Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Technical question!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2018, 09:31 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Technical question!

Do you have to have a brushless ESC if you get a brushless steering servo? I noticed the Hobbywing I'm interested in says "brushed"...but they also make a brushless. Or is that relationship only with respect to the motor?

Is there a thread already on this?

Thanks for any help in advance!
VaOldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Technical question!

The ESC is only for the motor.
You'll need an ESC fitting to the motor, so a BL motor needs a BL ESC, while a brushed Motor needs a bushed ESC.
Although there are BL ESCs that can be set up to ignore the third wire and drive a brushed motor.

Whichever type ESC you have, it doesn't care at all what type of servo you have (or if any servo at all), the only thing you need to keep an eye on is the BEC voltage (Traxxas rx and servos need 6V, no less no more) and how much current the BEC can give: Brushless and/or higher torque servos tend to have a higher consumption so you need enough amps to drive them.
The often recommended Hobbywing 1080 has a 3A BEC and is on the lower end of the "works well" scale: it does work with most setups, but there are situations where you need even more. But that depends on your driving style, too.

BL servos are generally faster, louder and more power hungry than brushed, also they tend to have more speed and torque ("and" not "or"!).
I'd prefer BL servos any time, but that is personal taste, too.
amigaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:59 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Ok got it. I ordered the Traxxas BEC and their High Torque brushless servo but still have the stock ESC for now.

What motor / ESC combos do you like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

In my TRX's i have the stock motors, but replaced the ESC with the Hobbywing 1080.
The Summit is stock (at least ESC/motor wise), the Stampede has a Hobbywing Brushless system for Short Course, as does the Twin Hammers.

The 1080 has better BEC and a better motor handling, it just feels smoother. Also, it's silent if set up properly.
There's a reason the 1080 is the quasi standard for scale crawlers!
There are a bunch of better motors, but i replace them only when they break, and they don't ;)
amigaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:59 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaOldSchool View Post
Ok got it. I ordered the Traxxas BEC and their High Torque brushless servo but still have the stock ESC for now.

What motor / ESC combos do you like?

You should read this thread before you waste your money on the Traxxas BEC and servo.

Traxxas 2262 BEC
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:14 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Here's my view on things, Traxxas makes great rigs, electronics not so much, Holmes stuff all of it is top notch, Castle is great too. I've ran them all, I've also ran Hobbywing for years too, I've ran Hobbywing brushless set ups in my Slash 4x4 bashers and crawlers, the Hobbywing 1080 has been out a while now and for the money it can't be beat, you don't need a laptop to adjust settings, you don't have count flashing lights to program like a Traxxas and don't have to run a separate bec to run a decent servo. The Traxxas stuff will give out when you least expect it to, it's happened enough to me that I don't even bother running them long anymore. I've never had a Hobbywing failure with the older stuff or the newer stuff I'm running. The Holmes and Castle products are great, but when I'm out on the trail and want to change a setting I can with the included programming box I don't need to wait til I get home amd hook it up to a windows computer. For around $40.

Edit
I will add that if I was comping my rig seriously it would have a Holmes Brxl just because it can handle more than a 3 cell and I could run a super servo with a bec but for what I'm doing trail running, hill climbing, creeping down hills, and some rock crawling the 1080 is the one for me. I have a brand new Holmes Brxl on the shelf if I ever need it though.

Last edited by kincer; 11-28-2018 at 06:29 AM.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:47 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
You should read this thread before you waste your money on the Traxxas BEC and servo.

Traxxas 2262 BEC

Read it ... good info.

Have you seen this video and the comments:

https://youtu.be/Ma7AMKZUkwY

A guy in the comments posted some info about issues with the Hobbywing ESC and swears by Holmes and Castle. There’s so many “views” it’s hard to know which is best so I guess I decided to just pick one and try it lol. So I opted to try Traxxas’ way first...hoping for support if needed from them. If not then I think I’ll go Holmes next...I really like his videos but have yet to experience his products since my history is in the Baja arena. I also am trying to decide on a second rig to try more aftermarket stuff on.

Awesome stuff Kincer ... thanks for the insight. I am obviously a level or 3 behind you lol...I think I’ll get a Hobbywing and keep it on the shelf for if I ever need it!

I am going to do some studying of the Holmes and Castle! They both sound like intriguing “next level” stuff. I hope to stay in the crawler arena a long time.

I am learning a new genre but I remember back when I was made fun of for ordering a Revo pre-release. Man I loved that truck, but I do NOT miss the nitro world...or bashing for that matter. (Though I must admit the eRevo looks awesome as well as the eMaxx lol). Just no longer interested in the speed.

Last edited by THX_138; 11-28-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaOldSchool View Post
Read it ... good info.

Have you seen this video and the comments:

https://youtu.be/Ma7AMKZUkwY

I actually have seen that video and in fact I have installed the 2262 BEC in one of my TRX4s which is why I say don't waste your money on it. It is a pretty easy install but I much prefer the performance of the HW1080 over the XL5 ESC. I also have a Mamba X in my #1 TRX4 but that ESC is in a completely different class.

Last edited by Inspector86; 11-28-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:59 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Lol it's funny I don't have any go fast stuff anymore and don't really miss it. I did have a crazy fast Emaxx that ran on 2 3 cell lipos that I built from a bunch of parts, it was so fast the tires would turn into pizza cutters lol. Now that I'm older I like the challenge of trail running and getting out in the woods.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:02 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Awesome stuff Kincer ... thanks for the insight. I am obviously a level or 3 behind you lol...I think I’ll get a Hobbywing and keep it on the shelf for if I ever need it!

I am going to do some studying of the Holmes and Castle! They both sound like intriguing “next level” stuff. I hope to stay in the crawler arena a long time.

I am learning a new genre but I remember back when I was made fun of for ordering a Revo pre-release. Man I loved that truck, but I do NOT miss the nitro world...or bashing for that matter. (Though I must admit the eRevo looks awesome as well as the eMaxx lol). Just no longer interested in the speed.

Not making fun in any way lol just hate to see people spend too much money on stuff that they may not really need. This is my second time around in the crawler world and the first time around I went nuts buying stuff I didn't need lol

Last edited by kincer; 11-28-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Talking Re: Technical question!

I am fairly new to the RC world. So I don't know about all the high dollar parts. I'm a crawler on a tight budget. I have researched for hours about every upgrade I have done to my Trx-4. The 1080 is by far the best budget ESC out there. Yea your gonna get some guys saying bad stuff about them, but your gonna get that with every thing that comes out. Most of those guys just like to complain about something. I have the 1080 on my trx and I'm buying one for the family dingo as well. I love it! I run it on 6v with my $20 power hd 20k servo and have had no issues. It has every option you could want for a brushed ESC without paying a crazy price for it. Just my .02
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote

Technical question! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
newbie technical question,can someone help? crawler_fuzz Axial SCX-10 4 10-02-2011 09:32 PM
technical question camobob Chit Chat 6 07-01-2011 10:16 AM
6x6 Scale Tire Technical Question Blazefighter Tires and Wheels 8 06-03-2011 05:28 AM
Technical question Fishmaxx Electronics 22 05-30-2006 11:19 PM