Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Looking for a good quality motor for cc01 in mud n water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #1

Default Looking for a good quality motor for cc01 in mud n water

I heard holmes makes one, but I dont see anything really listed on their site. I run in oregon in a lot of nasty mud, and creeks. I love going under water.

I want a quality motor tha will run mostly on 2s wuth a 2L1 and 3:1 reduction. I have multiple chassis. I will be powering them with the holmes esc

I own a ton of integy motors right now, but they burn up quite fast imo. I have pulled toasted brushed out of most of them and replaced them, along with turning the arm's on my lathe, but have yet to actuallly try any of them.

Last edited by city hunter; 12-10-2012 at 10:32 AM.
city hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Looking for a good quality motor for cc01 in mud n water

I don't think there is a good solution for motors being abused by mud and water. It's going to shorten their life no matter what you do. I think the best way is to either buy cheap throw aways (like stock axials) or put in the maintenance time on a cheap serviceable motor like the integys you mentioned. The only difference you will have if you buy a nice quality holmes motor to abuse is that you will be out more money when you do burn it up.

I can't really comment on a good turn count for your application. Is it possible you are overworking the motors you have and that is why they don't last long? Do they overheat? Just a thought on that...

My approach now is to try out sensored brushless motors in the mud and water. I've run some of Holmes' revolver black motors (sensorless brushless) and they held up to mud and water really well. So next I'm going to try 2 Novak 18.5T brushless motors with corrosion X on internals and epoxy the sensor board. I'm going to post up my results in the waterproofing sticky thread. It'll be a while before I have time though...

All the best!
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Suck it up!

Running through mud and dirty water will kill anything. No way would I spend good money on a motor that was going to be subjected to that.

Just keep rebuilding the ones you have until they are useless. You'll tear a quality motor up just as easily.

It also wouldn't hurt to wrap it in foam or something to keep the garbage out. Its not the water that really hurts them, its the stuff in the water.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

cut up and old t-shirt and wrap it around the motor.works great
theloudone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloudone View Post
cut up and old t-shirt and wrap it around the motor.works great
I'll have to try this out. I bought an outwears filter for electric motor and all it seemed to do was hold in a ton of really fine grit inside the motor. It was the ugliest motor I ever tore down. Thanks!
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibbs View Post
I'll have to try this out. I bought an outwears filter for electric motor and all it seemed to do was hold in a ton of really fine grit inside the motor. It was the ugliest motor I ever tore down. Thanks!
When I bring my dirty, muddy rigs home, they always get hosed down, and I always be sure to run fresh water into the motor. The only way to keep everything out is to completely seal it up. Hard to do on a brushed motor.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

^+1^ On cleaning them out with a good hosing. IMO I use nylon as opposed to the outerwears and "shirts" as Ive noticed the nylond wont hold in a lot of the finer stuff or clog as easily as cotton or the outerwears
Phins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #8

I my try one opf their trailfinder motors.

I did overwork most of the integys at one time, then I had e gear reduction, until that seized. I have a few more reduction units I need to install.

Sucks having crap gearing from the factory with the cc01

I do have a tekin rs pro brushless setup in my pajero right now, but I had a accident with the ocean. Thought I had put my brushed waterproof setup back in, and continuted to attack the wave. then im like wtf am I doing, but it was too late lol.
city hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

That def seems like a good idea ill have to try one
cowboy_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Looking for a good quality motor for cc01 in mud n water - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CC01 rocks mud water trail shenlonco Scale Videos! 2 11-27-2012 02:02 PM
Cheap motor for kit for mud and water hpiontherocks Axial Wraith 7 08-11-2012 04:17 AM
Water/mud/rock proofing a axail 27T motor XcrawlerkidX Electronics 5 04-14-2011 01:26 PM
Water/Mud proofing a motor? Warn Off Road Florida 16 07-03-2009 08:32 AM
going in water/mud? brendan h General Crawlers 25 10-09-2005 05:24 PM