Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Can't Seem to Connect my CC BEC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Can't Seem to Connect my CC BEC

I'm trying to change 6.0V to 7.4V on my CC BEC via the CastleLink but for some reason when I plug in the USB adapter the light doesn't flash green like it used to.

I'm only getting the red light meaning the USB cable is active. I open up CastleLink and same thing...it just does not recognize the device. I plugged it to my ESC to make sure my CastleLink is working correctly and it is. Nothing wrong with the cables or software.

I have used the same CastleLink on this BEC before over a year ago. I looked at the side of the BEC and there is power the light is green. I tested the BEC by plugging it and plugging in a battery and I can steer my rig without the ESC on.

Tried searching around but no luck...
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Can't Seem to Connect my CC BEC

Are the BEC leads currently wired to the ESC? If so then you'll have to disconnect them to reprogram it.

OR

You can plug up a lipo to your ESC as you Castle link the BEC...Szczerba showed me that trick
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Just plug in your lipo, same thing happened to me.
Lukescb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Correct, you need to power up the BEC via the battery. It doesn't get powered up by the CC Link like an ESC does.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Correct, you need to power up the BEC via the battery. It doesn't get powered up by the CC Link like an ESC does.
It does if there is no ESC connected but if there is then the ESC steals too much power and the BEC wont power up.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
It does if there is no ESC connected but if there is then the ESC steals too much power and the BEC wont power up.
None of the BECs in my club power up without a battery connected and not through the esc unless the BEC is wired to the ESC's battery post and has a battery plugged in.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

The bec has to be disconnect from the esc.
i run mine on a mini deans so I can change the voltage easier if I need.
sloyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #8
PapaGriz Yo

I fought this last weekend for about 2 hours. I had 3 BEC's to set and I tried using a battery to power them and one of them worked but not the other two. None of the were connected to an ESC btw. One of them worked one time with no battery connected but it wouldn't work again later.

Finally I tried connecting my Castle Link to my Win XP netbook, instead of my Windows 7 64 bit laptop, and all of them worked with no battery power.

I don't know for sure if it was Win 7 that was screwing me up, but it sure seems that way. My Castle Link is very old so maybe something about it was not working right with Win 7.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:29 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Power provided by a usb port can vary depending on drivers and hardware. USB starts at 1v, and the device needs to "request" a bump to the max of 5v.

Try this

How To Change USB Power Options | eHow.com
spillproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:35 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I have had this happen several times with castle bec and micro pro's all on the same laptop using the same os through the same USB port, I truly believe that it is in the castle software as this starting happening after a castle version update. Also most of these were new out of the box electronics.
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I have had this happen a few times with windows 7. I used windows XP and it will work great. Same cable, same BEC. I finally uninstalled Windows 7 On my mac and installed XP.
CHOPPERMECH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
I fought this last weekend for about 2 hours. I had 3 BEC's to set and I tried using a battery to power them and one of them worked but not the other two. None of the were connected to an ESC btw. One of them worked one time with no battery connected but it wouldn't work again later.

Finally I tried connecting my Castle Link to my Win XP netbook, instead of my Windows 7 64 bit laptop, and all of them worked with no battery power.

I don't know for sure if it was Win 7 that was screwing me up, but it sure seems that way. My Castle Link is very old so maybe something about it was not working right with Win 7.
Ahh...so I'm not the only one! Lol...yes my Castle Link is also old and I have changed the settings on the BEC a couple of times before attempting this time. I tried plugging in a lipo as well to try to power the BEC but no luck.

Could it be because I updated Castle Link prior to trying to change the BEC settings this time?

There's a comp tomorrow and I rather not mess with any more electronics until after.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
Ahh...so I'm not the only one! Lol...yes my Castle Link is also old and I have changed the settings on the BEC a couple of times before attempting this time. I tried plugging in a lipo as well to try to power the BEC but no luck.

Could it be because I updated Castle Link prior to trying to change the BEC settings this time?

There's a comp tomorrow and I rather not mess with any more electronics until after.
Could be. I had an old version of Castle Link on my netbook, maybe that had more to do with it than WinXP.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

That happened to me before. When you updated the castle link software, do not run it directly from the download site. YOU HAVE TO SAVE IT ON THE COMPUTER AND RUN IT FROM THERE. try it.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I had to do this too and leave the downloaded file wherever your computer saves it after you've run the installer.

I was told this once and have had no issues since.
Tonysmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Just checked mine. Unplugged the BEC from receiver, connected to my field programmer, plugged usb into laptop and programmed. No battery connected.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #17
Gold Star Baby!

You need to update it while its pluged. I had to do this everytime I needed to change my BEC. This is why Tekin needs to make a BEC. Their shit always connects on the 1st try.
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #18
RCC Addict

So are you guys saying that you need to have the battery connected to the BEC to program it when connected to the laptop? I know if I use my field programmer it needs battery, but never needs battery when programming from laptop. I use the field programmer and connect it to laptop via usb cable.

I have a CC BEC in my Wraith and in my XR10 and programmed it like this both times to set voltage to 7v for servos. Then bypass it with servo bypass harness and run ESC BEC for receiver and lights power.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Mine seems to only work if I connect a battery to the ESC and disconnect the ESC from the receiver.
rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #20
RCC Addict

The BEC does not need a battery power source when connected to a computer. Field use does need a power source. See pic... Those is field card plugged into computer with BEC.
Hope this helps. .

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote

Can't Seem to Connect my CC BEC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how do i connect the ESC, BEC & battery?? SwampDawg Newbie General 10 10-08-2010 12:37 PM
how does it all connect? mtnbiker93 Newbie General 4 11-29-2009 09:02 PM
bec won't connect stublet Electronics 5 09-01-2008 08:32 PM
How do I connect all this together? TheHeadHunter Electronics 22 03-12-2008 02:14 PM