Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Bec on Momba/ cut red/orange wire?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2018, 11:24 PM   #1

Default Bec on Momba/ cut red/orange wire?

im swapping out factory 35t axial out of my rr10 bomber,putting in mamba already have bec, had middle, (red wire cut) from esc to receiver, im assuming the same middle wire on new esc even tho its orange and esc has aux wire. all castle goodness, thought id ask before pluging in a batt, thanks lookimg forward to some 4s fun
Snakeob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2018, 11:28 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Bec on Momba/ cut red/orange wire?

Mamba X? No need to cut (or unplug) any wire, as the X can handle just about any servo with its internal BEC. What servo you running? Just double check ESC settings on Castlelink and select appropriate output for your servo.

Hope that helps
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:39 PM   #3

found info, sorry for posting before i looked more thorough

savox sa1231 sg, will plug that back in... still messing with this, all is good just trying to make servo shut off w switch too. it was on main batt before but car had no switch so no issue, now with switch off servo still powered, tried putting red from bec to red on switch but have new radio glitch code, so gonna plug in that one and see what i got.

yep that worked, leave that plugged in, move red from bec to red on switch, all turns on with switch.

oohhh wait... bec wayy hot just sitting for 2 min or less here w switch off? move black bec wire to switch also or put back on batt and just cant switch off servo?

Last edited by THX_138; 02-02-2019 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Merge, posts minutes apart
Old 01-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Even with the switch turned off the electronics will still draw the batteries down and without a low voltage cutoff it will ruin them.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #5

im just going to take the switch out and put bec back on batt, simple no worries that way, hope i didnt smoke my bec already.....

New mamba is BAD, even on same 3s, huge difference, cant wait for my 4s to get here. i think i got lucky with my bec, all seems good.

Last edited by THX_138; 02-02-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:57 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Instead of cutting the center wire on the ESC, I would get a short servo extension cable and cut the red wire on that. It makes it easier to Castle Link and it makes it easier to revert the change if plans change down the road. If you put the ESC in a different truck and don't run an external BEC, or if the BEC dies on the trail, you can easily switch back to the integrated BEC without much issue.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
Instead of cutting the center wire on the ESC, I would get a short servo extension cable and cut the red wire on that. It makes it easier to Castle Link and it makes it easier to revert the change if plans change down the road. If you put the ESC in a different truck and don't run an external BEC, or if the BEC dies on the trail, you can easily switch back to the integrated BEC without much issue.
I never liked the idea of cutting the wire, best way is just using a servo extension in case esc had to go back for repairs.
felixperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:58 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I never cut servo wires anymore, I just carefully pull the "red wire" out of the plug, and heatshrink it to the other wires.
That way I can always use it later, or sell it down the road.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:55 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I'm confused, Savox rates the 1231sg at 6v max so I don't know why you would want to run it off a battery or BEC in the first place. Just plug the Mamba-X into ch2 on the RX and get a 6" servo cable extension and plug the 1231sg into ch1. Set ESC output for 6v and you're done.

Last edited by Inspector86; 01-02-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I'm confused, Savox rates the 1231sg at 6v max so I don't know why you would want to run it off a battery or BEC in the first place. Just plug the Mamba-X into ch2 on the RX and get a 6" servo cable extension and plug the 1231sg into ch1. Set ESC output for 6v and you're done.
Yea I'm thinking either the OP doesn't understand what he's dealing with or isn't explaining things clearly at all. If hes running an external bec on a mamba x he's pissing up a rope against the wind.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:40 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

All I want to know is what the **** is a Momba?
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #12

So I had the Bec on the car before I got the Mamba, was running it red unplugged with factory axial motor and speed control, put it back in and now set Bec voltage with new data log stuff, ( where I only had servo voltage to set before), sounds like I could take Bec off now because it has one internally in speed control now?
Its still on the car now with new speed control and seems to be working great?
Old 01-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
All I want to know is what the **** is a Momba?

I have no idea what a "Momba" is. We have been talking about the Mamba-X which is arguably one of the best ESCs currently available to the RC crawler market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeob View Post
sounds like I could take Bec off now because it has one internally in speed control now?
Its still on the car now with new speed control and seems to be working great?

Exactly, you are just creating unnecessary complications and potential problems by keeping the BEC. Run everything off the ESC at 6v and your life will be simpler.

Last edited by THX_138; 02-02-2019 at 11:30 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:15 PM   #14

My bad Mamba x,. Didn't know I was pissing up a rope,
Maybe I didn't need Bec for servo, was highly recommended by this page when I did it ,but what ever, already had it.
Am I understanding correctly now as in new MAMBA X has internal Bec and I should take off the external one I had for the steering servo?

Thank you, makes sense,.

Last edited by THX_138; 02-02-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:32 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeob View Post
My bad Mamba x,. Didn't know I was pissing up a rope,
Maybe I didn't need Bec for servo, was highly recommended by this page when I did it ,but what ever, already had it.
Am I understanding correctly now as in new MAMBA X has internal Bec and I should take off the external one I had for the steering servo?

An external bec is required for pretty much every esc out there except a mamba x. It has a real solid built in bec.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:34 PM   #16

Default Re: Bec on Mamba/ cut red/orange wire?

what temp should that fan kick on at? should i expect to see it with 3s as well? or just 4s?I dont have more than 20 min run time on it right now, but both 3s, and 4s.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:16 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I've never had the fan on the X in my honcho come on with 4s but my bomber will kick it on in a couple minutes of hard running on 4s.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:24 PM   #18

thanks that helps. I just read a thread on the fan running momentarily on plug in? noticed mine doesn't do that, is there an option to turn that on or off in data link i may have missed ? sorry this thread is all over the board.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:34 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Unless you're thrashing on it I wouldn't worry about it. My bomber is heavy, round tall tires, is geared aggressively and runs a 3500xl motor and the fan only kicks on when I'm getting ignorant.

Bec on Momba/ cut red/orange wire? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wire was cut Meir Electronics 9 07-23-2017 04:31 PM
Sidewinder 3, What wire to cut after BEC install dannyboyjdc Newbie General 9 11-19-2016 12:50 AM
what wire to cut? nut_up_racing Electronics 15 01-01-2012 06:48 PM
cut the red wire on the mamba max madmax412 Electronics 3 03-21-2009 08:23 PM