Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: I Need a radio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default I Need a radio

I want a radio for my Wraith that will let me do 4WS & control a dig unit. I saw some generic ones on RC4WD's web site one will do the steer & one will do the dig but I dont know if they can do both. Can someone steer me in the right direction.
mudbeast2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Get a GT3B or C hacked from overkillrc. More channels than you should ever need.
dasbeermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I Need a radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasbeermeister View Post
Get a GT3B or C hacked from overkillrc. More channels than you should ever need.
X2! Best option unless you want to spend more to get a Futaba 4pl.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

GT3B owner here. very happy with its mixing abilities once hacked. Not that I wouldn't like a 4PKS, but I can't convince the wife I need a $450 radio...
spillproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Hacked gt3 (b or c)is the best bang for the buck IMO - not the best in the world, but it's also about $400 cheaper than those that are close to that "best" mark. Also, the rx parts are heaps cheaper - $9 for a six channel rx.
B94Cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:57 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Makes me happy the one thing I didn't sell was my 4PK
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I thought about going $$ or cheap out on the radio. I ended up with the gt3c. Works well and cheap for the 3 cars I have with RX each. Super light too. I just wish they included a wall charger like the original ad I saw somewhere. PIA to have to plug it in a running PC just to charge. But, so far battery still on first charge. I don't have any special needs so perhaps that's why I don't see limitations on the stock firmware. I also fly so I have stick radios in case I need anything fancy that the gt3c can't do. Great radio for general use.
dirtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtslow View Post
I thought about going $$ or cheap out on the radio. I ended up with the gt3c. Works well and cheap for the 3 cars I have with RX each. Super light too. I just wish they included a wall charger like the original ad I saw somewhere. PIA to have to plug it in a running PC just to charge. But, so far battery still on first charge. I don't have any special needs so perhaps that's why I don't see limitations on the stock firmware. I also fly so I have stick radios in case I need anything fancy that the gt3c can't do. Great radio for general use.
Mini usb cell phone chargers work too
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Defy Gravity

even a wall/car usb adapter and cable work fine for the gt3c. i think i've plugged mine into a computer once to charge. i had my reservations about charging in radio only, but after using it for a few months, it works well. even with the 2 batteries i have, i've never really felt like it was a pain to charge.

and another vote for the gt3c, some may call me biased, but i have used a lot of radios. the gt3c feels better, does more, and is a fraction of the price. even going with a stock one, then flashing later, its a good route that allows the radio to grow with you to your needs. with something like a dx3r or futaba 4pl, you're limited by the channel count if you have a lot of stuff on your rig, the dx3r doesn't mix by itself, and is kinda wonky on ergonomics. the futaba menu system and ergonomics made them uncomfortable for me to use.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
DSC

i was about to dump 300+ on a radio and seen this thread and checked out the GT3B. It seems to good to be true. Something that can do so much so cheap.. Anyway, my question is, whats hacked ? I know its going into the radio but what more do you get by doing that?
Thanks Dale
DSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:18 AM   #11
Got Worms?

Anything good you've read about gt3b is a hacked gt3b. When one says hacked they mean they flashed a new firmware onto it.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:16 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post
i was about to dump 300+ on a radio and seen this thread and checked out the GT3B. It seems to good to be true. Something that can do so much so cheap.. Anyway, my question is, whats hacked ? I know its going into the radio but what more do you get by doing that?
Thanks Dale
I felt the same way.
I am impressed in the hardware feel of the radio. It doesn't feel cheap. Nice plastics, nice fit and finish on it. A tad on the heavy side as it takes 8 AA, but I can live with that. I think there is a voltage regulator fix for that maybe.

The firmware flashing took about 10 minutes. You need a small electronic soldering iron, and need to solder 4 little holes, easy as pie with the right tools.

I am running mine with an XR10. I have proportional dig set on what used to be the Dual Rate button for the 3rd channel. I can go from 0% (both motors turn the same) to 100% (only front turns) and then to -100% (only rear motor turns). I can do this is in 10% or 20% steps. I also have momentary 100% dig on my 3rd channel button (on/off) . Now that I have ran it for a week, I love it.

