Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Motor stopped!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Motor stopped!

Comm drops are a touchy thing with me. I'll be honest, I didn't use them a lot in the racing days. Big Jim loved that tribo stuff, but I thought it was a terrible comm drop.....was a great bushing lube though. Towards the end of the racing days, I figured out some cool stuff from the slot car guys. I used it SOMETIMES......it was really dependent on the track, car, motor, driver, etc. Often I found them more useful during break in than on the track.

We sometimes found baking certain brushes in the comm drop at say 200 degrees or so....or sometimes just soaking them for days/weeks/months did a better job than a squirt on the comm....in fact, tribo actually was AMAZING if baked into the brushes.

The problem with the track, is most are dirty. Even carpet has dust....mostly from the foams and such, but still there. Crawlers are worse than offroad racing in my opinion.

I never bought into the non-petroleum vs petroleum thing either. If it worked, it worked....I would say 90% of what worked had some amount of petroleum in it to some degree.

I sell comm drops, people asked for them.....so I added them again. I don't sell a lot, maybe a couple bottles a month. Its simply not very popular....especially since only 1 out of 50 even cleans his motor.

As for how often to cut the comm.....well, I say an HOUR of solid run time. Not course time, but think an hour of running the motor straight. Typically just a VERY light skim cut is needed, which often leads to the arm lasting longer than 1 big cut every other month. I tend to advise my guys, cut it before your big comps....so comp, practice, practice, practice....cut comm before next comp. Seems to work well...of course, if you end up in nasty conditions (dust, water, mud, hookers), you should cut it ASAP...

At worst, a can of motor spray and some compressed air can do wonders for cleaning a motor, better than nothing.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Motor stopped! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would you like to see in Holmes Hobbies JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 81 01-14-2024 06:21 AM
holmes hobbies xjwalt666 Chit Chat 9 10-26-2007 03:06 PM