Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Possible Steering Issue w/ Wraith build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #1

Default Possible Steering Issue w/ Wraith build

Built a Wraith kit and use a Spectrum 4cn. radio/rec. with it.
My question is: When operating on a hard surface at top speed, front wheels "oscillate", but when on soft surfaces, wheels/tires track as should.
Played w/ Expo/steering trim, also AVC is switched "off".
Thanks to anyone that can give me a fix or explain.
O.G.
RC'n OLD GUY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2020, 10:23 PM   #2

Default Re: Possible Steering Issue w/ Wraith build

When you say oscillate, do you mean the tires spinning like they are out of balance?

If that's the case, make sure the foam is not all bunched up inside the tire.

There are ways of balancing the tires by placing pieces of tire balance clay on the inside of the rims. Not sure how well that method would work with the really heavy 2.2 crawler tires.

Make sure the tire is mounted evenly around the rim on both sides. You can also check how you mounted the hubs to the wheels, making sure they seated properly against the wheel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
bbeck006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeck006 View Post
When you say oscillate, do you mean the tires spinning like they are out of balance?

If that's the case, make sure the foam is not all bunched up inside the tire.

There are ways of balancing the tires by placing pieces of tire balance clay on the inside of the rims. Not sure how well that method would work with the really heavy 2.2 crawler tires.

Make sure the tire is mounted evenly around the rim on both sides. You can also check how you mounted the hubs to the wheels, making sure they seated properly against the wheel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sorry for the late response, much appreciated.
The tire/wheel comb. are balanced and I don't have a lot of time on them. My issue is, when I peg the throttle, the fronts, go side-to-side/left/right type of oscillation. I've messed with the trim/sensitivity in the Spektrum DX4C radio, to no avail.
Thanks for replying. O.G.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:18 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

This is just the nature of a fully locked 4 wheel drive. There are a few factors at play, the front axle shafts can only turn so far before they chatter (also natural). The other factor is the locked diffs cause some chatter as well because when turning the outside tires need to travel farther than the inside wheels but the locked diff wont allow it, this also explains why on grippy surfaces its worse than a loose surface because a loose surface allows for some slippage.

Another thing worth mentioning is that some will fixate on this and test it out with the truck on its roof, in this situation the wheels will chatter a ton. Try the same test with the rig on the ground and it will have much less chatter.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
This is just the nature of a fully locked 4 wheel drive. There are a few factors at play, the front axle shafts can only turn so far before they chatter (also natural). The other factor is the locked diffs cause some chatter as well because when turning the outside tires need to travel farther than the inside wheels but the locked diff wont allow it, this also explains why on grippy surfaces its worse than a loose surface because a loose surface allows for some slippage.

Another thing worth mentioning is that some will fixate on this and test it out with the truck on its roof, in this situation the wheels will chatter a ton. Try the same test with the rig on the ground and it will have much less chatter.
Just like a real 4x4, with locked diffs., would do. Makes sense. I will admit, that when the RC is on it's roof, the wheels/tires, run smoother, than when upright and accelerating on a hard surface. When operating the truck normally, it works just fine. Thanks for the reply.
Old Guy
Old 04-20-2020, 10:38 AM   #6

I have a Spektrum DX5C transmitter and an SR6100AT receiver. According to my manual, this sounds like wobble introduced by the AVC when steering gain is set to high. Lowering the gain should solve your problem. Also, turning off the AVC is not as simple as turning it off in the transmitter menu. To accomplish this, according to my manual, three quick presses on the receiver button immediately after power-on followed by a re-bind will disable the AVC. Not intuitive, but it works. YMMV and the process may be different for your set-up.
Richr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:18 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Also, turning off the AVC is not as simple as turning it off in the transmitter menu.
He's right. It takes more than just turning off AVC on the radio. The manual should tell you how it's done. There's also YouTube videos on how to turn off AVC.
dungeonracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Possible Steering Issue w/ Wraith build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith steering issue crawler2.2 Axial Wraith 20 07-26-2013 05:15 PM
Wraith steering servo issue wheeler chaos Axial Wraith 6 03-30-2012 03:16 AM
Axial Wraith steering linkage issue. Jew1028 Axial Wraith 3 02-27-2012 10:12 AM
New Build - Servo / Steering issue Slaughter Axial SCX-10 7 05-24-2011 06:23 PM