Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: how do i make lee ermey remote control?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default how do i make lee ermey remote control?... updated with pics of how i did it!!! 6/3

ok so im doing a 1:6 willys build and i have a talking r lee ermey action figure, he talks when you push the button on his back . i measured the voltage at the button after i tore him apart... it jumped up to like 3.4 volts ( he runs off three 1.5v button cells). i need to make him talk remotely somehow.... need some advice on how to go about it. if possible id like to stuff all the electronics in his body and be able to hit a remote keychain or something to make him talk. i thought about something like them remote fart machines to gut for parts or maybe a really small rc something or ?... how do i remotely bridge the connection momentarily on his push button? i cant use a channel on my reciever cause im already using all 4 for other things. im decent with electical circuits but im no guru...

should i use physical means to make something push the button or can i just rig up some wires from another device to the push button on ermey to activate it?

Last edited by brandonwalsh420; 06-03-2012 at 09:15 PM.
brandonwalsh420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #2

Default Re: how do i make lee ermey remote control?

you could put a limit switch on some part of your steering making a simple connection parallel to the doll button, then when you make a full turn in one direction it triggers the button.
recordingwhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

There are little hobby kits that have an IR keychain transmitter and small reciever that would work. Kind of like the RC4WD winch controller.
Here's one that was ment for automotive applications, but might work if the reciever is not too big.

FRYS.com*|*Logisys

You could also search the toy isles. I have a small toy truck that came with an IR Rx that activated an alarm on the truck, beaped a horn or made the truck drive for 10 feet.
ThunderVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordingwhiz View Post
you could put a limit switch on some part of your steering making a simple connection parallel to the doll button, then when you make a full turn in one direction it triggers the button.
i thought about trying something like that but it would be annoying after awhile... id rather have him all self contained (or maybe with a wire running to a separate box). i want to be able to put him separate from the vehicle and still make him talk remotely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderVP View Post
There are little hobby kits that have an IR keychain transmitter and small reciever that would work. Kind of like the RC4WD winch controller.
Here's one that was ment for automotive applications, but might work if the reciever is not too big.

FRYS.com*|*Logisys

You could also search the toy isles. I have a small toy truck that came with an IR Rx that activated an alarm on the truck, beaped a horn or made the truck drive for 10 feet.
if it wasnt for 12 volts id give it a shot... im thinking a converted small rc some thing is probly the way to go. im confused on whether i have to have it push his button physically or if i can activate it electricly (and not fry ermey's electonics) , and if i can activate it electricly how i should go about doing it.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwalsh420 View Post
i thought about trying something like that but it would be annoying after awhile... id rather have him all self contained (or maybe with a wire running to a separate box). i want to be able to put him separate from the vehicle and still make him talk remotely.

if it wasnt for 12 volts id give it a shot... im thinking a converted small rc some thing is probly the way to go. im confused on whether i have to have it push his button physically or if i can activate it electricly (and not fry ermey's electonics) , and if i can activate it electricly how i should go about doing it.
Wire a bec up to control the voltage going to him and then use an rc switch to turn the voltage on or off to make him talk or stop talking. I dont see why it wouldnt work. Rip him open and see what the switch does, that will tell you what you need to get it to work.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Wire a bec up to control the voltage going to him and then use an rc switch to turn the voltage on or off to make him talk or stop talking. I dont see why it wouldnt work. Rip him open and see what the switch does, that will tell you what you need to get it to work.
hes tore apart and i tried a lil test , i pulled the batterys out and held the button down then applied power from the batterys... he only talks when the power is connected (he will stop mid sentence when you take the power away)... im trying to steer away from having him wired into the vehicle. all the button does is complete a circuit which makes him say one of his lines using power from his 3 button cells. i just need a remote way to complete the circuit momentarily...
heres some pics of his guts... maybe they will help trigger some ideas...
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Got Worms?

whats your budget?
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
whats your budget?
i was hoping to be able to do it for 40 bucks or so... less would be nice tho...

Last edited by brandonwalsh420; 05-06-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Why not have it wired into the truck? You already have a remote, why complicate it by adding an additional remote?
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #10
Got Worms?

You can morph this for your needs fairly easily

IR Remote Toggle Switch Kit
Old 05-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Why not have it wired into the truck? You already have a remote, why complicate it by adding an additional remote?
i already have all 4 channels doing something else on the remote... ideally it would work off of a keychain thing kinda like on the remote fart machines... doesnt seem too complicated... but im not sure how to make it work...
Old 05-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
You can morph this for your needs fairly easily

IR Remote Toggle Switch Kit
just looked at it and in the manual it says 8-15 volts to power it and it outputs 5.5... i think the 5.5 is too much for ermeys electronics... same problem with the other ones i found when i google searched... most are rated at 12 volts... the scale of him is big tho so i can hide some electronics in an ammo box, jerry can, or something if i need to.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #13

Get one of those remote farting gag gift things.
Mount the internals to the key fob control in your remote TX and record whatever you want over the farting noise chip on the RX unit for the toy.

