Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Not enough power going to my servo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #1

Default Not enough power going to my servo.

Having issues getting full power to my servo. Running a savox servo on my scx10.2 with a 53000mah 3s lipo. When the truck is parked on rough terrain, or I'm on a tough obstacle and need to re arrange my steering, the steering won't go full cut. And that's with a full charge. What's wrong?
Zrx1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2018, 04:58 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Not enough power going to my servo.

You may need a BEC or a stronger servo. Which model is it?
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:12 PM   #3

Honestly not entirely sure. I'd have to check when I get home. It's the solid blue water proof one if that says anything. What exactly is a BEC? I've heard of it but it's never been explained to me before, and what brand do you suggest?
Old 02-27-2018, 05:16 PM   #4

CCR010000400 - CC BEC Switching Voltage Regulator 2-6S Input /4.8-9V 10A Output By CASTLE CREATIONS @ Great Hobbies

Would this do me any good?
Old 02-27-2018, 05:28 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have used these before, but I would recommend their new one, as it is already waterproofed.

CC BEC 2.0 Waterproof Voltage Regulator

Also, consider putting that money towards a new esc with a higher amperage internal bec (castle mamba x). Less space and less wiring.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:39 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Before you buy anything, what is the amperage of the internal bec on your current esc? When you stall the servo, does the control of the throttle go out as well ("brownout")?
Old 02-27-2018, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
I have used these before, but I would recommend their new one, as it is already waterproofed.

CC BEC 2.0 Waterproof Voltage Regulator

Also, consider putting that money towards a new esc with a higher amperage internal bec (castle mamba x). Less space and less wiring.
Is that a better route than just a BEC? I ask because it's cheaper to buy just the BEC.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:40 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrx1224 View Post
Is that a better route than just a BEC? I ask because it's cheaper to buy just the BEC.
Cheaper, if you are handy with a soldering iron and clearly understand electrical circuits. I just installed an external bec in my son's summit (powering only the dual steering servos) and I did the electrical work so that he didn't burn it up. If you need to pay someone to install it it is not so cheap.

When I switched from the stock esc w/external (castle 15A) bec to the Mamba x it was really nice to have so much less wires to stash away. And it is an awesome esc.

But the old external bec will be used in my bomber, so will not go to waste.

It depends on what your priorities are.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
Cheaper, if you are handy with a soldering iron and clearly understand electrical circuits. I just installed an external bec in my son's summit (powering only the dual steering servos) and I did the electrical work so that he didn't burn it up. If you need to pay someone to install it it is not so cheap.

When I switched from the stock esc w/external (castle 15A) bec to the Mamba x it was really nice to have so much less wires to stash away. And it is an awesome esc.

But the old external bec will be used in my bomber, so will not go to waste.

It depends on what your priorities are.
Thanks for the tips. I'm a plumber, not an electrician, so I'm not great with wiring lol. The mamba X sounds like the better route. How exactly will it fix my problem? Simply better equal power delivery?
Old 02-27-2018, 09:06 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

If you are running the original Axial AE-5 ESC, the internal BEC output is 5V. Today's high torque, high voltage servos suffer terribly with low voltage supply to the servo. Check the specs on most high torque servos and note the torque rating change from low voltage to 6V, 7.4V or even higher voltage. Caution though, don't exceed the maximum voltage listed by the manufacturer. That's the advantage of the external BEC, you can set the voltage to the highest recommended by the manufacturer.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:52 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I'm a plumber, not an electrician, so I'm not great with wiring lol. The mamba X sounds like the better route. How exactly will it fix my problem? Simply better equal power delivery?
The esc will provide the additional amperage without the extra wires; the Mamba X (and its competition) can set the voltage higher for everything on connected to the rx - higher voltage for the faster servos, assuming - as already mentioned - that you don't exceed the recommended max voltage for any of the components powered by the bec in the esc.

This is where an external BEC can have value, if you have an rx and/or a shifting or winch servo that is limited to 6V but you want to run the steering servo at 7.4V or higher; you can wire the external bec to only power the steering servo as I did with my son's Summit.

I run the factory tactic rx at 7.4V without problems, but the powerHD servo I tried at that voltage stopped working and smells smokey.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:48 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
The Mamba X is an excellent ESC. It has a ton of tuning options, its waterproof, and will power pretty much any servo (or motor) that you'd put in a crawler. BUT it isn't cheap and might be overkill. Not that overkill is bad, but if you aren't going to use those features, the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Your servo might just be underpowered. Either it doesn't have enough oomph, or it isn't getting the power that it needs. You need to know the model # and torque specs.

If you're not looking to spend big bucks on an ESC, the Hobbywing 1080 is great. It is pretty adjustable, small, waterproof, and has a good internal BEC. Best of all, you can pick it up for about $45.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:35 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Yeah, if you're sticking with brushed, the 1080 is more than enough. It has a 6/7.4 adjustable pwm BEC that's rated for "only" 3A but the rating seems very conservative.

But if it's the blue Savox wp servo I think it doesn't have enough torque to turn the wheels on a grippy surface when not moving anyway...

Last edited by Ninomaniac; 02-28-2018 at 03:40 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:13 AM   #14

If my servo is just under powered.. what is a good powerfull servo I could buy? I thought savox were good servos
Old 02-28-2018, 04:46 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

they are good servos, but there's torque, speed, precision, programmability, waterproofing, brand name, all of that stuff determines price.

look for around 30kg or 400oz, plenty of threads on servos around here.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:39 AM   #16

Time for a better ESC unless you wanna dick around with an external BEC.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:23 AM   #17

When I bought my servo I was told it could run at 6v and 7.4 at 90oz and 111.2oz
Old 02-28-2018, 08:34 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

that's fine... for a touring car or maybe a 2wd buggy
Old 02-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
When I bought my servo I was told it could run at 6v and 7.4 at 90oz and 111.2oz
That's why I asked you for additioonal symptoms back in post #6; you are not having brown out, you simply have a weak servo.

The 'blue' Savox SW1210SG that I use is waterproof and at 7.4 volts it produces .13 sec/319.40 oz-in. I know many here would consider this to be a minimum requirement.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:30 AM   #20
RCC Addict

That servo just isnt strong enough for a crawler. 300oz in would be minimum, but 400+ would be better. Hitec 7955s are a good choice.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Not enough power going to my servo. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Servo power redneckracerx Electronics 9 09-19-2016 05:43 AM
More power to your servo twissted Electronics 14 02-22-2015 11:32 PM
servo power ridgewalker Electronics 2 06-05-2007 10:59 AM
High Power BEC/Servo Power Supply MANTIS Electronics 14 08-09-2006 03:33 PM
servo power? Emaxximuss78 Electronics 4 05-23-2005 01:29 AM