Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: LED Lighting Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default LED Lighting Help

I been searching and reading about LEDs and found lots of small info on designing a system. I do want to make my own set up. It appears not to be to hard, just paying attention to the small details. Has anyone seen or used this?

DynaOhm Driver, 2 Lead Constant Current Resistor | Drivers | Component LED Accessories | Component LEDs | Super Bright LEDs

This is the PDF spec sheet http://d114hh0cykhyb0.cloudfront.net...06_DynaOhm.pdf

When I added some LEDs to my cart this recommendation came up. Thanks for any help you might give me. I did mention this in my build thread but I figured I might get help here from the experts.

Last edited by juswin24; 09-03-2012 at 05:12 PM.
juswin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: LED Lighting Help

I've never used them but read the datasheet and as long as one of those currents (20mA, 25mA, or 30mA) is what you're looking for then it will work just fine. If you plan on putting more than one LED in series make sure you calculate that you'll still have the 2.6V min. regulating voltage required after subtracting the forward voltage (Vf) of the LEDs from your battery voltage.

I just use resistors, more flexible and cheaper.
YJ_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

What exactly are trying to do?

Leds are typically a battery, wire resistor and the led. I don't think you need anything else unless you are making something specific. Search the interwebs for led calculator to find the correct resistor for the input voltage for the leds you are using.

Heyok make a light controller also. Its badass!!
Check out the vendor section.
profsrkos2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by profsrkos2012 View Post
What exactly are trying to do?

Leds are typically a battery, wire resistor and the led. I don't think you need anything else unless you are making something specific. Search the interwebs for led calculator to find the correct resistor for the input voltage for the leds you are using.

Heyok make a light controller also. Its badass!!
Check out the vendor section.
The only reason I can see this being worth the money is if you plan to change battery voltage from time to time. But then I just run off the BEC, LEDs don't use much current.
YJ_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #5

i've seen some systems w/ turn signals and brakes integrated into the lighting systems. mostly on drift cars but i'm sure you could apply them to anything. they work w/ steering and braking inputs from your control. you don't need a separate channel
DemetriM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'm want to add LEDs to to my Dingo. Most likely 4-5mm up front along with 4-6 3mm up front and then 4 for the rear end. I didnt think i would run in series, just parallel. I was just pricing and adding to cart on the site when it recommended that part. I hadn't priced resistors yet and didn't know if that was a better way to go. I've searched here and it doesn't seem to hard. I found the calculator to show what I need also.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
RCC Addict

The resistor in the link you have posted is way over kill. A 1/4W 120 ohm resistor cost around 3 cents when you buy a 100 of them.
Also the resistor value doesn't have to match exactly what the calculator comes up with. Example, 116ohms, you can use 120 ohms.

For operating LEDs with 6 volts the common values are 100 and 120 ohms. if you have trouble finding resistors send me a PM and can send you a few for the postage.

A big thumbs up on the Heyok light controller.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
The resistor in the link you have posted is way over kill. A 1/4W 120 ohm resistor cost around 3 cents when you buy a 100 of them.
Also the resistor value doesn't have to match exactly what the calculator comes up with. Example, 116ohms, you can use 120 ohms.

For operating LEDs with 6 volts the common values are 100 and 120 ohms. if you have trouble finding resistors send me a PM and can send you a few for the postage.

A big thumbs up on the Heyok light controller.
Thanks. I'll let you know.

Thanks for all the replies from everyone!

LED Lighting Help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
led lighting and howto? shaggy2112 Electronics 29 08-14-2013 04:23 PM
LED lighting system KC_JoNeS General Scale Talk 38 03-11-2012 09:05 PM
LED Lighting? Drey Electronics 5 01-19-2010 03:17 PM
LED lighting question 86 Iroc Electronics 8 12-20-2009 09:26 AM