Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Odd servo prolem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Odd servo prolem

So I got my scx10 back together this weekend and stumbled on to a little problem. I have three servos on the truck (front and rear steering and a dig unit), two hitec hs645mg for steering and a stock axial as3 for the dig. My problem is that when I have the dig engaged for more than a minute or two the two steering servos start glitching and i can't get any response from the steering for esc until I turn the dig unit back off. I don't have a bec installed.
OH91awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Odd servo prolem

you need a bec.....
cartronicshn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
you need a bec.....
Haha I had that thought in the back of my mind. Would a 10 amp be good enough?
Old 07-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Another thing to consider is end points for the dig. If your dig servo is trying to move further than the linkage will allow, it will draw a lot of current and that will make the ESC's internal BEC work harder and then its voltage will sag. Then you see that the other things start to act up - like your steering servos glitching.

So, yes, get a BEC, but also make really sure that your end points are set correctly.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
Another thing to consider is end points for the dig. If your dig servo is trying to move further than the linkage will allow, it will draw a lot of current and that will make the ESC's internal BEC work harder and then its voltage will sag. Then you see that the other things start to act up - like your steering servos glitching.

So, yes, get a BEC, but also make really sure that your end points are set correctly.
How can I adjust the end points?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH91awd View Post
How can I adjust the end points?
This is where the transmitter manual comes in handy.
Which transmitter do you have?
Old 07-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
This is where the transmitter manual comes in handy.
Which transmitter do you have?
I have a spektrum dx6e
Old 07-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I have a spektrum dx6e
I haven't heard of the dx6e. Do you have the manual for it?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:

I haven't heard of the dx6e. Do you have the manual for it?
My bad its a dx5e. And yea I have the manual.. The dig servo is on the aux channel of the radio.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
My bad its a dx5e. And yea I have the manual.. The dig servo is on the aux channel of the radio.
This is a link to the manual if anyone needs it.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...-Manual_EN.pdf

Had a quick read through it and it turns out that you can't set end points with that transmitter. This makes things harder for you.

An end point is an adjustment on better transmitters that lets you set how far in one direction that a servo will travel. There is usually an adjustment for both directions of travel for each channel.

Let's think about your situation with the dig servo. With the servo unhooked from the linkage. You can move the linkage with your fingers to get an idea how far the servo will need to move to make the dig operate. The trouble is that the transmitter you have will only tell the servo to move all the way it can in one direction or the other. The servo will try its hardest to move to where it is commanded to go. Because of mechanical limitations in the dig system, it can't physically move beyond a certain point. The servo will try and just either heat up or break if it isn't able to move until it reaches the point it was commanded to go. If you get yourself a BEC so that the servo can take all the current it is wanting, it just might heat up faster and burn out quickly.

What to do? You can try and create some sort of flexible linkage to the servo so that things bend and the servo doesn't output too much torque, or you could experiment with the servo horn length and find just the right spot to attach the linkage so that it hopefully moves the dig just the right amount.

Or... if you think you will stay with the RC hobby, get yourself a transmitter that has these abilities and save a lot of frustration.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

sounds like you guys have it handled but X2 on the BEC and the travel limits on that dig servo.
warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:

This is a link to the manual if anyone needs it.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...-Manual_EN.pdf

Had a quick read through it and it turns out that you can't set end points with that transmitter. This makes things harder for you.

An end point is an adjustment on better transmitters that lets you set how far in one direction that a servo will travel. There is usually an adjustment for both directions of travel for each channel.

Let's think about your situation with the dig servo. With the servo unhooked from the linkage. You can move the linkage with your fingers to get an idea how far the servo will need to move to make the dig operate. The trouble is that the transmitter you have will only tell the servo to move all the way it can in one direction or the other. The servo will try its hardest to move to where it is commanded to go. Because of mechanical limitations in the dig system, it can't physically move beyond a certain point. The servo will try and just either heat up or break if it isn't able to move until it reaches the point it was commanded to go. If you get yourself a BEC so that the servo can take all the current it is wanting, it just might heat up faster and burn out quickly.

What to do? You can try and create some sort of flexible linkage to the servo so that things bend and the servo doesn't output too much torque, or you could experiment with the servo horn length and find just the right spot to attach the linkage so that it hopefully moves the dig just the right amount.

Or... if you think you will stay with the RC hobby, get yourself a transmitter that has these abilities and save a lot of frustration.
What radio would you suggest then? I'm open to any opinions.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I really like the Flysky GT3B or GT3C with the firmware update. There is a good (but very large) thread on it. Once you update the firmware, you can have up to eight channels and lots of features.
GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread
Old 07-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Odd servo problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyOK View Post
I really like the Flysky GT3B or GT3C with the firmware update. There is a good (but very large) thread on it. Once you update the firmware, you can have up to eight channels and lots of features.
GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread
HeyOK is referring to the "hacked" GT3B/GT3C radio.

It's a pretty hard combo to beat for one rig, even better for multiple rigs (additional RX's for ~$8......).

I run a hacked GT3B, will be changing to a hacked GT3C and my son "may" drop hie Futaba for a hacked GT3C as well.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

I may have to look into that radio
Old 07-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Also may be noted to run seprate bec s to each servo.... At least the two steering ones if not all 3
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote

Odd servo prolem - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Odd Servo Behavior, BEC Needed? prioret Electronics 8 05-25-2011 08:24 AM
An odd ? major94 Redcat Crawlers 2 03-20-2010 09:00 AM
Youtube Prolem. eemmaaxxxx Chit Chat 7 02-24-2010 07:45 PM
thats odd ILoveRCRockCrawlin Comments, Suggestions, and Help 2 02-03-2006 08:49 PM
odd ebay lodikrawlingkiller Chit Chat 5 02-13-2005 08:51 PM