Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Position a servo with a toggle switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2015, 09:55 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Position a servo with a toggle switch

Recently a customer wanted a way to move a servo on his rig to two different positions. I didn't ask why (or I forget ), but I expect a gizmo like this would have a few uses.
Lets say you want to run a two speed transmission on your truck but you don't have a spare channel on your radio. This part lets you position a servo just by flipping a toggle switch. Two trim pots lets you set exactly where the servo will park in both of the switch positions.

I don't know how many of you would need something like this, so I wanted to post up a prototype to get some of your feedback.

You can plug this into a spare port on your receiver or feed it power from a Y connector on any of your servo plugs. The controller isn't too fussy about how much voltage you run through it, so it would work fine for a high voltage servo if that is what you want to do.

Watch it here:
https://youtu.be/QxLUY6yRsxE

Last edited by heyok; 06-09-2015 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Added link to youtube video
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Position a servo with a toggle switch

Thats cool Al, I would use something like that for using on a custom trailer build where the ramps would be raised and lowered by that switch. Okay question could you wire it to where it could have a ON-OFF-ON switch so that it could power like one of your 3 position servo winches?
wolfsbone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:26 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsbone01 View Post
Thats cool Al, I would use something like that for using on a custom trailer build where the ramps would be raised and lowered by that switch. Okay question could you wire it to where it could have a ON-OFF-ON switch so that it could power like one of your 3 position servo winches?
That's a great use on your trailer ramp!

Yes, I could make it do three positions and it could operate a three position channel servo winch.
If you really want to run a winch from a toggle switch though, you can do it and you don't need any electronics. Just wiring. Using one 3 position toggle, you can have Winch In, Stop and Winch Out. Compared to using one of my winch controllers though, you won't have the electric brake when it is in stop mode. It is possible to simulate a brake if you use two toggle switches.
Let me know if you guys want to know how to do this and I will show you in another thread.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:44 PM   #4

i could see how this would be neat for non rc stuff, like actuators for hidden panels in autos to hide rare birds or something. ;)
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

If I had a 2 speed transmission in my wraith I could use this to replace the faux shifter that gets screwed into the interior body work...
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:00 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
i could see how this would be neat for non rc stuff, like actuators for hidden panels in autos to hide rare birds or something. ;)
Cool idea!
Does "rare bird" mean something or am I just looking for meaning that isn't there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_0_1 View Post
If I had a 2 speed transmission in my wraith I could use this to replace the faux shifter that gets screwed into the interior body work...
Great idea!
Maybe I should post this up as a regular part for sale.
Can I make one for you?
Old 06-12-2015, 11:25 AM   #7

no hidden meaning. ;)

i saw a news story once on smugglers of all types. i was amazed that there are bird smugglers. they showed a car that had birds stuffed in tubes everywhere.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
If you really want to run a winch from a toggle switch though, you can do it and you don't need any electronics. Just wiring. Using one 3 position toggle, you can have Winch In, Stop and Winch Out. Compared to using one of my winch controllers though, you won't have the electric brake when it is in stop mode. It is possible to simulate a brake if you use two toggle switches.
Let me know if you guys want to know how to do this and I will show you in another thread.
I would. I am looking to mount twin winches on the back of my 6x6 and don't need them to be transmitter controlled. Just run by toggle switch.
Spidubic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:11 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

This is the two switch version.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Heyok! Seems fairly straightforward. Also looks like I could add a second winch and On/Off switch and be able to run both from one DPDT switch allowing either one to run or actually have both spool in or out at the same time. Now I can't wait to get going on the winches. You da man Heyok!
Spidubic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:08 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Can you PM me a price for one of these? Would be great for my 2 speed transmission in my wraith.

Wes
WesTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:55 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTX View Post
Can you PM me a price for one of these? Would be great for my 2 speed transmission in my wraith.

Wes
Will do.
Thanks for your interest.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Added this as a new product in the vendor section:
Toggle Switch Servo Positioner
Old 06-17-2015, 09:32 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I've done a bit more work to this and now you can have three positions using a toggle switch.
It will use one of those three position toggle switches. There will still be two pots on the controller. When the switch is in the center position, the servo will be centered. Swing the switch left or right and the left or right pot sets those servo positions.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Could I just dip this thing in silicone conformal coating for waterproofing purposes? Not planning on getting into deep water but want to prepare for the worst just in case.

Wes
Old 06-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTX View Post
Could I just dip this thing in silicone conformal coating for waterproofing purposes? Not planning on getting into deep water but want to prepare for the worst just in case.

Wes
You could do that. I prefer Plasti Dip as I know it won't get inside the pots but will still water proof it and if you need to, you can pick it off to adjust the pots again.
Conformal coating would probably work fine too. My concern is that it would run inside the crack around the rotating part of the pot and make it so you couldn't adjust it anymore.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
You could do that. I prefer Plasti Dip as I know it won't get inside the pots but will still water proof it and if you need to, you can pick it off to adjust the pots again.
Conformal coating would probably work fine too. My concern is that it would run inside the crack around the rotating part of the pot and make it so you couldn't adjust it anymore.
Gotcha, makes total sense.

So just dip the whole thing in a bowl of the plastidip that typically comes in a paint can type container?

Wes
Old 06-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Most of it is already covered in plastidip. Just need to cover up the openings for the pots on yours. Usually I just use an old chopstick to apply it.
Dip your stick it in the goo, then spread it around the hole.
I didn't really mean for that to sound dirty.

Position a servo with a toggle switch - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Servo Toggle Switch heyok Vendors Electronics 19 03-18-2015 05:20 AM
Can I get my Futaba 3PM 3rd channel to work a servo to toggle my light switch? jedi Newbie General 2 08-10-2009 07:12 AM
Toggle switch on a servo??? Biscuit Electronics 1 04-11-2009 01:16 AM
Can a three position toggle be installed in a m8? rockdevil Electronics 3 08-11-2008 09:29 PM