Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Want to run 2 packs(1ata a time), set up like dual tanks on a 1:1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Want to run 2 packs(1ata a time), set up like dual tanks on a 1:1

Is there a way to put 2 batteries in a truck and run them on switches to go from one pack to the other. Only running one at a time. Kind of like having dual tanks on a 1:1 truck. I want to go on long runs without the hassle of stopping , pulling the body off to switch out a pack. I like the idea of having two hooked up but on switches to go from one pack to the other. I wanna set this up on my scaler ford super crew. Im running 8.4 v 5000 mAh packs and I could use the extra weight. And before anyone says " go with lipo's and you wont have that problem". Its just not an option.
Androtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androtaz View Post
Is there a way to put 2 batteries in a truck and run them on switches to go from one pack to the other. Only running one at a time. Kind of like having dual tanks on a 1:1 truck. I want to go on long runs without the hassle of stopping , pulling the body off to switch out a pack. I like the idea of having two hooked up but on switches to go from one pack to the other. I wanna set this up on my scaler ford super crew. Im running 8.4 v 5000 mAh packs and I could use the extra weight. And before anyone says " go with lipo's and you wont have that problem". Its just not an option.
Run them in parrell.
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
RCC Addict

X2 run them in parallel, get double the capacity
1r3land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Want to run 2 packs(1ata a time), set up like dual tanks on a 1:1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmedic View Post
Run them in parrell.
X2. Seems like the easiest method but, I suppose you could add a switch to change batteries. Just a simple on-on switch would work, right?
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
X2. Seems like the easiest method but, I suppose you could add a switch to change batteries. Just a simple on-on switch would work, right?
That wouldn't be able to run the amprage, you would have to run relays, and you'd have a whole circuit board going, just run a parrell lead, and take off, can run longer, and more amperage(meaning more punch, might alnost feel like lipos.)
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post

Prob so, but that just seems like alot of hassle to me... Having to stop, flip a switch, and then continue..... But I guess would be good then you could have a "reserve" battery when the first one dies you can still keep going... I just think parallel is the easiest & cleanest looking option IMO.....
1r3land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That wouldn't be able to run the amprage, you would have to run relays, and you'd have a whole circuit board going, just run a parrell lead, and take off, can run longer, and more amperage(meaning more punch, might alnost feel like lipos.)
I'm sure you know a LOT more than I. Not being a smartass or anything, either. I just got into the new rc generation last Sept.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I was thinking like a 3 way toggle, left for pack 1 center both off and right for pack 2. Im not looking for more power. Just to get rid of the hassle of pulling the body, undoing the straps, unplug the pack. ect ect. Im running a novak eiger esc with a 55 turn, it can take 9 cells I think the instructions say, and it is lipo ready, im just not big on lipos, and not looking to spend more money when I have packs on hand. im just bouncing ideas here. I have easy access to my switches under the truck frame, lights and esc. no hassle at all. Pick up the truck , flip the switch ready to go. The truck is big. 14" wheel base and I have plenty of room under the lid. Take a look and you will see what I mean , S&G Racing Far Beyond Driven Build Log. I just want to be able to go on long runs with friends without having to change my packs half way through the run. Im also running rear steer on it, so it does suck up the juice a little. If I ran them parallel it would be 10,000 mAh. right? would that be safe. Im not too new to this but I don't want to fry anything. thanks for your input guys , keep it coming

Last edited by Androtaz; 06-10-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Yup, running parallel doubles your MaH, and your voltage stays the same.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:46 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Amp draw is relatively small and you'd have no problems getting a small switch to do this.
Maxx_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:55 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

You could do the switch. All neg go together one positive to one side switch. One positive to other side switch the feed truck from middle. Alot of soldering wiring and head ache. I agree with parallel its easier. Just make sure you do parallel not series like someone i know they got mixed up fried everything. Good luck in which way you go either can get you what you want.
Kmmac1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
Scale Detail Engineering

I run lipos in parallel for trail runs and it works perfect.
I have a friend that runs 2 lipos but individualy... he has to stop to switch them, I don't.
Parallel is the way to go... unless you are trying to run two different size/voltage batteries.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I just wanted to do something different. I don't mind the wiring and soldering. Ive strived to make my build different and original. That's why I wanted to go with a 2 pack system on a switch. Thanks so much for all your help. I think I found a new home here.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I don't think it's worth doing. Switches end up being a pain in the butt for that. Just do a parallel harness that you can unplug and use a single if you want. The harness will have a single female on one end and 2 males on the other end.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

IMO parallel is the way to go, but I am not gonna tell u to do it. You seem set on the switch idea , so go to radio shack find the smallest 12 volt 3 way switch 10 - 20 amps.. Build it post pics let us know how it works. I think it's a good idea, not the most practical, but that's Wat making your truck yours is all about.
bikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

i wonder if a punk dig could accommodate this... interesting...

Lol, i do run dual batts on my trail truck, but i just reach up under the body and unplug/replug for my second pack.
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #17
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androtaz View Post
I was thinking like a 3 way toggle, left for pack 1 center both off and right for pack 2. Im not looking for more power. Just to get rid of the hassle of pulling the body, undoing the straps, unplug the pack. ect ect. Im running a novak eiger esc with a 55 turn, it can take 9 cells I think the instructions say, and it is lipo ready, im just not big on lipos, and not looking to spend more money when I have packs on hand. im just bouncing ideas here. I have easy access to my switches under the truck frame, lights and esc. no hassle at all. Pick up the truck , flip the switch ready to go. The truck is big. 14" wheel base and I have plenty of room under the lid. Take a look and you will see what I mean , S&G Racing Far Beyond Driven Build Log. I just want to be able to go on long runs with friends without having to change my packs half way through the run. Im also running rear steer on it, so it does suck up the juice a little. If I ran them parallel it would be 10,000 mAh. right? would that be safe. Im not too new to this but I don't want to fry anything. thanks for your input guys , keep it coming
I ran a double pole double throw toggle to switch my two battery packs from parallel to series. I just used a small switch from Radio Shack.
As long as you are not switching under load, the switch will handle the amp draw from a 55T motor just fine. If you use a center-off switch and wire the BEC (if you have one) after the switch, it can be used to turn off the whole truck without having to unplug batteries
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Want to run 2 packs(1ata a time), set up like dual tanks on a 1:1 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lipo packs run time? fastgixxerlv Axial SCX-10 5 09-30-2010 12:17 AM
Creeper run time vs AX-10 run time MikeSSS Electronics 2 09-02-2010 10:47 AM
Can EVX's be ran at 7.2 with dual packs? DUKEMURMUR Electronics 5 02-14-2006 02:53 PM
Dual Battery packs??? jonathonsn General Crawlers 7 10-07-2005 08:27 PM