Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Noisey ESC & Motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Noisey ESC & Motor

I have a new Mamba X & Tekin Roc 412 3100kv motor in a newly built Vanquish VS4-10 Ultra. The running gear, axles, transmission are flawlessly smooth and have almost 0 resistance. I used the Vanquish grease on all internal gears.
For some reason, this is a noisy rig. The ESC & motor are loud. I have set & reset the gear mesh (loose, tight & in between). I expected this truck to be almost silent.
Is there any way to quiet down the noise?
chipgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2020, 11:16 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Noisey ESC & Motor

you say all the parts are quiet and smooth. but the motor is loud. is what youre hearing the motor or gears clicking and grinding?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
midwest_rippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:37 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

What I hear is the electronics. Everything else is smooth.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

electronics are generally going to make some noise. its just the nature of the beast

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
midwest_rippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:43 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I find this incredibly "strange". Not saying I don't believe...just that I find it 'difficult' to believe. I have a Losi Baja Rey, and I can tell you that, when stock, it was noisy...quite noisy, in fact. While I will admit, some of the nice what related to other parts, the stock motor was part of it.

In upgrading my BR, two components I swapped work the ESC & motor...for the Mamba X, and ROC412 HD. I can tell you that, that change, alone, brought the noise level WAY down...as in, I'd estimate that at least 75% of the noise I'd previously heard was probably coming from the stock motor, and 90-95% of that noise was GONE work the ROC412 HD.

If you're hearing electronics 'noise', I'd highly recommend checking your servo, as that's the higher probably. Unplug your service from your receiver, then connect the battery, torn in your transmitter, and then the vehicle, and see if you're still hearing the noise. If not, it's the servo...and, if so, then move onto other components. It could be the transmission gears, it could be the differential gears (front, center (if your vehicle has), or rear), it could be your front and/or rear driveshaft(s). In other words, there's any number of possibilities that it could be...but, having the Mamba X & ROC412 HD, and knowing how quiet they are, again, I find it 'difficult' to believe they are the cause of your "noise".

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:50 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Nope, not the other stuff. I have narrowed it down to the esc motor combo. I have a bomber with the mamba x & puller pro 2700kv that's not nearly as loud. This is electronic wine from the esc made audible by the motor. Part of me wants to wrap the motor in dynamat but, heat may be an issue.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:06 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgibbs View Post
Nope, not the other stuff. I have narrowed it down to the esc motor combo. I have a bomber with the mamba x & puller pro 2700kv that's not nearly as loud. This is electronic wine from the esc made audible by the motor. Part of me wants to wrap the motor in dynamat but, heat may be an issue.
If you're getting an electronic "whine" from the ESC, them there might be a problem work the ESC. I have a few of them, on 4 different vehicles, and NONE of them have any sound out of the norm. They are paired with ROC412 HD, Castle Slate, & two different HH PP. I'd call Castle, and run it by them...if you're getting sick a loud & noticable 'whine' from the ESC, it might be defective.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #8

ESCs should not produce a loud whine, or virtually any noise at all. What you are almost certainly hearing is the motor "whining" in response to the ESC's constant adjustments.

But different ESCs may cause motors to produce different noise volume and characteristics, though, due to the ESC's differing timing, etc.

And different motors, e.g. out-runners vs. in-runners, may easily sound different even on the same ESC.
Zondar is offline   Reply With Quote

Noisey ESC & Motor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LNC noisey motor therockfrog Team Losi Comp Crawler 6 04-28-2010 06:35 PM
lathe motor noisey when running backwards, normal? newth Electronics 2 11-17-2005 09:13 AM