Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Rock Rey Sensored Setup Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Rock Rey Sensored Setup Advice

Good Afternoon,

I recently got a Rock Rey and I am looking to replace the stock ESC/Motor with a sensored setup. I am planning to use this truck as my multipurpose right (fast and trailing). I am looking for the power system to be waterproof or at-least water resistant. The stock power system consist of the Fuze 130Amp ESC and 2800KV brushless 550 can motor. Now it is recommended by baja rey users to run the truck on 2S as it has plenty of power but also people seem to have drive-train trouble with 3S (bearings, third member, etc.). As a side note the truck stock RTR is 6.5 pounds, once the battery and some additional things are added I will most likely be around 8 pounds.

From the looks of it the Holmes hobbies ESC and new Castle Mamba X will both be two small for the job.

Instead I am looking at the new sensored Castle Mamba Monster with the new 1512 2650KV motor. Again I am planning to run the truck on 2S to prevent premature wear and breaking of the drive train. I don't want to go too high on KV rating since I have less room to gear down on the motor mounts, but have a lot of room to gear up (range 10-18t pinions, stock 12t seems to run cool according to other users).

Does anyone have any other suggestions or thoughts at-least on my plan (mainly will I run into issues on 2S)?

Best Regards,
Cat
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2017, 07:15 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Rock Rey Sensored Setup Advice

I plan on running the Holmes 3500xl and mamba X when the stock stuff gives out. I have no problem with them in my other trucks, don't see why I would in this.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #3

Default Re: Rock Rey Sensored Setup Advice

Hello Everyone-

I am new to the modern RC world and am trying to piece together a kit for my kid. He received the Rock Rey kit as a gift and is SUPER excited to build it because 'it looks soooo cool'. Little did the gift-givers, his grandparents, know that buying the kit was just the beginning (and cheapest) part of this adventure and that poor old dad, aka, ME, will have to fill in for all the other parts and accessories needed to get this baby running.

Anyway, this particular thread Artic Cat started some time ago is exactly where I'm at in the purchasing process. I thought for sure I would find the advice I need but unfortunately, there was only one response.

I was originally leaning towards the Sidewinder 4 w/1410-3800 5MM motor combo but its seems it's always out of stock. I was then advised that the Mamba X SCT Sensored ESC with 1415-2400Kv motor combo would be a much better fit because of the size and weight of the car. The Mamba looks great and I really would like a sensored unit but I don't know if I can justify the cost. And of course, there are all these other cheaper ESC combos found online that look just as good but I question their durability. I am totally open to some of the smaller/foreign brands but just want to know what I am getting into with them before hand.

So if you don't mind, would everyone just respond very quickly with what ESC and motor combinations you are using? I would appreciate it and I'm sure it would help with our decision. We are probably going to drive this in the yard and at the local playground 90% of the time. No real plans to climb competitively but may take it on rough terrain the remaining 10%.

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to contributing more once we get up and running.
BMPNGRND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:27 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I run a Hobbywing EZRUN brushless combo. It's a MAX10 SCT ESC, with a 3660SL G2 4000kv motor (with 5mm shaft). It's unsensored and I use a 2S battery. Some of my takeaways:

-I'm really impressed by Hobbywing's quality. Excellent, especially for the price.

-Buckle up, it's FAST! Barely controllable at top speed. I'd say 4000kv is the upper limit of what anyone running 2S should consider for this car.

-I was worried about heat issues with 4000kv on the stock gearing, but so far so good. Granted, I've been driving on low-resistance surfaces so 3500kv might be a better all-around choice.

-I don't crawl with it, I bash at mid/high speed, so I can't really comment on low-speed startup.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:51 PM   #5

Thanks for the response. The Hobbywing units are definitely worth looking into. And I'm glad you mentioned the 4,000kv rating/limit as well. I was beginning to wonder if I should just grab one of the faster motors which are available now rather than wait for the slower motors to arrive in stock. I'm glad I didn't.
BMPNGRND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:54 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPNGRND View Post
Hello Everyone-

I am new to the modern RC world and am trying to piece together a kit for my kid. He received the Rock Rey kit as a gift and is SUPER excited to build it because 'it looks soooo cool'. Little did the gift-givers, his grandparents, know that buying the kit was just the beginning (and cheapest) part of this adventure and that poor old dad, aka, ME, will have to fill in for all the other parts and accessories needed to get this baby running.

Anyway, this particular thread Artic Cat started some time ago is exactly where I'm at in the purchasing process. I thought for sure I would find the advice I need but unfortunately, there was only one response.

I was originally leaning towards the Sidewinder 4 w/1410-3800 5MM motor combo but its seems it's always out of stock. I was then advised that the Mamba X SCT Sensored ESC with 1415-2400Kv motor combo would be a much better fit because of the size and weight of the car. The Mamba looks great and I really would like a sensored unit but I don't know if I can justify the cost. And of course, there are all these other cheaper ESC combos found online that look just as good but I question their durability. I am totally open to some of the smaller/foreign brands but just want to know what I am getting into with them before hand.

So if you don't mind, would everyone just respond very quickly with what ESC and motor combinations you are using? I would appreciate it and I'm sure it would help with our decision. We are probably going to drive this in the yard and at the local playground 90% of the time. No real plans to climb competitively but may take it on rough terrain the remaining 10%.

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to contributing more once we get up and running.
Hey boss,

Go ahead and check out my build thread in the Rock Rey section. My first post in there goes over the power system I ended up putting into mine. Have had great luck with it so far.

Cat's Rock Rey

Regards
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote

Rock Rey Sensored Setup Advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti vs Rock Rey Rybroca Non Crawler RC's 121 04-19-2017 05:18 PM
Yeti or Rock Rey hozzerr1 Axial Yeti 43 04-15-2017 07:32 PM
Losi Rock Rey 4WD Rock Racer Open for Pre-Order RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 01-04-2017 06:18 PM
Best Brushed Setup Beats Low-end Sensored Setup Jabird Newbie General 16 08-13-2016 03:23 PM
Looking to buy a GMade R1, need Rock Crawling Setup Advice... bur1196 G-Made Crawlers 8 02-08-2014 06:16 AM