Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: BR-XL issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default BR-XL issues

Well I had one go out on me and just got a replacement in.

The problem I am having is no signal through the motors. With the wires connected or not I get solid green with full trigger, solid red with brake.

I set up with castle link, checked all electrical connections, played with throttle position, different radio setup, and no dice. Checked motors and they work fine plugged directly into a battery.

I sent email to John and he is pretty quick responding. Just trying to see if anyone has had the same issue and what the fix was for the issue.

Although I use an external BEC I checked to see if the internal BEC was working and it checked out ok.

I am hoping I did not get a bad unit. These are the best ESCs and I have been waiting to go out to crawl.

I am not sure what the Voltage output from ESC to motors but voltmeter read zero while I played with throttle.

Looks like I may be down a few more weeks if I gotta send this unit in to get looked at.
Rok Krawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
JSN
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: BR-XL issues

sounds like the ESC is not arming...do you ever see the yellow/amber led ? ESC has to see neutral for this to happen. have you tried to calibrate the esc's throttle range to your tx?
JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Amber meaing both red and green led blink together? I get 4 blinks,,, 5 sec delay as I have set on cc link, and then 2 more blinks. Then leds stay off until I pull or push trigger.

Just for a test I hooked up an old Novak rooster that I had just to see if I was overlooking any problems. But something I am not doing.. well hopefully... with the BR-XL thats causing me such headache.

Now you mention calibrate TX to ESC.. Are you talking about when you Initially plug it in and set the range with trigger?

Last one I did the basic setup and it worked without any problems.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:11 AM   #4
JSN
Quarry Creeper

http://holmeshobbies.com/Common%20fi...ion%201.08.pdf

follow section 3.1... sometimes you get lucky and neutral is OK out of the box, still it's always a good idea to program throttle range

once set you should see the yellow LED(you may call it amber in color)that indicates neutral.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:21 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

well just went through 3.1 a few times. Even reversed the throttle channel. No luck. Now with old one I would get the beebs. With this replacement unit, I dont get any kind of tone. Just the lights.

After calibration it blinks amber 2 times once in neutral position, then red and green work with trigger accordingly. But no power to motors.

Last edited by Rok Krawl; 04-14-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:29 AM   #6
JSN
Quarry Creeper

did you hook up rooster to the same motor your trying with the BR-XL? reason i ask, the motor is what makes the beeps...if the motor has an issue you'd get no beeps. if the same motor worked with the rooster you know it's not the motor.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:36 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Yep, same motors on rig. Drove forward and reverse on the floor. I just prefer the Holmes Hold and CC link setup for crawler than novak equipment.

But everything seems to work but with no tones comming from motors, my worst fear is that this unit is going to have to be sent back and I will be out another 2 weeks of crawling.

Hoping not so but...
Old 04-14-2012, 04:41 AM   #8
JSN
Quarry Creeper

man... running out of ideas here. Are you using bullet or some other type of connectors for the motor? it's a long shot but maybe a cold solder joint on the ESC side going to the motor.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Wires are directly soldered to each motor, then ESC wires are soldered in the middle of the 2 motor wires in middle of rig. Only connector I use is for the battery. But I have taken wires apart checked for breaks in wire, and soldered back on with no luck.

So I have exhausted all ideas I could think of.

Tomorrow I will try and post a video clip of what it is doing.
Thanks for your help on this ... issue.

Just sounds like that I may have a rotten egg.

even hooked up ESC to a smaller electric airplane motor that I had. Just to troubleshoot. But no tones, no rpms. Even with a volt meter hooked up to see if I was getting anything to motors, but read a constant zero. And thats even going directly to the leads. I wont stick voltmeter leads down into ESC to check the board for voltage. Ill let the experts who built it handle that part of it.

Last edited by Rok Krawl; 04-14-2012 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:53 AM   #10
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

It is possible that you got a dud. I know your replacement ESC was tested before it shipped, but sometimes they "go bad" during shipping.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:53 AM   #11
JSN
Quarry Creeper

Damn...I can't think of anything else it could be but a bum ESC, Maybe John has some other ideas...sorry to say but I'm all out of ideas.

I'm sure John will take care of you

Now thats customer service at 4am!

Last edited by JSN; 04-14-2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:07 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

thanks for reply John. Now when it came in mail, it was in a bubble wrap package, then that was in a small box, and then the box was in a bigger envelope. I kinda wondered if it got tossed around in the mail, and they added the extra envelope, or the box since it was not sealed.

I know stuff like this happens. Got other toys I can play with lol. I can send unit back to you and get it checked out. Eventually want to buy a 2nd ESC since I run MOA.

It works with CC link, and works with remote, just no audible tones or juice to motors.

4am? its 6am here in TX. I was up all night watching Rango on netflix putting in new ESC and doing some light work on the body. But true. Thats true custome service lol.

Last edited by Rok Krawl; 04-14-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #13

I've been up since 2:30am. I have a brushed motor design that won't leave my mind (its gonna be a killer!), and just redid the website and have been cleaning up the transition bugs for the past few hours. The old reviews that I disabled popped back up and everybody's email was visible! If you find any reviews with emails visible help me out and send me a link so I can edit them out.

Thanks for sending an email first, I don't always have a chance to get on RCC and browse the forums.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

yep no prob... and like the new look of your site!

Well Ill get few hours sleep maybe and head up to the post office. Let me know if it truly is a dud or maybe mailman will jumble it around and it will work once it gets back to you.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:30 AM   #15

Lol, that would be funny if it worked again after reshipping. The original packaging job was mine, we try to get them protected for the travels.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Well, I will get it on the way to you. Maybe after a nap it will work this am lol.
If not, then heading back for diagnostics.

Nick

BR-XL issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Issues mamcleo Axial Wraith 9 11-20-2011 05:06 PM
Issues Zander1422 Axial Wraith 9 11-02-2011 02:13 PM
Having issues. rebel GMC Electronics 27 11-19-2009 10:01 PM
Having some issues Wheetness Electronics 6 07-27-2009 10:30 AM
having issues live2crawl Electronics 9 12-27-2007 05:45 PM