Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Another great "which esc/motor combo?"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Another great "which esc/motor combo?"

I am looking at building another rig for mud, trails and a little sand/foff action. I plan to go brushless and have thought about Traxxas VXL and Castle. I have decided to go Castle on this one. I am not familiar with Castle and am trying to decide between the sv3 sct esc / 3800 combo or the sv3 / 4600 combo. Both claim to be water proof but I am a little concerned with two things. The sv3/4600 seems like it would get hotter easier /faster...but it also seems to be advertised a lot more as a waterproof esc/motor. Advise and opinions on these options much appreciated. Thanks!
ah_5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Another great "which esc/motor combo?"

Tower specs say the 4600kv is for vehicles less than 5lbs. I would have probably went with the 3800 anyway though for the reasons you already mentioned.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

It does say under 5lbs but Castle pushes on the site so hard about it being for crawlers/scalers and water and mud etc. I assume that is specifically refering to the esc with a brushed motor and not brushless crawlers? Is the SV3 SCT just as water proof?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Everything you mentioned is sensorless and going to cog if you try to go slow. Be aware of that.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yes I am thanks though for the heads up.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Agreed about the cogging, for go fast applications the 1410 3800kv is nice. The 1415 2400kv however is a monster on 3s-4s for go fast in a smaller package than an 1/8 motor. Wouldn't recommend going with anything faster than that unless its a 2wd buggy or onroad.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

What up dude, hate I missed you and Corey going to Northshore.

Calderwood is right. For crawling your really need to look at sensored setups. The problem with sensorless (like you are looking at) is that there is no sensor to tell the ESC where the rotor is, so it just sends power till the motor works it out...that is cogging in a nutshell. Once the motor works it out, it is balls out (much better for go-fasts). With a sensored setup the ESC knows where the rotor is and send the power to the correct place equaling smooth startup. That is vey layman's terms, but that is the way I understand it. The VXL has very limited adjustability for crawling. So not good for how you crawl.

Castle makes truly awesome crawling ESCs. I run a Castle MMP and Novak 18.5 crawler motor. It is an awesome setup for my scaler, but not waterproof at all. The problem is the sensor port for the motor very susceptible to water. I have heard people having good success with dipping or siliconing the port and motor wires, but there is always that chance (That is what scares me). Everything else can be sealed in servo or project boxes. The big fear is the motor.

My opinion, if your main function is mud and water. I would suggest staying brushed. Since it is going to see a rough life, AE-2 or 3 (Axial on the sticker, but Castle underneath) and an Integy 35T with a good com shave. Quality stuff, but you will be in the realm of inexpensive enough to just toss and replace with not much investment.

ETRC is going to be doing some scale stuff at Loudon Dam in Jan, check out the comp section. Corey and I will be there.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I have crawlers and run primarily Holmes esc/ motors with some axial/Tekin combos too. I'm wanting something like a basher. For crawling I'm more than happy with brushed... But I want something mean! In sand, mud, dirt and anywhere else I want to let it eat. Yeah I will trail it at times I'm sure but my primary goal is wheel speed and to jump over the trail.

My gut and Paypal funds say stick with sv3 sct and a 3800. I just want to make sure the castle waterproof is good and reliable. I assume so coming from castle.

Can the 1415 2400kv you mentioned run on the sv3 sct?
Old 12-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I've ran the SV3 in a lot of my rigs before I went sensored and loved it I've ran it with the 3800, 4600, 5700 and the 6900 both of the latter being in my mud truck with 84spur and 17pinion on 3s and was wicked fast.

One of my rigs currently has a SV3 to a 1415 2400Kv and it powers it just fine with no temp issues, so yes it can power it.

I personally have a submerged them all (9 that I've own) and watched 5 of my buddies submerge them to where the truck was completely under water and still have never had an issue so the waterproofing is top notch.

As for staying brushed with mud and water, no way! Stay as far away from brushed as possible or you will constantly have "dirty motor" and having to grab your rig out of the water and mud more than you want.
RebelRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the reply!
Old 12-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_5500 View Post
I assume so coming from castle.
Castle doesn't exactly have the best rep for ESC's. For bashers atleast.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

What's your budget?
Old 12-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
my primary goal is wheel speed and to jump over the trail.

My gut and Paypal funds say stick with sv3 sct and a 3800. I just want to make sure the castle waterproof is good and reliable. I assume so coming from castle.

Can the 1415 2400kv you mentioned run on the sv3 sct?
I like that...jump over the trail!

SV3 is a good ESC, but I still would suggest the MMP. Yes, not waterproof, but seal it in a box and you are good. The reason is the pure flexibility, you can run brushed, brushless (sensored and sensorless), and handles up to 6s if you want. Fully adjustable with the castle link. If you want to go back brushed or run a Pro4, you are covered.

I have had fantastic success with mine.

One thing I did not consider is the 3800 is a 4 pole. That may help with cogging at slow speed (I think). For their size they are a very stout motor, I have never run in crawler. They do great in a Pro4, so the posibilities of what you are wanting are there. I have a couple if you want to give it shot to see if it gives you what you need before you hit the mud.

But the question of budget is a good one.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Budget for this build tops out at about 150 ish for making it move. I need to save a little back for a servo, I'm looking at the waterproof savox for around $50. If I was going to go non-wp I'd lean towards Tekin because I've had good luck with them and they are teeny tiny. Budget stops me from going further to castles lineup. If I did dig deeper id look at the sv3 and 1415 2400 vs the 3800.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
Castle doesn't exactly have the best rep for ESC's. For bashers atleast.

How come you say this? I do not have personal experience with them.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Budget for this build tops out at about 150 ish for making it move. I need to save a little back for a servo, I'm looking at the waterproof savox for around $50. If I was going to go non-wp I'd lean towards Tekin because I've had good luck with them and they are teeny tiny. Budget stops me from going further to castles lineup. If I did dig deeper id look at the sv3 and 1415 2400 vs the 3800.
You can always conformal coat the Tekin's... The size makes them very functional when real estate is at a premium.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
For that budget you can get a used Castle MMP and a new Hobbywing 3400kv 3656SD. That way you have sensored 4 pole power with a bigger rotor than a pro4. A little conformal coating and some dielectric grease and you have a waterproof setup that's fast as hell and doesn't compromise slow speed. I run a 3656SD in my wraith and it's awesome.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I'll look into those. I know people have good luck with waterproofing their own and I have as well but I prefer to buy this one ready to go. It makes me feel fuzzier inside that way. Additionally, with big money I prefer to buy new.

Last edited by ah_5500; 12-21-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Another great "which esc/motor combo?" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM
MRC "motor noise" and L-trail chassis "drive shaft" joeel Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 03-04-2010 04:38 PM
Novak Releases "The Goat" brushed/brushless esc and sintered brushless motor Rockpiledriver Electronics 70 09-26-2007 05:59 PM