Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Lipo battery hazard?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Lipo battery hazard?

Grabbed my Lipo batteries and one of the, has a cut on the end exposing some silver material inside. Is this battery hazardous now? Is it repairable? Anybody know if Traxxas will replace it if it’s not repairable?

TIA.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2021, 01:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Lipo battery hazard?

After further inspection, there is even more “peeling” going on. It’s also has a very slight puffed look to it. I’m emailing Traxxas.

Old 01-06-2021, 02:31 PM   #3

Scrap it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
JSPulliam21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:47 PM   #4
Gold Star Baby!

You won’t find many people suggesting you run a damaged lipo battery, while you may get away with it, it would not be recommended.
Not sure if Traxxas will warranty as it almost looks like the battery was dislodged at some point and took a skid but it’s worth a shot, those Traxxas batteries ain’t cheap.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:08 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
You won’t find many people suggesting you run a damaged lipo battery, while you may get away with it, it would not be recommended.
Not sure if Traxxas will warranty as it almost looks like the battery was dislodged at some point and took a skid but it’s worth a shot, those Traxxas batteries ain’t cheap.

Yeah, unfortunately I think that is what happened. I’m thinking about switching over to XT60 and sell my current charger and other battery while I’m at it. Now I wish I wouldn’t have cut the XT60 off my new ESC. decisions decisions.

Old 01-06-2021, 04:02 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Can’t get batteries shipped here. Doubt Traxxas will replace it. Need new battery. I’m in a big ol pickle. This really sucks.

Old 01-06-2021, 04:58 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

*Redneck quick fix alert coming in hot*

How dangerous would it be to wrap it up in electrical tape and run it? Lol, I know it’s not the best option, but to keep it closed off from the elements.

Old 01-06-2021, 05:21 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I have a 4 year old LiPo where the shrink wrap has a cut in it similiar to yours. Doesn't phase me one bit. That 1/2mm thick shrink-wrap does nothing more then hold the cells together, it's not a tinfoil hat so to speak.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:23 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
I have a 4 year old LiPo where the shrink wrap has a cut in it similiar to yours. Doesn't phase me one bit. That 1/2mm thick shrink-wrap does nothing more then hold the cells together, it's not a tinfoil hat so to speak.

That’s good to hear. If I had shrink wrap I would do that instead, but I’m just going to do electrical tape for now. Thanks for calming my nerves lol.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:01 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

To know if its an unhealthy battery you could keep an eye on whether it stays balanced while charging and discharging, you dont want a large discrepancy between cells. Some battery chargers have an internal resistance mode where they can check the IR, I forget the IR range thats considered healthy hopefully someone can chime in.

When my batteries puff they become suspect and I usually mark them, when they stop balancing like they should thats when I junk them.

Missing a bit of heat shrink isnt the end of the world though if this happened due to an impact I would probably consider ditching it.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:04 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
To know if its an unhealthy battery you could keep an eye on whether it stays balanced while charging and discharging, you dont want a large discrepancy between cells. Some battery chargers have an internal resistance mode where they can check the IR, I forget the IR range thats considered healthy hopefully someone can chime in.

When my batteries puff they become suspect and I usually mark them, when they stop balancing like they should thats when I junk them.

Missing a bit of heat shrink isnt the end of the world though if this happened due to an impact I would probably consider ditching it.

Can I do this with the Traxxas ID charger, or do I need a cell checker?

I honestly don’t know how/why this happened, but i am going make sure it’s a healthy battery and run it. I don’t know how long it’s been like this, but I’ve been having normal run times out of both batteries.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:49 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Can I do this with the Traxxas ID charger, or do I need a cell checker?

I honestly don’t know how/why this happened, but i am going make sure it’s a healthy battery and run it. I don’t know how long it’s been like this, but I’ve been having normal run times out of both batteries.

I'm not familiar with their chargers but looking at it I'm guessing its a no as there are just indicator LEDs it seems.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

if you charge it check the cells before and after use and make sure they are balanced! I agree with Topher I would probably not use it as I burned a new TRX4 Bronco with a Traxxas battery that was perforated that being said I have a 3s Traxxas lipo I taped up and has been going strong for a year now so just check those cells and make sure its not puffing on you that could be dangerous! LOL...
Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:36 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Have you asked other hobbyists like the guys at that comp meet up how they get batteries? Do they all run NiMH? Pretty sure someone has figured out a loophole by now. I’d keep an eye on that one but also put some effort into figuring out the supply side of things too so you don’t have to lose sleep over it.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:47 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Have you asked other hobbyists like the guys at that comp meet up how they get batteries? Do they all run NiMH? Pretty sure someone has figured out a loophole by now. I’d keep an eye on that one but also put some effort into figuring out the supply side of things too so you don’t have to lose sleep over it.

They order from a store on Oahu. They all run Lipos. Dunno how he can ship by plane, but I’m not complaining lol.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:49 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
They order from a store on Oahu. They all run Lipos. Dunno how he can ship by plane, but I’m not complaining lol.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:53 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyman108 View Post
Hey Scale I have been sending all sorts of contraband to Maui for 20 years let me know and ill send you a couple Lipos tell me what you need and ill show you what I can send 2s or 3s?? Aloha

Thank you for the offer, but I don’t expect you to do that. I’m going to get a cell checker and make sure this battery is okay then run it.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:10 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thank you for the offer, but I don’t expect you to do that. I’m going to get a cell checker and make sure this battery is okay then run it.

Keep me posted Mahalos ����
Old 01-06-2021, 08:18 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyman108 View Post
No expectations I offered so here willing and able!
Keep me posted Mahalos í*¾í´í*¼í¿»

I think I have a local guy selling some Traxxas batteries. Thank you for the offer though!

Old 01-06-2021, 10:53 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Is your battery "loose" in the battery tray? If so, you might be able to 3D print your own "hard case" to cover the battery. I would go 4 layers which should be enough to hold it all together. If you have digital calipers, measure the thickest spot on the length, width, and height of the battery. I suggest the inside of the cover should be about 0.03" (0.75mm approx.) bigger than the measurements you got when you measured the battery. Hopefully that will slide on without being too tight. That's what hard case batteries are all about, take more tumbles and slides than soft cases. I would make it like a box with one end open where the wires and connectors come out.

The silver you see under the battery covering is the actual LiPo battery case, looks and feels a bit like tinfoil. It's been a while since I cut a LiPo apart and I can't remember if there is another covering similar to that sealing the individual cells. Holes in those is not good, all the smoke escapes with a nice display of flameage.

Last edited by nightcrawler48; 01-06-2021 at 10:57 PM.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lipo battery hazard? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bomber battery tray wont fit new Lipo battery rock1997 Axial RR10 Bomber 10 08-20-2016 10:36 AM
Lipo Fire Hazard Hunter711 Electronics 0 02-29-2012 06:31 AM
What Zippy Lipo battery fits a Crawler King? Or whats your favorite 2c lipo battery? phunkodelic HPI Wheely King 20 08-31-2009 01:35 PM
Best Charger for Lipo batteries, and best lipo battery phunkodelic Electronics 12 06-14-2009 10:58 AM