One of these

Amazon.com: Remote Control Fart Machine 2- Electronic Farting Gag: Toys & Games

You should be able to hook it to a smaller speaker?

Or use the hand controller technology and adapt the RX part of the fart toy and adapt it with the record and playback part of this...

Amazon.com: 10 Second Recordable Sound Chip for Make Your Own Stuffed Animals: Toys & Games

Possibly something adaptable from here?

voice recorder,Animal Sound Caller,Talking Gifts,Talking Photo Albums,Talking Photo Frame- TERS ELECTRONIC LTD http://www.lookmycoach.com http://www.cheapjerseystimes.com http://www.cheapjerseysfine.com http://www.cheapjerseys-shopping.com http://www

Or here?

China Recordable products,sound modules,voice recorders,sound books,toy voice recorders Catalog - Saike Tech. Co., Ltd.
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like you don't want to use your remote control to do this because you are out of channels, but if you upgraded to transmitter with more channels, I could modify one of my remote switch for LEDs to have a relay output. There would be two wires that you would solder to the two contacts of the existing switch. Then every time you clicked the channel, it would be the same as pushing the button.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX_138 View Post
Get one of those remote farting gag gift things.
Mount the internals to the key fob control in your remote TX and record whatever you want over the farting noise chip on the RX unit for the toy.

One of these

Amazon.com: Remote Control Fart Machine 2- Electronic Farting Gag: Toys & Games

You should be able to hook it to a smaller speaker?
this was the first thing i thought, to use it, and just hook the speaker wire up to ermeys button... not sure if this would fry ermeys electronics though... this would be activating him electricly. im also not sure how i would change the farting noise to something else, the noise part of the electonics is hiding in the mysterious black blob on the board, im sure its the same on the fart machine...

then i thought what if i make a small motor from something like a zip zap move a small peice of metal on an arm to complete the connection between 2 pins (ermeys button). this would be activating his switch through physical means.

doing it electricly would be easier but i dont want to fry his electronics,... doing it physicly would be more work and probly take up more space but theres way less risk of frying his circuit...

if i use the zip zap i need to replace the battery with something better because the one in the car only holds a charge for a short period of time (no big deal to swap the battery though, ive done it before with a tiny lipo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
Sounds like you don't want to use your remote control to do this because you are out of channels, but if you upgraded to transmitter with more channels, I could modify one of my remote switch for LEDs to have a relay output. There would be two wires that you would solder to the two contacts of the existing switch. Then every time you clicked the channel, it would be the same as pushing the button.
im trying to avoid buying another controller, i have a 4pl already and a new tx and rx would be spendy.

could i just hook a relay up to the speaker on the fart machine?... or can i hook up the speaker wire to a tiny motor and make it complete the circuit through physical means? (like stated above)

thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate it
Old 05-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #16
Got Worms?

Quote:
just looked at it and in the manual it says 8-15 volts to power it and it outputs 5.5... i think the 5.5 is too much for ermeys electronics... same problem with the other ones i found when i google searched... most are rated at 12 volts... the scale of him is big tho so i can hide some electronics in an ammo box, jerry can, or something if i need to.
Its operates a relay, on/off, it doesn't output nothing.

8-15 volts can be modified if needed. Its a kit, a different regulator can be bought.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #17
Got Worms?

Quote:

im trying to avoid buying another controller, i have a 4pl already and a new tx and rx would be spendy.
A new controller isn't that spendy
Old 06-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

so i did make it all happen... thought i would post some pics...used a small coke can rc i got on ebay for 8$... it has aboult a 10ft range which im fine with... made the controller smaller so it looks better when its velcro-ed to my controller... ... let me know what you guys think
Attached Images

how do i make lee ermey remote control? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First remote control ever invented... justinart24 Chit Chat 3 04-13-2011 08:38 AM
remote control ? camobob Redcat Crawlers 9 02-22-2010 09:59 AM
Which Remote control Jmterminator Newbie General 15 01-14-2009 07:03 PM
Remote Control Fishing roktoy Chit Chat 4 01-13-2008 02:01 PM
Remote Control Range smtv Newbie General 8 11-27-2007 02:42 PM