Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Upgrading Radio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #1

Default Upgrading Radio

Hi

I plan on purchasing a Axial Wraith very soon and I am trying to decide if it is worth it to upgrade the radio that comes with it ?

Here are some factors that I am considering

1. I plan on upgrading my throttle servo (higher torque) so i can have better steering.
2. The axial radio that does provide endpoint adjustment
3. If I uprgraded my radio then i could have more model memory more channels etc.
4. I do not plan on converting my wraith to 4 wheel steering or building a r/c rig with 4 wheel steering.

I do plan on purchasing another rc rig short course truck or buggy later on. My budget would be no more than $250 transmitter with rx at the current time.
I understand this is based on personal preferance but for what I have stated above could u guys reccomend a radio to me whether it be a spekrum or futaba or jr etc ?

Thanks Scott
baddley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #2

Default Re: Upgrading Radio

Scott.

Most RTR kits come with electronics that will allow you to get out and get moving quickly. Usually they are not what one might consider to be the best and are often soon replaced with higher quality equipment.

With what you have posted you are already considering replaceing the radio with one that is more adjustable, and steering servo with something stronger. Plus you want a radio that has more channels and model memory.

My .02 worth would be pass on the Wraith rtr kit and get the Wraith builders kit and add your electronics. You will spend a little more off the start but you will end up with a better rig with the motor, esc, servo, and radio that you want.

As far as a radio goes I would take a look at the Futaba 4PL. Have it in my comp rig, and it allows all the adjustment I need. Extra receivers are a little higher $$ than some of the other brands, but for the price you get a very good quality unit.
HarleyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The wraith comes with the new 2.4ghz that is essentially a Turnigy/hobby king radio. they are decent radios from what Ive read, but if you decide you want more channels for a winch,lights, more setup options & multiple model memory I would recommend a GT3B or GT3C. A benefit is they will bind to the axial RX so you can use the included RX with another RC.
If you decide to go with a GT3B or GT3C i STRONGLY recommend a hacked radio from LosiKid. The hacked firmware is well worth it IMO.
going with a pre hacked setup is also cheaper than other radios with less options. they start at $50-$75 for prehacked setups

Last edited by spoo76; 07-16-2012 at 05:00 AM.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm a Futaba guy, so a 3PM-x or 4PL.
But, I'm also using a hacked GT3B, great radio at any price, even better at it's current price. Hit up LosiKid here, or www.OverKillRC.com .
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote

Upgrading Radio - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FYI on upgrading to DIGITAL servo and stock RTR AX10 radio system! goodoldlevi Newbie General 7 04-15-2013 08:59 AM
anyone know anything about upgrading processors? STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 26 10-10-2011 02:36 PM
upgrading the shocks? ah_5500 Venom Creeper 26 01-15-2010 06:59 PM
Upgrading my Emaxx... radio system ???? andres-tavares Chit Chat 16 08-17-2007 02:24 PM
Upgrading the servo ridgewalker HPI Wheely King 8 06-15-2007 09:35 PM