Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Dig Servo Running hot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #1

Default Dig Servo Running hot?

Running a LCC and finally got my dig servo back. checked the endpoints and theyre good and its engaging/disengaging properly but i noticed the casing is warm after messing with it on the bench.
didnt even run it and its warm, my BEC is set at 6V system is on 3S lipo.

already sent the servo to hi tec and had it fixed from frying the first one. any idea why its getting so hot? is this common?
hidesintrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Dig Servo Running hot?

What servo? What radio? Some radio's can fry a non-digital servo as soon as they are plugged in, esp. mini/micro ones commonly used on digs.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

you could have the EPA set too high, so the servo is is trying to push the dig farther then it needs to go

im running a dig on my SCX10 and i screwed up my first servo because my epa was set too high and i stripped out the plastic gears in it,

but now that i have a new servo with titanium gears i have my EPA set to 25% when in drive and 10% locked so my servo only turns 10% on way and 25% the other way so it's not constantly pushing and burning up the servo

And what that guy said^
my radio has more settings then my ipod so i can mess around with any setting possible
so it depends if your radio can even adjust the EPA on it
ZackMicF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:37 AM   #4

radio is a spektrum dx3r and the servo is a 35$ hitec ill look at the number in the morning. its definitely being cooked i turned it run my axles after greasing them and within a few minutes the dig servo had heat
Old 06-28-2012, 04:10 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i'd try to turn what ever setting it is on your controller down so your servo isn't turning so far, you want 100% power just not full turning radius
like i have mine setup so it turns only 60* total, so when i make it go left it only goes 15* but it goes 45* the other way and it wont go any farther, but when i turn my EPA up my servo can turn about 70* both ways making so my servo can go the 140* but i don't need it to go that far because my dig only needs 60* of travel out of the servo to lock and engage

i think what your doing is the servo is pushing farther then it needs to be. so lets say it needs to travel 30* left to lock up well your servo doesn't know that so it's pushing trying to go the whole 70* but it can't go that far because it's already locked up so it just heats up, it's just like when you get a crawler in a super bad bind but you keep giving it throttle tell you smoke the motor, same thing. the servo is getting power it just doesn't know where to put it

i hope that made sense

Last edited by ZackMicF; 06-28-2012 at 04:13 AM.
ZackMicF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
RCC Addict

A Dx3R on the faster frame rate settings is probably the issue, if the servo doesn't have four numbers in the model # you need to turn your frame rate down. When this happened to me all I did was plug the servo into the rx, didn't even have a horn on it yet.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #7

thanks i just looked through all the options on my controller and found the framerate thing. i turned it down from 11 to 5.5 well see if this does the job. Im not sure how to set my trim levels on the dig yet. gonna mess around with it till i figure it out. i set it so its in the middle 4wd when it starts up and am thinking i need to pull the arm off and turn it so it doesnt have to set itself in neutral/4wd. anyone know what trim terminology i would be looking for to trim my aux channel? its set on 3 position
Old 06-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidesintrees View Post
thanks i just looked through all the options on my controller and found the framerate thing. i turned it down from 11 to 5.5 well see if this does the job. Im not sure how to set my trim levels on the dig yet. gonna mess around with it till i figure it out. i set it so its in the middle 4wd when it starts up and am thinking i need to pull the arm off and turn it so it doesnt have to set itself in neutral/4wd. anyone know what trim terminology i would be looking for to trim my aux channel? its set on 3 position
You are likely looking at "EPA's" or "endpoint adjustments" which is where the TX will stop telling the servo to go.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #9

took it for a test run tonight and after adjusting different things in my controller and regreasing the shit out of my worms my LCC is back in action and killin it. heading to the groundhog comp in bend tomorrow if anyones going
Old 06-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I'm running a DX3C on my Wraith. Just installed a dig on it. I set my aux channel (dig) to 3 position. Then I had to go into the "travel" menu on my radio and turn it down to 19 or 20% (can't remember exactly). Then I used my sub-trim to fine tune the end points.
I don't think my DX3C has independent EPA adjustments for each of the 3 positions. Your DX3S may have those. If so, it will make it a little quicker and easier to adjust the dig.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #11

i have the Dx3R. aaaand my dig fried tonight. I adjusted mine the same way you did and it worked good until it just stopped. weeeeak
Old 07-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

1st off you may just have a bad servo, it happens sometimes.

2nd- if both the steering and dig servo are digital you can set the frame rate to 5.5. If one or the other or both are non-digital, you have to use 11ms or 16.5ms not 5.5ms.

3rd- If using 3 position aux, set your nuetral (center position) with the aux sub-trim first.., You may or may not need to do this depending on if your servo horn sits at center when installed on the servo and aux sub-trim is at 0. Some horns sit one tooth to the right or left when the servo is at 0 or center. Also your link from s.horn to dig may be the wrong length so this is why you use the aux sub-trim to center it where you want it.
Then set your high/low (right/left) travel with aux travel setting. You can set both together for the same travel or you can set high/low (right/left) seperately by turning the steering wheel to the right for high setting or left for low setting.
In some cases, just like with steering servo travel, the aux high or low (left or right) travel needs to be set to its own personal max travel setting and not both set to same max travel.
This keeps the servo from pushing to far one way or the other and creating excess heat and pressure on itself which will kill a little servo like those used in a lot of dig set-ups.

Hope this helps you hornswagglers.
STEW<CO> is offline   Reply With Quote

Dig Servo Running hot? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor Running Hot.....Help Sh0rtBus Axial Wraith 35 04-24-2012 02:07 PM
How Hot Are You Running Your Wraith? alexchen86 Axial Wraith 6 04-16-2012 09:06 AM
CC S-2 Running HOT! TrailDawg362 Electronics 0 07-06-2011 06:12 PM
Hot racing dig servo mount on the tranny? Flatty Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 07-17-2009 06:50 PM
motor running HOT dhoffroad Electronics 2 08-02-2007 10:15 PM