Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 2290 or protek 170t

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2018, 05:09 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: 2290 or protek 170t

Because torque is not the only thing that matters. Durability also matters. If I have a choice between a durable servo and a souped-up servo, I'd rather have the durable servo, because it's more likely to maintain its initial rated torque for years without damaging itself. Do you really think a servo that makes 4x as much torque with the same-size parts is going to last as long?

I don't have solid proof that Hitec is the only RC servo company that also makes automotive servos. I pieced it together from various bits of information in my car-tuning and RC hobbies over the years, and it's been corroborated by other people I've talked to.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Default 2290 or protek 170t

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Yes, I was referring specifically to electric-powered servos, not hydraulic- or pneumatic-powered servos.

I couldn't find any Hitec brushless servos that had the same torque rating as the Savox 2290. The closest I could find was the HSB-9381TH, with 2.45 lb-ft (472 oz-in) @ 9V. I have to wonder, though, why would you possibly need 3.6 lb-ft (694 oz-in) of torque in a RC truck? How jammed are your tires getting, and why are you trying to solve it by steering harder instead of driving better? I use a HS-7955TG in my Wraith, running on the ESC's internal BEC at 5 volts, for a relatively-tiny 0.8 ft-lb (150 oz-in) of torque, and I can't remember the last time the wheels didn't turn when I wanted them to.

I honestly think these new super-ultra-ridonkulous-torque servos are just appealing to stereotypical alpha-male oneupmanship. "My servo has bigger numbers than your servo!" That's nice, have fun mangling your entire steering system because you didn't know when to back-up a few inches and try a better line.

Now I lost faith in your thought process.

I could care less what the numbers are, I know I'm a male, my 3 successful adult children show me that proof daily.

IF you want to know facts, the 500 oz servos would hardly turn my front tires on my 10# wraith on a carpet floor, and wouldn't center on the rocks.

Pictures show the gears torn up multiple times on my 500oz Holmes servo, all because it couldn't center due to tires, foams, knuckle weights, metal axles, and a 4300 3s up front. Back up ??? Yeah that will help center my tires

I needed 600oz, the 2290 has solved my issue on this truck.

if you want to see my trucks, they are listed above, I do run a hitec7954 in the Yeti, with BIG Tall tires,FIRM foams (single stage) so 400oz is perfect.

How heavy is your wraith?

Last edited by mikemcE; 04-02-2018 at 06:53 PM.
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Quote:
I have to wonder, though, why would you possibly need 3.6 lb-ft (694 oz-in) of torque in a RC truck? How jammed are your tires getting, and why are you trying to solve it by steering harder instead of driving better? I use a HS-7955TG in my Wraith, running on the ESC's internal BEC at 5 volts, for a relatively-tiny 0.8 ft-lb (150 oz-in) of torque, and I can't remember the last time the wheels didn't turn when I wanted them to.

I honestly think these new super-ultra-ridonkulous-torque servos are just appealing to stereotypical alpha-male oneupmanship. "My servo has bigger numbers than your servo!" That's nice, have fun mangling your entire steering system because you didn't know when to back-up a few inches and try a better line.

On a comp truck, that reverse just cost a point. And having a servo thats strong enough to help lift the truck up over a ledge is pretty awesome.

On a standard trail truck, a Hitec 7955 at 7.4V is what I normally run. On my comp oriented trucks I want more. The Savox 2290 is a beast of a servo. Fast, strong, and reliable.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Now I lost faith in your thought process.

I could care less what the numbers are, I know I'm a male, my 3 successful adult children show me that proof daily.

IF you want to know facts, the 500 oz servos would hardly turn my front tires on my 10# wraith on a carpet floor, and wouldn't center on the rocks.

Pictures show the gears torn up multiple times on my 500oz Holmes servo, all because it couldn't center due to tires, foams, knuckle weights, metal axles, and a 4300 3s up front. Back up ??? Yeah that will help center my tires

I needed 600oz, the 2290 has solved my issue on this truck.

if you want to see my trucks, they are listed above, I do run a hitec7954 in the Yeti, with BIG Tall tires,FIRM foams (single stage) so 400oz is perfect.

How heavy is your wraith?
You know you're a man, yet you took personally my jab at boys comparing numbers. Oh wait, now you want to compare vehicle weights.

My Wraith weighs 3870g (8lbs 9oz) with Pro-Line Swamper XL tires, beadlock wheels, steel-reinforced stock axles, aluminum shocks, MIP center driveshafts, a 2-speed transmission, a 550-size motor, and 2 servos. How the hell did you manage to pack an extra pound and a half into your truck?

Testing the steering on carpet is an invalid test because there's no comparable surface when you're driving outside, unless you drive on carpet-covered rocks. RC buggy racers routinely destroy parts when driving on carpet tracks -- even without crashing -- because of the insane grip that nylon fibers provide when tire treads dig into them.

Backing up doesn't help center your tires, but it does help you select a better line so your tires don't get stuck in the first place, which is more realistic anyway. You can't just pack more and more power-steering into a real truck. True, backing up costs points when competing, but we're talking about your ten-pound Wraith, not some fancy climb-the-walls competition rig that would weigh half as much as your Wraith in the first place.

- - -

To be fair, you determined that you actually needed 600 oz-in of torque for your monstrous Wraith build. Okay, that's fine. I was previously responding to a comment saying "Why wouldn't I buy the strongest servo I can get my hands on, even if I don't need it?"

Last edited by fyrstormer; 04-02-2018 at 07:40 PM.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Default 2290 or protek 170t

I have a Werty Built stinger / slider combination up front and a welded DMG fastback stiffy out back. Servo winch, light bar and6 rock lights wired..... it all adds up, I also run SSD axles (alloy)
As far as turning on carpet, my floor next to my bench has it . All my other four trucks turn fast and crisp there, so it works well as an equalizer.

