Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 1 truck burnt down, is my other safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 1 truck burnt down, is my other safe?

Huh go figure, you try drowning a speed control a couple times then when it finally gives up the ghost it must be the batteries fault. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

As a few have mentioned a 2S Lipo and 6 cell NiMh or NiCd have similar nominal voltages but a 6 cell NiMh or NiCd battery pack will charge to 9.2 to 9.6 volts (depending on the quality of the batteries and the charger), a 2S Lipo will charge to 8.42 volts. So it's safe to say the voltage wasn't an issue.

Having said that, a good quality Lipo of similar amp/hour ratings can produce a lot more current than a NiMh or NiCd battery. Sometime 2 - 4 times or even more current.

In the case of the OP if all things were wired up correctly (some photos of the rest of the wiring might help others here) it is highly possible that you may have over-loaded the 60 amps Tamiya ESC with the Lipo battery.

Let me explain my theory more here. If I read correctly the vehicle is an "Exceed Mad Torque"? Twin Motor? Running a single Tamiya TEU-104BK? Note - Can be used with Sport Tuned Motors and 25T and above motors.

FYI 2 Motors (Say 35T motors) wired in parallel = 17.5T.

Why didn't it happen with the NiMh or NiCd, see my comment above.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

not sure but the op says in his first post it has a tamiya plug with the banna plugs could b that the tamiya plug melted an caused a short. had that happen a couple times what plug was on the exceed truck when it happened
tdevilman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRoo View Post
Having said that, a good quality Lipo of similar amp/hour ratings can produce a lot more current than a NiMh or NiCd battery. Sometime 2 - 4 times or even more current.

In the case of the OP if all things were wired up correctly (some photos of the rest of the wiring might help others here) it is highly possible that you may have over-loaded the 60 amps Tamiya ESC with the Lipo battery.

Let me explain my theory more here. If I read correctly the vehicle is an "Exceed Mad Torque"? Twin Motor? Running a single Tamiya TEU-104BK? Note - Can be used with Sport Tuned Motors and 25T and above motors.

FYI 2 Motors (Say 35T motors) wired in parallel = 17.5T.

Why didn't it happen with the NiMh or NiCd, see my comment above.
the esc that burned up was the exceed speed controler in the exceed truck. the tamiya speed controler is in the tamiya truck. the exceed truck no longer exists(axles are still good tho) and now i scared the tamiya will burn up too. the exceed was working just fine a few minutes earlier with a NiMh battery. il post a pic of whats left of the wiring and the lipo in question when i get home.
Koldham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #25
Suck it up!

Quote:
it is highly possible that you may have over-loaded the 60 amps Tamiya ESC with the Lipo battery.
I would disagree. A battery is simply a power source that the esc pulls from.

The battery was not at fault here. It was either user error or a failed component.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #26
RCC Addict

here are the facts, the battery did not burn up, the ESC did. something in the ESC failed, the chances that the battery caused your ESC to fail, so long as the battery voltage fell with in the acceptable range of the ESC, is slim to none. Lansu ESC's like the ones in the RS10XT are known to do this at random.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
it is highly possible that you may have over-loaded the 60 amps Tamiya ESC with the Lipo battery.
i haven't tried the lipo in the tamiya esc, that's what im asking, will the lipo blow this esc too? what are the specs for it. i cant find much, all ive herd is that you need an external low lipo warning which i have
Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Pictures of a melted piece of crap mean nothing. Answers have meaning and will help you find the cause. What s is the battery? If its 3s or above then yes it could be the culprit. If its 2s then no it didn't have a damned thing to do with it.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

its a 2s. i mentioned that in the intro post
Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

the lipo did not hurt the esc, something else went wrong. you said the esc had gotten wet before, wet electronic corrode, corrosion causes resistance, resistance causes heat, enough heat can melt a solder joint and the melted solder can flow to another solder joint and cause a dead short,could have been a motor arm short out and caused excessive current to be pulled through the esc and fried it. the problem had to be the esc,after the esc,or reversed polarity shooting power up the ground side. that would have caused a nice arch when the pack was plugged up though.

what kind of charger are you using on your stick packs? does it display final charge voltage? if so, it should be over 8 volts on a 6cell stick pack.a 2s lipo will be 8.4 fresh off the charger.

