Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Safe lowest voltage for a lipo battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 04:06 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Safe lowest voltage for a lipo battery

Does anybody has a list of whats the lowest voltage can each cell be considered safe. Ive been searching but cant find a solid answer. I need to set my lipo alarm and I use both 2 cell and 3 cell batteries. Thanks in advance.
bro_die is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2012, 04:32 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Safe lowest voltage for a lipo battery

i wouldn't go below 3.0v. i typically set my LVC at around 3.3
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:37 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I assume you would be running something like Novak's Smart Stop...cheapest I found is Amazon.com: Smart Stop Auto-Detect Module: 2S/4S: Toys & Games

This newer model handles 2s-4s for ESC's that don't have a low voltage cut off. I always set my LVC to 3.3V/cell as if you read through the instructions on some cheapo Chinese batteries they recommend cutting off at around 3.2V/cell. Even so when you're running the rig or go fast car/buggy you can't monitor exactly how the voltage dips. To be on the safe side I always set to 3.3V/cell even if my C rating is 50C. Now if you're into short course where they run to LVC or "last man standing" events as long as you have a solid name brand pack with good cells you can run it down to 3.0V/cell but that's REALLY pushing it.

Last night I bought a used back up charger and balanced charged to test it before I bought it from the guy. Readings on the charger displayed 3.81V across the board on a 3s. Took it back home hooked it up to my other charger to put it back to storage mode and it already dropped to 3.6V and the drive was about 20 min. The pack has only seen one complete cycle got it from CheapBatterPacks.com

My highest quality packs that has lasted over 3 years MaxAmps 1550 40C 3s (which isn't saying much I just had them from my old MERV VXL), been totally submerged for several submarine runs on my old 2.2 mud scale rig based off an SCX10 frame puffed up like a balloon but after it settled back down it was still able to hold charge and balance properly. Can't say the same about my Venom 20C hard case 5000mah pack. Accidentally over geared on a Slash 4x4 (forgot I had it geared for 3s) and it swelled up to a point that the first cell would read 7-8V and second cell would be tinkering between 0.12V and occasionally 1.3V. Needless to say that pack was done for. Only lasted maybe 15 cycles tops but this was before I learned about lipo storage mode lol!

Long story short if you're running lower end packs like MaxAmps, CheapBatteryPacks.com, HobbyKing's Sky Lipos, Gens Ace, etc...or evern worse Turnigy packs just set it at 3.3V/cell and forget about it!

Btw if you run any Traxxas ESC's that have LVC once you notice a power dip don't drive it until it's completely has no more juice. The LVC on all Traxxas ESC's are probably set to 3.0V/cell. I ruined an old lipo like that...completely user error. Wish Traxxas allows the Castlelink feature like they have on the MMM based rigs instead of the VXL line.

Last edited by alexchen86; 05-02-2012 at 04:41 AM.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Minimum is usually listed as 3.0 VPC, most use 3.2 or 3.3 VPC. I use 3.2 VPC.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 05-14-2012 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Add a little info.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:34 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Set it as high as you can stand. I never go below 3.3 volts per cell, and some of my combos are 3.5 vpc.

Once lipo's hit 3.5 volt per cell at low discharge rates, there's essentially no capacity left.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thank you for the fast reply.
bro_die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
RCC Addict

With my AE-2's I set cutoff to 6.8v (so 3.4/cell) because auto cutoff is set to 3.0/cell and the esc lets it get well below that.

With my Sidewinders I set the auto to 3.4/cell and leave it in auto so I can run 2s or 3s. I run only 2s with the AE-2's.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i set my cutoff at 3.4vpp. if i hit cutoff under hard throttle is when i usually take my packs off. the pack will generally normalize back at 3.8vpp depending on the system it was plugged into. for systems, like in my crawler, that do not draw alot of amps it will cut off alot closer to a true 3.4vpp.

i also use an integy lipo checker/alam to check my packs. the alarm will sound if any one cell drops below a set voltage. i use this with ESC that have no cutoff and with my e revo because it draw an amazing amount of amps.
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #9

what i have heard and read is 3.2 volts per cell
bmxwayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Safe lowest voltage for a lipo battery - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FREE LiPo Battery Tester and Low Voltage Alarm Giveaway from MaxAmps.com! BrandonW Electronics 184 03-09-2012 02:19 AM
Lipo Battery Monitors/Voltage testers - Now in stock! Locked Up Locked Up RC 2 03-02-2012 10:33 PM
Lowest MAH lipo used in LCC samdog Team Losi Comp Crawler 19 03-15-2011 03:14 PM
Lowest Possible Battery Harvo Newbie General 6 03-20-2008 11:11 PM
Lowest voltage? gopher General Crawlers 3 05-05-2006 08:39 PM