Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: First time builder and frustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 12:08 AM   #1

Default First time builder and frustrated

So, I finally got everything I need to get my first rig rolling all sitting neatly on the chassis and I finally got a chance to try and start this thang up. I have a Spektrum DX4S radio and was using the SR4210 Rx initially. Well that didn't go well, apparently you have to bind the transmitter to the receiver every time you turn the power on and off or something like that? (Thats what the manual seemed to make it seem like, might be wrong on this.) Anyway, I swap it out for the 410 that was in the box. Radios on, I turn on the truck and presto! I am able to initiate the MMPs quick start. Steering servo is a turning, and the motor is spinning with forward and backwards input.

I turn the thing off, and reattach both the trans driveshaft, and my steering linkage. I turn it on, but this time the lights go on, the fan goes on, some tones sound and then all three lights come on. The lights stay on, but the Green and Red stay solid, while the Yellow blinks. Throttle doesn't work, steering wheel doesn't work... I can't initiate any commands...nothing.

Wth is going on?! I've tried binding my remote to the Rx, nothing works!
JKWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #2
Proverbial threadkiller

Default Re: First time builder and frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKWrangler View Post
So, I finally got everything I need to get my first rig rolling
all sitting neatly on the chassis
and I finally got a chance to try and start this thang up.
Spektrum radio, and Castle MMP,

What battery?

External BEC /regulator?

Anything else plugged into the receiver? (lights, sound module, winch, etc)

What servo?

Quote:
I have a Spektrum DX4S radio and was using the SR4210 Rx initially.
Well that didn't go well, apparently you have to bind the transmitter to the receiver every time you turn the power on and off or something like that?
(Thats what the manual seemed to make it seem like, might be wrong on this.)
My Spektrum experience is limited, but this doesn't sound right. Oh well, you're using the other one, so I guess it don't matter now.

Quote:
The lights stay on, but the Green and Red stay solid, while the Yellow blinks.
Throttle doesn't work, steering wheel doesn't work... I can't initiate any commands...nothing.

Wth is going on?! I've tried binding my remote to the Rx, nothing works!
Okay, you've chosen bind mode in your radio's menu, then put your jumper in the bind port, and powered up the receiver?

After the receiver was bound, did you remember to remove the jumper?

All trims and sub-trims set to zero?

Servo plugged into Channel 1? (which may or may not be the first slot)
ESC plugged into Channel 2? (again, may or may not be the second slot)

Did you calibrate the ESC? (hold full throttle on the remote, turn on the ESC, wait for beeps indicating WOT(fwd) stored, hold full brake/reverse wait for beeps indicating WOT(rev) stored, release throttle to neutral wait for beeps indicating Neutral is stored)

Battery charged?

If you're using a NiMh/NiCad, did you go in and turn off the MMP's Low Voltage Cutoff?

Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

the srs4210 AVC rx does not need binding everytime you turn on,only when you change radio settings.

also with that srs4210 rx you can only use pure digital servos as anything else really cant handle the speed/framerate of the signal without eventually overheating and crapping out, that is because of the avc feature and how hard and fast it will work the servo, once you have initially bound that rx then you have to follow a calibration process for the rx itself which helps the on board sensors, once initially bound WITH the bind plug still in go full throttle, then full brake, then steering max right and finally steering max left.

i have the dx4c and have used and setup the srs4210 avc rx many times for many vehicles, it just has a very specific bind and calaibrate sequence for the benefit of the sensors.

i also currently run a spektrum sr410 non avc rx with a mamba max pro and have no issues with it going through the setup process or any issues at all,

when switching the mmp on it does go through a sequence of initial tones then battery count tones i.e 2 beeps for 2s detected 3 beeps for 3s ect ect then it has a pause time before arming, this is default 1.5s ithink if you touch the throttle before the arming time finishes it will not arm as it has to see a neutral signal input for the duration of the arming period before it will be set and ready to use.

tony
Awesome-Sauce RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

also if you dont have a castle link programmer its worth getting one, i have been fine tuning my mmp and its quicker than using the tx method or if you want to tweek more than the tx option can offer.
Awesome-Sauce RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:08 PM   #5

I know this is an old thread, but I FINALLY figured out how to get the MMP to calibrate with the Spektrum SRS4210 receiver and DX4C transmitter.

You MUST first perform the TX/RX calibration procedure on page 8 of the receiver manual whether you are using AVC or not. If you are NOT using AVC, you have to use TWO bind plugs. One in the standard BIND port and the other in the DISABLE port.

Here is the link to the SRS4210 receiver manual.

https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/..._Manual_EN.pdf

Once the TX/RX calibration is complete, the MMP ESC will calibrate normally. I messed around with this all day today before I finally figured it out.
n10cities is offline   Reply With Quote

First time builder and frustrated - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
having issues building shocks (1st time kit builder) IPT Axial Wraith 20 05-13-2014 11:44 AM
Help please... Getting frustrated! morpheus_tn Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 01-04-2012 10:00 AM
First time crawler builder and want to do it right coryjones Tamiya Clod Buster 0 10-04-2010 10:56 PM
FJ "Bushwacker" Long time builder, first time poster adrenalinerc 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 07-20-2009 06:31 PM
First time builder need some assistance whitey07 Newbie General 1 01-03-2008 10:33 AM