Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Shrunken and Bundled Electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Shrunken and Bundled Electronics

When you guys are decasing, shrinkwrapping and mounting your electronics on the RR motor skid (or equivelent) how are you securing the shrink wrapped bundle to the mounting surface?

Thanks!
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: Shrunken and Bundled Electronics

Heavy duty velcro I buy in a large roll from the hardware store.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Either velcro or servo tape.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

velcro, them my decased receiver is velcro'd on top of that
Super Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Its not a very even surface. Does the Velcro stick well to the shrink wrap? I'm assuming you use the soft side on the shrink wrap.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Its not a very even surface. Does the Velcro stick well to the shrink wrap? I'm assuming you use the soft side on the shrink wrap.
You are correct about the uneven surface. To make the surface even (although it's not that important) I use an interfacing material that I buy from a fabric store. I cut the interfacing around the wires and it serves to both insulate the circuit boards and level out the surface.

A good quality velcro will stick to the shrink wrap with no issues. As a precaution, I like to wipe the area I am going to stick the velcro to with denatured alcohol first to remove any oil or residue. I also use my heat gun on the lowest setting to warm up both the velcro and the area the velcro will be stuck to. Those extra steps insure a strong bond over a long period.

I like to use the soft side on all removable items (such as lipo batteries, ESC, BEC, RX, etc) and use the firm side on the chassis, axle plate, link mounts, etc. One reason for doing it that way is for easy clean up. The firm side of the velcro cleans easily from debris and mud, where as the soft side soaks it up.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
You are correct about the uneven surface. To make the surface even (although it's not that important) I use an interfacing material that I buy from a fabric store. I cut the interfacing around the wires and it serves to both insulate the circuit boards and level out the surface.

A good quality velcro will stick to the shrink wrap with no issues. As a precaution, I like to wipe the area I am going to stick the velcro to with denatured alcohol first to remove any oil or residue. I also use my heat gun on the lowest setting to warm up both the velcro and the area the velcro will be stuck to. Those extra steps insure a strong bond over a long period.

I like to use the soft side on all removable items (such as lipo batteries, ESC, BEC, RX, etc) and use the firm side on the chassis, axle plate, link mounts, etc. One reason for doing it that way is for easy clean up. The firm side of the velcro cleans easily from debris and mud, where as the soft side soaks it up.
And that will conclude today's lesson class, see you all again tomorrow.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post

Awsome.

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I use some 3m double sided tape. I tried to keep mine as flat as possible on the bottom so when the wrap shrinked it was semi flat. It is holding well and can be folded onto it self to take care of any waves in the shrinked components.
irokcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

i create a flat area out of hitemp hot glue then servo tape
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shrunken and Bundled Electronics - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lowering the body and the electronics getting the electronics in a waterproof box m1009cucv Axial SCX-10 15 10-01-2011 07:45 PM
Electronics ? ovalracer Superclass Crawlers 0 04-25-2011 02:57 PM
new electronics rodog22 Newbie General 7 10-03-2010 01:29 PM
help with electronics USAF-offroad Newbie General 10 09-21-2010 08:18 AM
electronics crawl it 2.2 Newbie General 0 09-12-2006 07:04 AM