Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Help with radio decision...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #1

Default Help with radio decision...

So, I think I want to build an XR10 crawler. Apparently my new Spektrum DX3R Pro is not going to do the job from what I am reading:(?

So, what should I do? I think the general consensus is that two ESC's is the best option.

So here are my questions:
1) Is there any way to use my current radio and have it actually work just as good as the other options?

2) Should I use a 6 channel stick radio?

3) Should I get a Flysky GT3C and mod it?

4) Should I just fork out the dough and get a Futaba 4 channel?

Some of my thoughts:
The Fly Sky is appealing, but I have read mixed reviews on them, and I am not sure I would want to put my other cars on this radio. Any opinions on that?

Futabas won't work with some cars that just bind to spektrums

Stick radio verses futaba-you get 6 channes to play with, but not sure if I will like sticks over a wheel? I do fly Helis and planes though.

New to rock crawler myself.....I wonder what most of the pros use??

Modded GT3C's sound great on paper specs, but are the bad things I read true, am I just asking for headaches. I generally buy higher end equipment, but man the specs on paper look good, not sure about this one?? I am all for saving money and on paper, what it can do looks better than anything on paper, but a lot of times I end up finding out "you get what you pay for"

Anyway looking for any advice. If only I did not even think about a crawler, I would not have to worry about anything. My spektrum works great for everything else. I hate a bunch of radios, I just wanted one.

Thanks

Last edited by jevs; 10-03-2012 at 01:17 PM.
jevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Help with radio decision...

have a fly sky and run 5 models on it...some with multiple channels (no XR10s) have had no problems in either setting up or configuring...takes some time to learn its language and what the characters mean on the screen...but I'm going to purchase another one.

I use to run stick with cars....wheels the way to go. imho...
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #3

Have you raced any of your models at a track with the Flysky? I worry it will cause problems with other radios in that environment, but not sure if it would or not.

Also, are any of your models rock crawlers and is your radio modded?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

its a 2.4 ghz system, so interference is a non issue. I am waiting for my gt3b, and hack kit. Its not a huge investment. If it turn out to be a complete turd, then I can explain to my wife why I need the $500 radio...
spillproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

OK, decent questions regarding spending a decent amount of money.

For 30+ years, all I've used is Futaba radios. I had AM, FM and finally a 2.4ghz (3PM-x).
The ONLY issue I had was a bad throttle pot on a FM Futaba TX. This was on a 25+ year old radio with LOT'S of hours on it.
My 3PM-x is on a 2.2 MOA Bully with a WantAmix to run dual ESC's, waaaaayyyyyyy better than a servo dig since I get proportional as well as dig.

I also run a hacked GT3B. It's on my 2.2 XR-10 MOA with dual ESC's. I started with a Novak M2 dig........notice I stated "started with".....I now run dual ESC's.

Yes, the GT3B is a "little lacking" on hand feel compared to a "better" radio, then again the hacked GT3B also does a LOT more for a LOT less money.

I'm actually looking for a GT3C just to compare.

LosiKid/OverkillRC does a GREAT job helping support the hacked radios.
A lot of users also help out as well.

I would NOT expect the Futaba TX to bind to any other brand RX....pretty much standard across the board. If you have a "brand X" TX, you need a "brand X" RX. Some will cross, but not because it's a 2.4ghz. There are multiple 2.4ghz comm protocols, they are NOT "mix & match".

I will say I love my Futaba 3PM-x (my son runs a Futaba 4PL), but I can't really bash the hacked GT3B/GT3C radios.

Feel free to ask more questions. I get no commissions for pushing the hacked GT3B, but I feel it's a worthwhile alternative.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
RCC Addict

If you already have the DX3R you can get proportional mix out of it with the use of a Wannamix sold by Losikid. Take a trip to Overkillrc.com and there is a setup video on how to do it.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevs View Post
but I have read mixed reviews on them...but are the bad things I read true, am I just asking for headaches.
Links to said bad reviews/issues? All i've ever seen is futaba fanboys hatin on them...

And if you are truly considerate of the spektrum glitching issue at the track because dsm is sketchy on a busy frequency, then a frsky module can be added which will fix that entire issue.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
Scale Detail Engineering

only bad thing I've read is that you're out of them!
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
only bad thing I've read is that you're out of them!
I've got some right now
Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoRC1 View Post
If you already have the DX3R you can get proportional mix out of it with the use of a Wannamix sold by Losikid. Take a trip to Overkillrc.com and there is a setup video on how to do it.
Nice add on....but it's a "WantAmix" if you want to do a search.

Not picking, just had my wife look up info when I was at a comp. I stated "wannamix" and she found crap.
I had her look up WantAmix and received the info I was looking for.

PS, search won't give a crap on case of the letters.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

If I was you I would go GT3B/C hacked and KEEP your DX3R for your go fast stuff.

Its much more appealing to me to carry a $100 radio around all over rocks than it is to carry a $300 radio. I have seen radios get dropped down on the rocks and it isnt pretty. If you are serious about racing I doubt you will be happy with a GT3B/C for your go fast stuff, they just arent as nice and just dont have an expensive feel.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #12

Good responses. As far as links to complainers about the GT3B(C), I don't want to bash or add to the search links with this post by saying anything negative. I don't have any first hand experience with the Fly Sky yet and am strongly considering one still. I got a good deal on my spektrum used with a reciever and I already had another reciever, so it just weighed out as the best sense option at the time.

Of course that was before crawler consideration, so I thought it would be fine.

Some more questions I now have based on the responses.

