RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Hobbywing Quicrun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/580749-hobbywing-quicrun-waterproof-1080-brushed-crawling-esc.html)

rustneversleeps 03-09-2017 09:38 AM

Re: Hobbywing Quicrun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortyeightjake (Post 5678984)
Alright guys, I got mine all wired up and whatnot. I guess I wired the motor in backwards because I had to set the max forward force to 50% and reverse to 100%. I'm running 3S with a cheap Axial 27t motor. I was doing some slow technical crawling (putting some strain on the motor) and the motor got hot, like really hot and smelling burnt. This is a stock gearing RTR SCX10ii. I'm going to go down a couple teeth on the pinion but does this have anything to do with the motor being wired backwards?

Other than that, I love the adjustability on this ESC. My other little observation is that my servo feels a little weaker than it did on my than it did on my 10a CCBEC. I have the ESC set to 6V like my BEC was. I'll have to do some more testing though as this may have been a figment of my imagination.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I had mention the same thing with the motor wires backwards the program card would be reverse being fwd and fwd being reverse on the settings and running 3s i set the BEC at 7.4....

fortyeightjake 03-09-2017 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustneversleeps (Post 5679048)
I had mention the same thing with the motor wires backwards the program card would be reverse being fwd and fwd being reverse on the settings and running 3s i set the BEC at 7.4....

I'm running a Savox 1231SG. I think it's only rated for 6V. You had a lot of motor heat when running it backwards? Either way I'm flipping the wires today and I'll be doing a smaller pinion. It's a bit on the fast side anyway.

rustneversleeps 03-09-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortyeightjake (Post 5679049)
I'm running a Savox 1231SG. I think it's only rated for 6V. You had a lot of motor heat when running it backwards? Either way I'm flipping the wires today and I'll be doing a smaller pinion. It's a bit on the fast side anyway.

the motor was warm 27T hackmoto 14P 2s,but the motor has an arrow showing what direction the motor should be turning when going fwd,so because the wires are backward the motor rotates backward going fwd esc was cool.The problem for me was 15 mins run time ....still have to test it again....If i only get 15 mins run time again i will reverse the wires too.who know what the direction drag brake going if the wires are backwards...I always thought it didn't matter which way the wires are. hope it make sense......"thumbsup"

fortyeightjake 03-09-2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustneversleeps (Post 5679054)
the motor was warm 27T hackmoto 14P 2s,but the motor has an arrow showing what direction the motor should be turning when going fwd,so because the wires are backward the motor rotates backward going fwd esc was cool.The problem for me was 15 mins run time ....still have to test it again....If i only get 15 mins run time again i will reverse the wires too.who know what the direction drag brake going if the wires are backwards...I always thought it didn't matter which way the wires are. hope it make sense......"thumbsup"

Understood, I see no arrow on the axial motor but who's to say there isn't a "right" way. I'll switch it and see what happens.

rustneversleeps 03-09-2017 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this is just an example i have 27T in the TF2 just beside the 13t you see an arrow.....

Attachment 356454

UGLY 03-09-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortyeightjake (Post 5678984)
Alright guys, I got mine all wired up and whatnot. I guess I wired the motor in backwards because I had to set the max forward force to 50% and reverse to 100%. I'm running 3S with a cheap Axial 27t motor. I was doing some slow technical crawling (putting some strain on the motor) and the motor got hot, like really hot and smelling burnt. This is a stock gearing RTR SCX10ii. I'm going to go down a couple teeth on the pinion but does this have anything to do with the motor being wired backwards?

Other than that, I love the adjustability on this ESC. My other little observation is that my servo feels a little weaker than it did on my than it did on my 10a CCBEC. I have the ESC set to 6V like my BEC was. I'll have to do some more testing though as this may have been a figment of my imagination.

You need to enable active freewheeling if you are crawling. The scx10 is not a technical crawler so you may need to adjust your gearing. A 27t motor is not really a slow crawling motor.

ElChupacabra 03-09-2017 10:50 AM

Getting a surge with mine. Running a Holmes 13T Puller Pro on 3S. With a consistent throttle input it surges power a bit. It's worse the slower it goes. At full speed it's not noticeable. Any suggestions? I haven't really had time to mess with it. Basically wired everything up and ran it around the basement floor for a minute. It's also a new build so I don't have any baseline. Just seemed like an electronics issue and not mechanical in my experience.

UGLY 03-09-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElChupacabra (Post 5679085)
Getting a surge with mine. Running a Holmes 13T Puller Pro on 3S. With a consistent throttle input it surges power a bit. It's worse the slower it goes. At full speed it's not noticeable. Any suggestions? I haven't really had time to mess with it. Basically wired everything up and ran it around the basement floor for a minute. It's also a new build so I don't have any baseline. Just seemed like an electronics issue and not mechanical in my experience.

The wp1080 is not rated for a 13t motor. >16t with 3s

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...nt=26223842568

Check the specs tab for the turn rating, also notice both rpm ratings are for 2s 7.4v

rustneversleeps 03-09-2017 11:07 AM

I wonder if that happens on 2S.
Man I hate electronics you have to adjust esc ,TX and have to watch motor size and then there lipos all to make it work..

