Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Storing lipos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Storing lipos

I just moved to a apartment. at the house I was at I left the lipos out side in a steel box. figured that would be the safest. no longer can do that. I have a bunch of ammo cans from my father. during the move lost the lipo bags. have 3 on order. still cleaning up getting things where I want. battery's all over the place. what would be good to do? bunch of people live here. need to make sure this is safe. thanks guys
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2016, 04:35 PM   #2

Default Re: Storing lipos

Well for now I would just put them in the ammo can like you suggested. It would be better to do that then have a freak thing happen. Just my .02
RemoteControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:08 AM   #3
RCC Addict

yes they are going in there. still waiting on the bags
Old 02-16-2016, 07:08 AM   #4
RCC Addict

a guy at work said keep the lipos in the fridge. will slow down the chemical reaction. anyone else here os this? thanks
Old 02-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I have been in an apartment since '08. 12 lipos here and I keep em in the fridge in lipo bags. Check em once a week with a lipo checker if they don't get used wich is usually every weekend.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:14 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I store them inside without ammo cans and without lipo bags. No issues for, well since 2005 doing that.

Seems like people really think these things are time bombs. They aren't if you keep them properly charged in storage modes and never keep them full charged.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:36 AM   #7

Put your batts in Lipo bags and then put them into the ammo box. Don't store your ammo box on carpet, instead keep it on tile or concrete. Also, keep it away from others, so it doesn't get knocked around. Here is a good thread about an ammo box preventing a fire: Lipo Fire... Fortunately Contained! (Pic Heavy)
ole_gators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
Proverbial threadkiller

I store mine each in their own LiPo Sack. Before I close the flap, I stick a rod, all-thread, tubing, whatever I have on hand, across the top and hang them on hooks in the pegboard, similar to a hanging file system in a filing cabinet. Out in the open, easy to see, easy to reach up and give 'em a feel to check for bloating or mushiness, (shrug) seems to be working so far.
I also mounted a fire extinguisher on the opposite wall, just below the light switch. It's just a cheap, A-B-C rated unit, so it won't put out flammable metals (like Lithium), but it should be able to handle any surrounding materials.
I would imagine if I was to ever put my batts in an ammo can, I'd make sure there were some vent holes drilled. Having one of them things light off inside a sealed metal enclosure just seems to me like more of a crude pipe bomb than safe storage. Then again, I haven't had an incident yet, so I guess I wouldn't be much of an expert on the situation.

With the smaller LiPo's such as in old, un-used cell phones, MP-3 players, etc, the wife like to just chuck them in an old purse and toss them nonchalantly into a closet in the spare bedroom. I don't recommend this method, as I have found (so far) one old MP-3 player where the battery swelled enough to push the back off the device. She's never seen a LiPo fire, and "doesn't 'get' all that technical stuff", so God only knows what's hiding where.

I guess like anything else in life, it's up to you to determine your own risk comfort level and protect yourself appropriately.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:05 AM   #9
RCC Addict

cant keep them charged? will go home and change that.. thanks a lot of good ideas
Old 03-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I store mine sitting on the bench fully charged and ready to go. If my garage burns down you kids can tell me that you told me so but I ain't scared of them.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:06 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

So I have to pack all my sh$! Up for a minimum of 3 months and possibly for a year or so...everything is in waterproof containers.

I plan on the lipos to be charged and in bomb bags. What's any concerns? Is that not the safest scenario?
Postclanker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
So I have to pack all my sh$! Up for a minimum of 3 months and possibly for a year or so...everything is in waterproof containers.

I plan on the lipos to be charged and in bomb bags. What's any concerns? Is that not the safest scenario?
For 3 months or longer I would put them in storage mode. You will have bad cells if stored for months fully charged atleast that's what I found when I took a break from the hobby for 6 months.

If using your batts every week I will keep charged and go but sitting longer then 2 weeks I storage charge..
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:38 AM   #13
RCC Addict

mine been sitting about 6 weeks fully charged. ill change that.. they are new. don't need them going bad already
Old 04-07-2016, 06:48 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I've had some 850 mah 4s packs that were given to me about 4 years ago but I'd never had anything to run them in until recently. I plugged them into my charger and balanced them. One took 32 mah the other took 6 mah. They'd been charged the whole time and I had no idea. They still work fine.

I keep all of my batteries fully charged but I run them a cycle every weekend so it's not an issue.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:07 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
I store them inside without ammo cans and without lipo bags. No issues for, well since 2005 doing that.

never keep them full charged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I store mine sitting on the bench fully charged and ready to go. If my garage burns down you kids can tell me that you told me so but I ain't scared of them.
I'm with the old heads..

Except for the, never keeping them fully charged, part..

My charger sits on a wood dresser, along with a dozen packs.. My crawling backpack, sits with a dozen or so, fully charged packs in it.. At all times..

When I'm ready to go, they are ready!

I don't charge when no one is home, most of the time.. But there only problems I've had with lioo's, is when they are in a rig, being whooped on.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:22 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

We were eating dinner a few months back and kept hearing Cracking sounds the next morning I saw my old iPhone had swelled and popped the chrome band off. The lipo as you guessed already gave it up. Buy a good quality lipo sack like liposack.com.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:19 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

My charger sits on a lipo sack. I'm sure that'll help when my lipos decide to kill me.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:23 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I got a cheap like 20$ fire safe from Wal-Mart it's not sealed do there is no explosion.and it's rated to handle all my batteries burning and then some.my batteries just stay in there when I'm not using or charging them.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk
oldcoopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:53 PM   #19

A couple questions.. 1) where do I get a Lipo sack?, and 2) how do I "storage" charge them? I'm sure someone can refer me to a thread that has both questions answered.

Thanks in advance
rockpunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpunisher View Post
A couple questions.. 1) where do I get a Lipo sack?, and 2) how do I "storage" charge them? I'm sure someone can refer me to a thread that has both questions answered.

Thanks in advance
1) Ebay or wherever you buy batteries

2) It's a setting on your charger, if your charger doesn't have it you might want to get a new charger...
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Storing lipos - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Storing question? raw111 Tires and Wheels 15 11-19-2015 06:08 AM
Storing Lipos Problem alexchen86 Electronics 8 10-03-2011 07:14 PM
Storing Lipos EvilPlots Electronics 2 01-26-2011 06:06 PM
Storing my motors LostCrawler Newbie General 0 12-16-2010 10:13 AM
Storing Lipo's between use FlexinTLT Electronics 13 07-02-2008 11:48 AM