Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: buying some new lipos. question on c rating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default buying some new lipos. question on c rating

what up guys. have some lipos from these guys. had good luck with them. how are these? never had the Elite ones.. how much does the c rating matter?

Value Hobby R/C Hobby Store (Addison, Illinois): GForce Elite Series 60C 2200mAh 3S 11.1V LiPO (T Connector)
thanks
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #2

Default Re: buying some new lipos. question on c rating

You want the highest C rating you can afford, especially in fast stuff.

What are you running these in? If it's just a crawler you should be fine.

You can get batteries that are just as good for less money. See this one at HobbyKing and it is stocked in the US: Turnigy Heavy Duty 2200mAh 3S 60C Lipo Pack (AR Warehouse)
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:55 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You can get batteries that are just as good for less money. See this one at HobbyKing and it is stocked in the US: Turnigy Heavy Duty 2200mAh 3S 60C Lipo Pack (AR Warehouse)
I have several Gforce packs and I like them much more than my Turnigy packs. On average, the Gforce packs are smaller and lighter than comparable Turnigy ones. This gives me the option to up the capacity with the same dimensions or just save a little weight.

The price difference is negated by the shipping cost. Value Hobby has $3.99 flat rate shipping while that Turnigy battery would cost $10 to get to my house (AR to NC). Both end up being just under $30 out of pocket.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

For a crawler the higher c rating means you spent more money. If you're running a bouncer, racer etc then the c rating means you have the ability to go full throttle and get full current without damaging the cells. As the battery gets higher capacity the c rating means less. A 5000mah 20c will safely run some serious power but a 500 mah 20c will puff and die quickly so to its small capacity.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Higher c rating just means it can discharge faster than a lower c. That pack can take a 132 amp continuous discharge 2.2 amp x 60c= 132amp. You wont be able to over c an rc but if you under c one the bat will not last long and/or fire.
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I have several Gforce packs and I like them much more than my Turnigy packs. On average, the Gforce packs are smaller and lighter than comparable Turnigy ones. This gives me the option to up the capacity with the same dimensions or just save a little weight.

The price difference is negated by the shipping cost. Value Hobby has $3.99 flat rate shipping while that Turnigy battery would cost $10 to get to my house (AR to NC). Both end up being just under $30 out of pocket.
To each their own, but the Turnigy batteries are popular on this site and others for a reason. They work well and are cheap to replace.

You should order a minimum of three (3) of these batteries for a day of crawling. In that case the total from HobbyKing is $67.78 shipped to PA whereas the total from ValueHobby is $76.50 shipped. That's a significant difference stemming from the fact that the ValueHobby batteries are roughly $7 more expensive than the Turnigy batteries and it negates the higher cost of shipping at HobbyKing.

The size difference difference isn't a major issue. The HobbyKing battery is slightly longer and thicker, but the ValueHobby battery is wider so what is better for you may not fit as well in a different truck.

ValueHobby
101mm X 35mm X 25mm
193g

HK
107mm x 27mm x 34mm
198g
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I run the value hobby batteries, also have a few turnigy batteries. the value hobby ones for my saddle pack setups much better than the turnigy batteries do. The rigs I have seem to run better on the value hobby batteries than the turnigy ones, the C ratings are actually lower on the value hobby ones so I am not completely sure as to why they seem to work better, last longer and have more punch....
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:54 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

not to throw a wrench into it but I'm having great luck with the Vant battery. 3S, 6500maH with a 75C rating. pretty cheap on A**zon.
8000ft is offline   Reply With Quote

buying some new lipos. question on c rating - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about Turn rating on an ESC. NewB_SCX10 Electronics 6 01-02-2011 07:52 AM
Lipo C rating question papabash Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 14 10-27-2010 12:38 PM
Lipo C rating Battery question norbyx Electronics 6 08-10-2010 03:17 PM
Servo Rating Question. Blood_Clod Electronics 4 05-10-2010 07:17 AM
C rating question Rooney7783 Electronics 7 07-02-2008 10:35 AM