Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Motor stopped!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #21

Default Re: Holmes Hobbies is junk!

all i have heard is holmes and brood motors are the best you can get. I am saving up for a new motor and esc. I want holmes brxl esc because everyone says hands down they are the best.
Chack100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the advice guys. This is a harsh crowd. Seriously though, if I had put "Motor stops" I don't believe I would've had such a mass flow of responses. And for the record, I highly respect Homles Hobbies and I do think he produces quality products. I thought I said that. Thank you for the answers!
ah_5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #23
Defy Gravity

maybe you should delete this thread or at least change the thread title....for the record, making a blatant claim that a vendor is making a junk product when you are the second owner is pretty much tattooing "i'm a massive douchebag" on your user title. instead of emailing john, or posting in a thread such as the motor tweaks thread, you do this instead. firmly on my not to deal with list.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #24
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_5500 View Post
Seriously though, if I had put "Motor stops" I don't believe I would've had such a mass flow of responses.
That's because there are multiple threads that would have answered your question had you taken the time to search for them.

If it were up to me, this thread would be deleted and an infraction reward given. Its pretty fawked up to make a title like that just so you'll get some attention, especially when it involves one of RCC's top vendors.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
This is a harsh crowd.
We're being nice considering....

Quote:
Seriously though, if I had put "Motor stops" I don't believe I would've had such a mass flow of responses.
You would be surprised. Despite many of us being assholes, we are a helpful bunch of assholes. All thread titles like yours does is earn you a bad reputation and make earning any respect very difficult. The more you slide in to the disrespectful, the less friendly our responses would be.

Next time use the search button noob
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #26
Holmes Hobbies

NAAAAAAAAA!!

CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

I would say he is lucky Mr. Holmes himself didn't chime it.

OP, you may want to change the title sooner rather than later...
PFC FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
Should we ask if it's got an external BEC in it? If it's happening like you say, years back before external BEC's, I've seen that happen....even when we were all running 6 cell stick packs.
Not everyone tried to run a 3hp motor off a 6cell NiCd.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Motor stopped!

Done. I changed it and sorry to cause such a stir. Now everybody else will have to wonder what the fuss was about. True, this is a very helpful group of people.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshull View Post
My motor is brand new and messing up. I'm thinking maybe there not the best for scalers that run in mud an water.
my HH motors are in mud and water all the time, sounds like lack of maintenance on your end. maybe your RS10 motors will work better in your scaler.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Since we're on the subject, how often should you maintenance a motor. I have only had mine for about 2 months before this started. What does maintenance generally consist of? PS: no water or mud for me, yet.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
mud, water, hill climbs, binding rocks, sled pulls, 2nd gear speed runs in a 10lb rig
I love Hera
Old 06-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Since we're on the subject, how often should you maintenance a motor. I have only had mine for about 2 months before this started. What does maintenance generally consist of? PS: no water or mud for me, yet.
I try and maintain mine after every day of use. Pull the armature, put it on the motor lathe and turn the comm, clean the brushes with a fiberglass pen, spray all the dust off with electric motor cleaner and reassemble.

Like I said... try...

When that does not happen I just blast the motor out with compressed air, but again after every day of crawling.

After water, mud, or heavy dust conditions I will certainly do the 1st step. A day just playing on the rocks and the latter.

At least once a month I tear them down and do the full clean. Every 3 months or so I replace the brushes.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #34
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I just stopped in because of the thread title "motor stopped", haha! Everything has been covered well. You can certainly send it my way if you need it looked at with a professional eye.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

Thanks, lol. Like I said, sorry if I offend anyone. I really didnt mean to. I will probably be sending it in to get an overhaul.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #36
WAM
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
I try and maintain mine after every day of use. Pull the armature, put it on the motor lathe and turn the comm, clean the brushes with a fiberglass pen, spray all the dust off with electric motor cleaner and reassemble.
Really? You turn the com every day? I know you went on to say that this was just a goal and sometimes you shortcut. But still...I had no idea that people were into this level of maintenance. I'm guessing your maintenance is way over the top compared to most. I'm impressed.

I picked up on this thread because my 'motor stopped'. Maybe it's because I'm at the opposite end of the maintenance philosophy (what...you have to clean these things?)

Last edited by WAM; 07-27-2012 at 09:41 AM.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #37

If you want best performance on a brushed motor, that is what is needed.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #38
WAM
Rock Crawler

Actually, I was mainly searching to see what guys were using for cleaners, bearing oil and com lube. I've found sources for electric motor apray cleaners and bearing oil, but no hits on com lube.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #39

I haven't found comm lube to be useful in crawling. Tried it for a while, and it caused more issues with particulate attraction than anything else. I think Eddie may carry some non petroleum based comm oil that would not attract dirt so much, see what he says about it.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I haven't found comm lube to be useful in crawling. Tried it for a while, and it caused more issues with particulate attraction than anything else. I think Eddie may carry some non petroleum based comm oil that would not attract dirt so much, see what he says about it.
+1, comm lube on a carpet 12th or 10th pan car was great (for a couple minutes.....) but not what I would use for a longer runtime or in dirty conditions.

As to cutting comm's that much, a armature vendor may say, "Sure, cut it every 10 minutes of runtime!!" so they sell new arms faster.

With crawling, I find I do a LOT less motor maintenance than when I ran carpet or dirt tracks.
Low gearing & lack of long times running full/close to full throttle helps this, not much arcing on the brushes or comm which reduces comm wear.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote

Motor stopped! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would you like to see in Holmes Hobbies JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 81 01-14-2024 06:21 AM
holmes hobbies xjwalt666 Chit Chat 9 10-26-2007 03:06 PM