And before, the only way I COULD center the servo was backing and hoping. I ran 3batt now, that’s 4 hours or so running and I now can steer and follow a line tightly,

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 04-02-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:08 PM   #46
RCC Addict

fyrstormer, try cranking 7.4V through one of your Hitec 7955s and I bet you wont go back to 5V. Next you'll be spoiled by the power and you'll be on the path to monster torque servos like the 2290.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:36 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yes, I was referring specifically to electric-powered servos, not hydraulic- or pneumatic-powered servos.

I couldn't find any Hitec brushless servos that had the same torque rating as the Savox 2290. The closest I could find was the HSB-9381TH, with 2.45 lb-ft (472 oz-in) @ 9V. I have to wonder, though, why would you possibly need 3.6 lb-ft (694 oz-in) of torque in a RC truck? How jammed are your tires getting, and why are you trying to solve it by steering harder instead of driving better? I use a HS-7955TG in my Wraith, running on the ESC's internal BEC at 5 volts, for a relatively-tiny 0.8 ft-lb (150 oz-in) of torque, and I can't remember the last time the wheels didn't turn when I wanted them to.

The closest to 700 oz you could find in hi-tech is a 9381? Try 7980 or 7990 with 611 oz. Hitech has been cutting off warranty repairs as of late so good luck with that stock pile of shitty servos.

Neanderthals are the only ones that need torque? Back up if it won't turn? I had my suspicions after previous discussions but now I'm convinced you're not only dumb but have a serious inferiority complex. In competitions (no not scale nerd shit where all you girls get a trophy) unwanted points are awarded for backing up. No the steering components aren't harmed since everyone runs good parts not stock garbage. You don't want power, fine it's 2018 so passive aggressive beta males are the norm but don't come into a discussion about power and swing your purse around like we should care about your poorly formed and incorrect opinion.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #48
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Neanderthals are the only ones that need torque? Back up if it won't turn? I had my suspicions after previous discussions but now I'm convinced you're not only dumb but have a serious inferiority complex. In competitions (no not scale nerd shit where all you girls get a trophy) unwanted points are awarded for backing up. No the steering components aren't harmed since everyone runs good parts not stock garbage. You don't want power, fine it's 2018 so passive aggressive beta males are the norm but don't come into a discussion about power and swing your purse around like we should care about your poorly formed and incorrect opinion.
Attached Images

calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:
You don't want power, fine it's 2018 so passive aggressive beta males are the norm but don't come into a discussion about power and swing your purse around like we should care about your poorly formed and incorrect opinion.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #50
RCC Addict

One thing I look for is Brushless, they generally last 5 times longer than core-less. however core-less are generally quicker. 2. is not to have that stupid plastic gear that always fails. I think I still have 3 extras setting around! LOL. 3. I like the ones where you do not need a BEC. I have had so many issues with BEC's I just assume avoid them. 4. I like to have parts available. In other words gear sets. Want to be able to order them quickly if need. 5. Waterproofing, as in sealed cases. Because even with conformal coating if water gets in the bearings can rust.

These are things I look for. After destroying tons of servos over the years. I know what really upsets me now.. ha, ha

Last edited by holycaveman; 04-03-2018 at 12:19 PM.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:09 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You don't want power, fine it's 2018 so passive aggressive beta males are the norm but don't come into a discussion about power and swing your purse around like we should care about your poorly formed and incorrect opinion.
Are we sure its 2018?

This is more like 2008 RCC post material. Good to see it outside of the Chit Chat section again.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #52

Quote:
Because torque is not the only thing that matters. Durability also matters. If I have a choice between a durable servo and a souped-up servo, I'd rather have the durable servo, because it's more likely to maintain its initial rated torque for years without damaging itself. Do you really think a servo that makes 4x as much torque with the same-size parts is going to last as long?

I don't have solid proof that Hitec is the only RC servo company that also makes automotive servos. I pieced it together from various bits of information in my car-tuning and RC hobbies over the years, and it's been corroborated by other people I've talked to.
You say that like you can't get torque and durability. News flash - you can. Savox servos are reliable. I wouldn't bet my day on any Protek product, personally. But Hitec, for sure, isn't the only reliable servo company.

Quote:
That was truly funny. It's even I-owe-you-a-beer worthy.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #53

I ordered the last 2290 in stock at DLux. I felt my testosterone raise right after I clicked the order button. I think the rig that gets this servo will be called the panty dropper because women will be throwing themselves at it and me just because I bought a 2290.

No transgender servo on my rigs!

Old 04-04-2018, 11:09 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I ordered the last 2290 in stock at DLux. I felt my testosterone raise right after I clicked the order button. I think the rig that gets this servo will be called the panty dropper because women will be throwing themselves at it and me just because I bought a 2290.

OPIE

All male

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
OPIE

All male

Hang up and Drive
With the HD skull roof.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:11 PM   #56
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Booo....I was waiting to order until I got a response from Erik about U4 trusses. Hopefully he gets more. I need more TRT.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Gotta say this is the first argument I've heard about buying a better servo where toxic masculinity became a factor in servo choice.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Gotta say this is the first argument I've heard about buying a better servo where toxic masculinity became a factor in servo choice.
What is "toxic masculinity"?

Not sure if you were referring to my post, but I was joking. This thread nor the servo's "manliness" made me choose it.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post

When facts and intelligent thought are replaced by emotion and feelings you get what we ended up with here.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #60

Back to our originally scheduled program

2290 arrived today

Will install this weekend

Thanks
OldNASCARCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

2290 or protek 170t - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Protek RC 170s and 170t servo? laalaa Electronics 7 08-16-2015 12:41 PM