Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Trouble calibrating a new BR-XL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Trouble calibrating a new BR-XL

I am puting together a new C2 and installed the electronics last night. I have a tried and true Spek DX3C, and got a new spek 300 rx and HH BR-XL and Cobalt puller motor. I plugged everything in (sterring, esc, winch, battery) and bound the rx. Good. Then I read the instructions for the BR-XL, and followed the calibration instructions. I have foreward, and good hill hold, but no reverse. I checked and adjusted the throttle trim and still no reverse. I re-calibrated several times but no change.
I'm thinking that when I ran power through it initially to bind the rx it calibrated itself, without me doing the required foreward-till-it-beeps/flashes procedure, and it's stuck in a half-assed calibration.

I do not have a castle link. I have read the instructions over and over.

How do I "erase" the bad-accidental calibration it took so i can re-do it correctly?
Maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Trouble calibrating a new BR-XL

it doesn't sound like calibration, it sounds like your esc is set to forward only. usually this is fixed with the castle link, but since you don't have one.... i'm not sure you can change the settings on the brxl without a castle link. best bet would be to contact holmes hobbies, or ask the lhs if they have a castle link you could use (or if they can hook it up for you).
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
It doesn't sound like calibration, it sounds like your ESC is set to forward only. Usually this is fixed with the Castle link, but since you don't have one.... I'm not sure you can change the settings on the BRXL without a castle link. Best bet would be to contact Holmes Hobbies, or ask the LHS if they have a Castle link you could use (or if they can hook it up for you).
+1.
Although it's for a CC ESC, I believe most of the programming is the same.... http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...s_ed_guide.pdf

Page 22...

Actual HH BR-XL manual..... http://holmeshobbies.com/Common%20fi...ion%201.08.pdf

Last edited by Charlie-III; 04-04-2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Added BR-XL manual link...
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I agree sounds like it is in reverse lockout mode.

To redo the calibration just do it again...
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Okay I got a Castlelink and set it up, plugged everything into the computer (got the 2 green squares-all good), set it up (forward-brake-reverse, no reverse lock-out), and it's still the same. The lights blink like they should and the computer/program says the esc has been successfully updated, but no change. Still only foreward or brake/neutral. If I put a Rooster in everything works fine, so I'm sure it's the esc. I contacted Castle and JRH a couple days ago but no reply yet. Might just get another Rooster (or Goat) and put this guy back in the box.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwedge View Post
Okay I got a Castlelink and set it up, plugged everything into the computer (got the 2 green squares-all good), set it up (forward-brake-reverse, no reverse lock-out), and it's still the same. The lights blink like they should and the computer/program says the esc has been successfully updated, but no change. Still only foreward or brake/neutral. If I put a Rooster in everything works fine, so I'm sure it's the esc. I contacted Castle and JRH a couple days ago but no reply yet. Might just get another Rooster (or Goat) and put this guy back in the box.
OK, silly question, after you checked/redid the set-up, did you recalibrate the ESC to your RX?
Many times, this can fix issues. It's possible you still have an issue with the ESC though.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You getting green light in forwards throttle and red light in reverse? If that is the case you can send it back and we can test it out for you. There is a chance a reverse FET got damaged in shipping, it happens sometimes.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Uh, I don't think so. I did the radio calibration several times, to no good, then bought the CastleLink and tried that several times. I thought the Link would be the end-all be-all, so I haven't re-tried the simple radio cal. since.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Check that again. You may need to reverse the throttle channel if it is backwards on the lights. Then be sure the throttle trims are all the way out (120%) and redo the calibration.

After that if you don't have reverse with proper CLink programming I would say it is hardware related and not software or setup.

Sorry about the slow email response, I got a few days behind when my comm welder went down.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Lemme put my son to bed and I'll get back to it. Thanks John and Charlie, I'll let you know if I get it.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

OKay, lights are green foreward, red in reverse. I turned the trottle all the way out (150%) for both F/R, and re-Radio-Calibrated it. No change. Then retried the castlelink setup, and still no reverse. Hmmm? I think I'm gonna send it back John, then I'll know whether the prob is mechanical or user-error.

Trouble calibrating a new BR-XL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ESC Calibrating rockslide24 Electronics 21 08-03-2011 10:56 AM
Mamba Max Pro not calibrating to transmitter keithgemmill Electronics 23 08-17-2010 08:52 AM
HELP!! Calibrating a speed contol? jeffc Electronics 3 02-02-2009 05:39 AM
FX-R trouble rckcrawler Electronics 3 01-30-2009 09:14 AM
having some trouble xr100 Tires and Wheels 2 04-06-2007 09:46 AM