but I believe the idea is each ESC delivers full power to the motor, whereas a single one has to split it between the two, and there is more resistance on the rear motor in a climb.

You can correct it a bit with a different (slower) pinion on the rear. If you run dual ESCs, you will need at least a 3 channel radio, but then you gain the advantage of being able to setup front/rear dig, etc. Something to look into for sure.
AgentXTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
You are correct, when a motor limit is set at 35t then you can run anything 35t or above.
Keep in mind, the turn lower limit is for a SINGLE motor, the ESC may not be happy running 3 35T-40T motors at once.

I did run dual 35T's off an older Mamba Max ESC with a servo dig & it was fine, but the MM is a little more robust than the SW.

I now run dual ESC's & dual 35T's off a Futaba 3PM-x using a WantAmix adaptor. Much better than a servo dig.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traikun View Post
You might want to look into dual ESCs for your rig. I ran a super with MOA and 1 esc, and the clod stall (rear wheels basically stop moving in a climb) was awful. I never ran dual ESCs, but I believe the idea is each ESC delivers full power to the motor, whereas a single one has to split it between the two, and there is more resistance on the rear motor in a climb.

You can correct it a bit with a different (slower) pinion on the rear. If you run dual ESCs, you will need at least a 3 channel radio, but then you gain the advantage of being able to setup front/rear dig, etc. Something to look into for sure.
I must still upgrade my Radio to something decent, current stock one that came with the truck can't do any mixing,etc. So that's a wash.

Also, to be able to do digs is not even on my mind at this point. No comps or serious wheeling in South Africa (yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Keep in mind, the turn lower limit is for a SINGLE motor, the ESC may not be happy running 3 35T-40T motors at once.

I did run dual 35T's off an older Mamba Max ESC with a servo dig & it was fine, but the MM is a little more robust than the SW.

I now run dual ESC's & dual 35T's off a Futaba 3PM-x using a WantAmix adaptor. Much better than a servo dig.
I'm not too worried about the ESC running the Dual motors. Current ones is 100t, and at best it's going to go down to 75t -65t in future.

Anyhoo, pulled the trigger on the Sidewinder, will see how it works out.

Thanks for all your comments,ideas and recommendations.

Help needed with ESC recommendation. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need a motor esc recommendation.. 4drmopar Newbie General 9 04-07-2010 08:01 PM
Motors & ESC....What is a good budget recommendation y2kgtp Newbie General 18 12-22-2009 02:15 PM
Took Kit Recommendation Wanted/Needed getoutandplay Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 11-29-2008 08:04 AM
need recommendation on esc for KD 36-12xl aashu Electronics 13 11-20-2008 11:08 AM