Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: TEKIN FX-R vs CASTLE SV3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #21

Default Re: TEKIN FX-R vs CASTLE SV3

I have a SV3 and I did have an issue with it. With brushed motors, it is not smooth at all. I don't think it is a common problem, so I will buy more. I am waiting for them to be available at my supplier and I will order another one to try. The one I have works fine with a brushless motor, so I am sure I can find a use for it. Castle has sure done a nice WP job on this one. It is not a simple thin coating on the board like other so called WP ESC's. The entire board in molded in an epoxy or something like that. I can't see how water could get to it at all.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Huh...mine works quite well with the brushed motors throughout the power curve...I've used a 12t titan and 27t axial, 35t venom and a 40t Holmes hobbies motor on my sv3....haven't experienced the problems u guys r describing yet. That's on 2s though..I am waiting for my 3s packs..what r you running yours on?
mjc597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Default Oops!!!

I am now in need of a new ESC. I week with the axial ae-1 and we got a little bit of snow yesterday....it caught fire. I am a noob and believe I made a dumb mistake. Anyways, I was looking into the SV3 and now am slightly worried about the smoothness with brushed motors (have the axial 27T). One of you has had problems and the other hasn't? Can anyone else weigh in on this? Also (noob question) do you need an external BEC with these or do they have the power to run future ad ons? Last question, it comes with a usb cable so I do not need a castle link, is this right?
Valreesio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #24

Default Re: Oops!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valreesio View Post
I am now in need of a new ESC. I week with the axial ae-1 and we got a little bit of snow yesterday....it caught fire. I am a noob and believe I made a dumb mistake. Anyways, I was looking into the SV3 and now am slightly worried about the smoothness with brushed motors (have the axial 27T). One of you has had problems and the other hasn't? Can anyone else weigh in on this? Also (noob question) do you need an external BEC with these or do they have the power to run future ad ons? Last question, it comes with a usb cable so I do not need a castle link, is this right?
I wouldn't hesitate to get the SV3. I did have a problem, but I don't think anyone else had the same problem. I had 2 that were bought at the same time, and the customer that bought the other one has not said anything about having trouble with it. I am getting another one myself. I have not heard anything about it coming with a USB cable, mine didn't. I have a Castle Link, and I love the ease of programming with Castle products.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

No cable huh? That means I would have to shell out some extra dough for the link...is there a free version of the software if I have a cable and windows?
Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #26

The software is free. It doesn't just work with a cable though. The Castle Link is a chip that connects the USB cable to the ESC.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

That is good to know. You are making me nervous with your other thread about the problems with your SV3. If you are ordering another, I suppose it says you still believe in the product. Do I need an external BEC or will it power my rig and future upgrades with no problems. I am running a stock SCX10 now, but may add winch/2 speed transmission/etc. in the future.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #28

The problem that I have is only one. I do believe I got a bad one. Every manufacturer is going to have a few bad ones. The most important thing is how they offer support. Castle offered to check mine out if I sent it back. I won't send it back because it still works good with a brushless motor, so I have other uses for it.
I did not even try mine without an external BEC. I just assumed I would need one with a high torque servo, winch, and a bunch of lights.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:21 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

I suppose I could just wait and upgrade to an external BEC after I need to. I am just trying to limit my initial cost to appease the wife. Also, after doing some more reading, it looks like I do not have to get a castle link after all. You can program the ESC using the transmitter (I can imagine it is more of a PIA, but cheaper for now). Sorry if I have hijacked this thread, it seems related though.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That is good to know. You are making me nervous with your other thread about the problems with your SV3. If you are ordering another, I suppose it says you still believe in the product. Do I need an external BEC or will it power my rig and future upgrades with no problems. I am running a stock SCX10 now, but may add winch/2 speed transmission/etc. in the future.
Quote:
I suppose I could just wait and upgrade to an external BEC after I need to. I am just trying to limit my initial cost to appease the wife. Also, after doing some more reading, it looks like I do not have to get a castle link after all. You can program the ESC using the transmitter (I can imagine it is more of a PIA, but cheaper for now). Sorry if I have hijacked this thread, it seems related though.
If you're going to run a steering servo over ~200inoz, then yes, you should get an external BEC. If it's a winch servo, you "may" be OK with just the BEC in the ESC.