search the web for tamiya TEU-104BK on 2s lipo. you will find a few posts on tamiya club fourms where they run the esc on 2s with a alarm or cut off with no problems
stanmondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

what confuses me is that literally 30 seconds earlier i ran the truck wiht a NmHi battery and it worked fine. i guess lipos have bigger balls.

and my old charger did not have a display, jsut a plug. my new one does. its a thunder ac6
Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #32
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldham View Post
maby were not talking about the same plugs here because mine wont connect backwards unless you are completley stupid and trim the plug. they just wont go.
Oh, I don't think there's a maybe involved. I know pretty well what a BANANA PLUG is. Once you told us banana plugs can't be hooked up with the polarity reversed, I knew you were 'on a different page', let's say.

So, bananas (the fruit) are yellow, and most XT-60 connectors are yellow, are you running XT-60's? And mistakenly calling them bananas?

And the reason I quoted you and asked if you were trying to run a 3S is because in your opening post, you said you 'got this LiPo', and you asked if the ESCs in question would run on 2S, you never said the LiPo you got was a 2S.

You could post up a pic of your Tamiya and battery before you plug it in, but from a picture we can't wiggle stuff around and check for tension on wires, you're going to have to be the one who needs to verify that everything's where it's supposed to be, no insulation scraped off on a sharp edge, all connectors solidly seated, etc. Best of luck to ya, Bud, wish you well.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldham View Post
what confuses me is that literally 30 seconds earlier i ran the truck wiht a NmHi battery and it worked fine. i guess lipos have bigger balls.

and my old charger did not have a display, jsut a plug. my new one does. its a thunder ac6
Sound like there was most likely a problem in the ESC/Motor that was masked by the fact that the NiMH battery can only deliver so many watts (volts x amps). The Lipo battery you purchased has a much "stiffer" voltage curve. Meaning that the voltage sags less when under load. Example a 15A load on a nimh could easily pull the voltage down to 5V or less. The same load on an Lipo will not even bring it down much below 7V. The ability for the battery to deliver Amperage is also greatly increased. It is true that the battery will not deliver more than the system is asking for but you may have been hitting the ceiling with your NiMH battery and not have known it.

So... Power (watts) = Volts x Amps and if you increase your voltage by 50% and your Amperage by 50% you are deliver 125% more watts to your poor little speedo.

This probably doesn't help to much to know how it will perform on your Tamiya but at least it may help diagnose what actually happened to the Exceed.
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #34
Rock Stacker

2S LIPOs run fine in Tamiya fully fuctional ESCs.

LIPO fire - throw in sand bucket and cover with sand if you are trying to contain it. Otherwise, get it outside ASAP and it'll burn itself out. At my local track we've got sand buckets on standby, but we have not seen a LIPO fire in a good long time. Every fire I've seen has been caused by a short or over discharge.

From what I have read here, this is not a LIPO fire but a short somewhere else, and you're lucky you didn't lose everything.

Last edited by DudeWalker; 02-01-2013 at 11:51 AM.
DudeWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

This is what happened to my ESC when it got wet. Nearly caught the truck on fire.

Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Ha....I ran my old TT-01 basher car running a 13 month old SV2/6900kv 4pole through a little puddle of water and I mean LITTLE! Well the lexan body happened to send all that water down into the tub body which I guess I was a retard for doing so but I figured at the speed I was going it would just splash out not splash INTO the freaking chassis.

Long story short white smoke comes billowing out so I unclipped the body real quick unplug the lipo and let the ESC smoke itself away after flipping the car over. Lipo was fine, motor was fine, car was fine...ESC just shorted itself. I guess the SV2 isn't quite as "splash resistant" as I thought. No biggie I sent it into Castle and just traded it in for an SV3 upgrade. Thank god for electrics dropping in price now compared to years ago....
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 truck burnt down, is my other safe? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Burnt out of crawling??? country_crawler Chit Chat 30 08-26-2010 08:44 PM
servo burnt up boostedg60rado Electronics 2 07-09-2009 04:13 AM
wallmart gun safe...Really safe? xxizzer421xx Chit Chat 10 10-11-2007 02:42 PM
Burnt' Crawlmaster? Mad4Rnr Electronics 33 07-29-2007 09:59 PM