1) No one has said anything in support of using a stick radio yet.....I know some use them, but whats the majority doing? Of the people that can buy whatever radio they want and price is not a concern, what is the majority running....sticks or wheeled? The reason for this question being important is that if stick is most popular then my choice is much easier (I already have a DX6i that I could just convert with springs and then buy me a better Heli/Plane radio. But, i have never been a fan of driving cars with sticks.....but I never had a crawler which could be much different and maybe more accurate with sticks?? Don't know..I would not prefer sticks unless you guys say it is better than wheeled.

2) I dont know a lot about how the dig stuff is activated and used or mixed, I am going MOA so......will a wantamix make my 3 channel radio wihtout dual esc support just as good as haveing a 4 channel futaba or the hacked Fly Sky? I don't want to consider this if I am going to suffer with any less usability. If it works just as good though, then this is probobly what I will do. However, I did read a couple posts saying the Wantamix was no longer available. I did not research this, but it sounds like maybe it still is??

From what I am reading so far and without doing much more research this is my summary of what I think so far

1) If sticks is the majorities choice, then buy a better heli radio and use my DX6i. I have a feeling this is not going to be the majority, but I will wait and see what responses I get.

2) Wheeled options in order of top to last choice

#1 Get a wantamix and use my radio (if no compramises have to be made this is a great choice, compramises in driveability are kind of a deal breaker though)

#2 Get a Fly Sky and start the mods...(Keep the DX3R Pro for everything else unless I end up liking the Fly Sky as much)

#3 Fork over the dough for a Futaba 4 channel (which also means I would need expensive recievers to convert my current car, some cost could be offset by selling my Spektrum and the 2 recievers I now have). I also lose the ability to buy any future vehicles that come with specktrum RX stuff in them already. Capability is less than the Fly Sky, but perfomance (speed) and quality are better.

Decisions, Decisions...why in the heck is Spektrum not adding the Dual ESC support to the pro GRR, also why dont they have a 4 channel like the competitors.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
Got Worms?

The wantamix sells became nearly non existent when i started selling gt3b hack kits...so i stopped making them unless i had afew people asking for them...IF you want a wantamix, i can build one for you BUT the cost of going flysky isn't much more.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
RCC Addict

To say the DX3R will work just as good with the WantAMix as a 4PL or Flysky is like saying an apple will taste like an orange just because it is the same color. Radios will have different features, pros and cons of each. The thing to remember though is the DX3R will do the same thing. You can mix the throttle channel to run proportional mixing. If you already have rx's for it and are familiar with the programing then IMO stick with it.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #15

Except an apple and an orange are not the same color

I finally waited long enough on my slow internet to watch the Wantamix videos. With a strong background in electronics I believe I pretty much know how it is done (not that I would want to duplicate my own versus spending $40). It Seems like this would work well. I like how the switches are utilized and set up as well.

Now for my new list of questions

1) Aside from not needing the "interpreter board" physically in the car, how does the Fly Sky or Futaba do this any better?

2) Would I ever need the 4th channel for anything, or is that utilized in a way that answers #1?

I am learing a lot already. The wantamix is looking promising. $40 is worth not getting another radio in my collection, unless I will gain more that the wantamix is not going to do (and I don't mean useless options no one ever uses).

On a side note, it sure seems like Spektrum could get off their butts and implemement this with a simple software revision. It seems the inputs and outputs (hardware) are already in place.

Last edited by jevs; 10-03-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #16
Got Worms?

The pots in the wantamix are known to wander abit, which can change the way the mix feels. In v2 firmware it helps ALOT, but it still can wander abit. You've got to be pretty well tuned to notice it though.

I can't speak for the 3r or futaba's, but the flysky radios have ALOT of different ways to setup your switches, besides a standard 10% step and dig.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #17

If I were to stay interested in rock crawlers....thinking about 4 wheel steering. I just watched a couple videos of XR10's with 4 wheel steering. That would really change everything I am thinking about now.

Out of curiosity, are there are competions that allow a 4 wheel steering XR10?

It looks like 4 wheel steering would add to the fun of crawling (bashing, not competing).

I doubt I will ever find any competions close to me, so I will mostly just be playing around. Those videos make me think 4 wheel steering would add to the capabilities and fun. Think 4 wheel steering would be in my future or even worthwhile?? That would kill the wantamix option for sure :(
Old 10-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #18
Got Worms?

4ws is only friendly in super class (not xr10's), or possibly a scaler class (not xr either) .
Old 10-04-2012, 05:39 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Just to throw something completely different into the mix.....You don't *need* the dual esc with mixing. A punk dig or similar is just fine. So your DX3 is fine.

The top level guys can use the performance potential that dual esc's provide. Normal guys will never miss it. I crawl with national event caliber guys on occasion, and they don't use the proportional drive all that often. I can usually hang right with them with my punk setup.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

The vast majority of crawler/scaler drivers use a wheel radio. It's a little harder to acurately control the sticks when you're hiking and climbing after your truck during a run. 4ws is not allowed in any comp class except Supers, and for Scale class 3 (but no MOA there), so you're rig would only be a fun-rig/trail rig.

I am only just getting into Comp now (building a torsion Sporty now) but have been Scale-ing for a couple years, and I too am looking for a 4ch radio. I think for what you're looking for and since you're totally new to crawling you should go the cheepest route possible. I run a Spek dx3c and love how comfortable and easy to use it is. I am looking at the Flysky hacks but hate to give up my old trusty Spek. If the "wantamix" mod or one of the dig options will give you what you want I'd go with that until you're at a higher level and can justify spending $$ on a Futaba.
Maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Help with radio decision... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with a decision. fasttimes!! General Scale Talk 1 07-28-2007 12:40 AM
Charger Decision nascarkeith Electronics 6 02-26-2007 10:28 PM
Help with a decision. payableondeath6 Newbie General 9 01-12-2007 11:52 AM