As to the Castle Link, the older Mamba Max just needed the link software & a USB cable. All the newer Castle ESC's (that I've seen) need the adapter/programming board as well as a USB cable.
Yes, you do some programming of the ESC using the radio, it's just a bit "fussier" to do.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

So if I am looking for a castle link what do I need to buy? I see a castle creations castle link programming kit, but there is also a castle link quick connect. Do I only need the programming kit for the SV3? I am having to add this cost in to the purchase before I order so just trying to figure out my cost. I may have found a castle link (waiting for person to send me pics of what is included) for about half a new one. Anyways thanks for the help.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

The castle link quick connect is so that you can have your ESC buried and mounted away along the all the other bits and still be able to program it.
Typically you need to unplug the esc from the rx in order to program it - the quick connect detects a programmer, and does the disconnect for you electronically - so it's not really needed, it is a convenience factor. The castle link is what does the actual programming interface with the PC.
Hope that helps!
B94Cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnalram View Post
the sv3 is very disappointing. Castle cuts out the low speed capablities to make them seem like they dont cog. Its the worst performing esc's made. Unless you only want full speed. Before you buy 3 get one and try it. You wont buy another. I've had cheap-o china esc's that i liked more.
the castle sv3 is an awesome esc and the price is great i run with about 20 guys every sunday and about 15 of us all have the sv3 we completely submerge all are trucks and have had not one failure ever they preform and never let down so anyone ever tells you different they have never used one
Billadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #34

The sv3 is an awesome esc completely submerge them and they never ever loose power or connection all of us about 15 every sunday run them and we love em ,they are great and the price unbeatable the tekin does not like any kind of water what so ever so stay away from them if you like water
Old 04-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinie_21 View Post
i like to have all my electronics be the same between different rigs (if possible). I like 7955tg's, fxr's, cc bec's, one tx... You get the picture.

I really like the price and the waterproof-ness of the new sv3. I'm entertaining the idea of switching my 3 fxr's and one cc sct (in the exo) to the new sv3.

My question is: Would the sv3 lack any features that the fx-r has that i would miss? I only really have scalers and an exo (probably soon to have the twin hammers as well).

The one thing i can think of that is different is size and field programming (vs stick programming). I've used br-xl's before so i dont mind the size or stick programming.

What are your thoughts and experiences y'all?

vs.
beware of the tekin if you run in or anywhere near water as they do not like water i own both and the sv3 wins hands down if you like to run in water never fails completely submerged every week and always keep goin a great esc and price is awesome,take it from someone that actually uses one not someone who googles all day and have never aactually used one ,they are great!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #36
RCC Addict

I should probably put my input here now. I'm the OP. I've been using SV3's for a couple months now and i love them.

Then only disadvantage I've found is they're bigger than the fxr. But that's fine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all this info I was looking at the SV3 to run brushed and living in canada west mm we see water
maxxis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinie_21 View Post
I should probably put my input here now. I'm the OP. I've been using SV3's for a couple months now and i love them.

Then only disadvantage I've found is they're bigger than the fxr. But that's fine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Are you still happy with your SV3? What motor are you running with it?
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Imo tekin all the way if u want to run brushless in the future buy a mmp or waterproof anything u buy my tekin runs on 3s under water all day
ssdub33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:07 AM   #40
Rock Stacker

Hi
Just reading this thread and about to buy a fxr combo 35t set.Now not sure does this castle sv3 have drag brakes as well it does not mention it on the modelsport web site.Is it ok in a crawler.
Thanks Paul.
Paul1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

TEKIN FX-R vs CASTLE SV3 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In Stock Castle Creations 1/10 SV3 Sidewinder 12V ESC Waterproof RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 11 05-03-2013 05:17 PM
Castle Creations SV3!! MiniMorris Electronics 12 02-28-2013 02:07 PM
castle sv3 question CRAWLERJOE Electronics 2 12-25-2012 09:28 PM
Castle creations sv3 Waterproof pajey Electronics 2 12-21-2012 07:19 PM