Hardcoretam 03-09-2017 11:08 AM

That's really strange. Do you have a spare ESC you can try for a few minutes in it, just to ensure it's 100% an ESC issue?

I think the only time i had that was when i had issues with my new new trans gears being a bit tight and needed broken in with a cordless drill.

JatoTheRipper 03-09-2017 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElChupacabra (Post 5679085)

Video? Sounds more like CVD surge than anything.

dna4engr 03-09-2017 11:16 AM

I didn't have time to read all 6 pages of this thread. Can anyone comment to whether or not you actually go through a calibration procedure with this ESC and your radio? That's my biggest gripe of the quicrun 1060, 860 and the axial ae5. They work just fine, but since it "self calibrates" it never feels quite like you have the control you need with the throttle.

Nothing works quite like a sidewinder or HH brxl when it comes to overall tunability with brushed rigs.

On that note, anyone try to run 4S??? Will this thing arm? It says rated for 3S, but I run 4S on all my scale comp rigs so I have to use a BRXL or Tekin FXR.

UGLY 03-09-2017 11:18 AM

I would swap to a higher turn motor and see if the problem persists. Swapping esc's doesn't really do much to diagnose the problem if said esc is compatible with the motor he is running.

ElChupacabra 03-09-2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UGLY (Post 5679093)
The wp1080 is not rated for a 13t motor. >16t with 3s

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...nt=26223842568

Check the specs tab for the turn rating, also notice both rpm ratings are for 2s 7.4v

I'd guess that's the issue. Sounds like I'll be putting the BR Mini back in that rig. No big deal. I'm sure I'll find another home for the 1080. Perfect excuse to build another truck right?

UGLY 03-09-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dna4engr (Post 5679104)
I didn't have time to read all 6 pages of this thread. Can anyone comment to whether or not you actually go through a calibration procedure with this ESC and your radio? That's my biggest gripe of the quicrun 1060, 860 and the axial ae5. They work just fine, but since it "self calibrates" it never feels quite like you have the control you need with the throttle.

Nothing works quite like a sidewinder or HH brxl when it comes to overall tunability with brushed rigs.

On that note, anyone try to run 4S??? Will this thing arm? It says rated for 3S, but I run 4S on all my scale comp rigs so I have to use a BRXL or Tekin FXR.

Yes, you have to calibrate the throttle on startup using the set switch.

Trigger fwd: set / Trigger mid: set / Trigger rev: set

It appears it can run 4s as it's rated for more amps than the 4s 860. Make sure to disable the internal bec on the esc.

dna4engr 03-09-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElChupacabra (Post 5679108)
I'd guess that's the issue. Sounds like I'll be putting the BR Mini back in that rig. No big deal. I'm sure I'll find another home for the 1080. Perfect excuse to build another truck right?

The 13t puller is a 5 slot motor so its like a 26t 3 slot motor. But being a puller pro it has much more power and probably rpm than a 26/27t motor. A few guys in our club run 11t pullers in their sporty's and pro rigs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UGLY (Post 5679109)
Yes, you have to calibrate the throttle on startup using the set switch.

Trigger fwd: set / Trigger mid: set / Trigger rev: set

It appears it can run 4s as it's rated for more amps than the 4s 860. Make sure to disable the internal bec on the esc.

Cool. Any chance you could plug one in and see if it actually arms??? :mrgreen:

I use 860's as winch controllers on my scale comp rigs and would like a better option that's more compact. These look really nice and would fit the bill.

ElChupacabra 03-09-2017 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dna4engr (Post 5679111)
The 13t puller is a 5 slot motor so its like a 26t 3 slot motor. But being a puller pro it has much more power and probably rpm than a 26/27t motor. A few guys in our club run 11t pullers in their sporty's and pro rigs.

In english doc.... what are you trying to say? The 1080 should handle a 13T Puller?

UGLY 03-09-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Cool. Any chance you could plug one in and see if it actually arms??? :mrgreen:

I use 860's as winch controllers on my scale comp rigs and would like a better option that's more compact. These look really nice and would fit the bill.

The wp1080 has start-up and low throttle failsafe. It's more powerful than the 860 and has some nice programmable features. "thumbsup"

Hardcoretam 03-09-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UGLY (Post 5679106)
I would swap to a higher turn motor and see if the problem persists. Swapping esc's doesn't really do much to diagnose the problem if said esc is compatible with the motor he is running.

When you see "motor limits" on ESC's it's just a rough guide. I've had some ESC's burn up on motors they should be able to handle due to aggressive driving and poor gearing and i've had other speed controls run motors way faster than they're rated just by driving carefully and having conservative gearing.

As others mentioned, the 13T puller motor is a bit different from other brushed motors and would have similar RPM to a good 27t brushed IIRC

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElChupacabra (Post 5679114)
In english doc.... what are you trying to say? The 1080 should handle a 13T Puller?

Easily

UGLY 03-09-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElChupacabra (Post 5679114)

No, the motor you can run is dependent on the esc's firmware.