I ordered a 6ch rx for my SCX10 ($10!!!!!!) so I can start tricking it out with lights, winch, 4ws, etc.

If you are on a budget, this is the way to go. Take the other $250 dollars and sink it into upgrades for you rig!
Old 10-19-2012, 05:17 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I was about to dump $300+ on a radio and saw this thread and checked out the GT3B. It seems too good to be true. Something that can do so much so cheap.. Anyway, my question is, whats hacked ? I know its going into the radio but what more do you get by doing that?
Thanks Dale
Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Anything good you've read about GT3B is a hacked GT3B. When one says hacked they mean they flashed a new firmware onto it.
+1.....

A GT3B/GT3C are 3 channel radios, similar to a Futaba 3PM-x & Some Spektrum radios.
A hacked GT3B/GT3C has new firmware that allows up to 8 channels and a ton of other options.

So, for about the same cost as a 4PL RX, you get a TX & RX with twice as many channels.

I run a hacked GT3B on a dual ESC MOA, I also have a 3PM-x and my son runs a 4PL. While the Futaba radios feel a little nicer, they are not better than the hacked GT3B/C radio.

PS, like the couple Futaba radios on this forum, there is a "GT3B support thread" where you can find lots of info and answers.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Anything good you've read about gt3b is a hacked gt3b. When one says hacked they mean they flashed a new firmware onto it.
Your site is out of stock, when will you have more of the radios?
monkeymagic9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #15
DSC

I went ahead and ordered a GT3B. What's the worse can happen.. I've pissed away a lot more more than that.
The hacking, is there some info on how to hack it. Like hacking for dummy's? Or can I send it to someone and them do it?
DSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymagic9 View Post
Your site is out of stock, when will you have more of the radios?
I don't know if LosiKid will stock GT3B's now that the GT3C is out. You can still find the GT3B's here & there, but they won't be hacked.

Quote:
I went ahead and ordered a GT3B. What's the worse can happen.. I've pissed away a lot more more than that.
The hacking, is there some info on how to hack it. Like hacking for dummy's? Or can I send it to someone and them do it?
Go to "OverKillRC" (link in my sig), he has a write-up on how to do the hack.
I know of no other vendors that do the hack, not sure about "anyone local to you".
I've done the hack from scratch myself. Hopefully will do a hacked GT3C soon.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

overkillrc.com is where I bought my kit. He has a great install guide there. The actual programming, your better looking in the gt3b tech thread.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

I have 2 gt3b's. They have been good radios and the receivers are about $8. I have yet to hack either of them, but have been debating ordering the kit from overkillrc.
SmokeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I don't know if LosiKid will stock GT3B's now that the GT3C is out. You can still find the GT3B's here & there, but they won't be hacked.
hmm.. so the gt3c is the successor? guess i better find a gt3b on flea bay.

any idea how people are operating those extra channels? do you have to scroll through menus just to turn on (or off) my 4ws, etc? (probably a question i could find an answer to in the gt3b thread somone mentioned but it'd be great to just have an answer )
monkeymagic9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymagic9 View Post
hmm.. so the GT3C is the successor? guess i better find a GT3B on flea bay.

Any idea how people are operating those extra channels? Do you have to scroll through menus just to turn on (or off) my 4WS, etc? (probably a question I could find an answer to in the GT3B thread someone mentioned but it'd be great to just have an answer )
It's button assignments for most of the extra functions.

Example, to handle dual ESC's, I have a button on the handle (above my thumb) to go from 4WD, to FWD, back to 4WD and then to RWD.
Just above that button is one for proportional drive in 5% steps. Depending on which way I push the button/slider I can over drive one end or the other.

I've heard the GT3C is better overall than the GT3B, but I haven't tried one yet so can't say.

I Need a radio - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NO Power on Radio after GT3B Radio Hack jcosentino Electronics 3 12-30-2011 10:27 PM
replacement Radio antenna for spectrum radio jdacus Electronics 10 10-26-2010 05:48 AM
What radios are you guys using? stick radio or pistol grip radio?? yellowpasta2000 Newbie General 14 11-28-2009 09:10 AM
Convince me why I should buy a 3pm-x radio over a 2pl radio BadRockNoCookie Electronics 6 11-13-2009 06:23 PM