Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Torquemaster or Crawlmaster for Gatekeeper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Torquemaster or Crawlmaster for Gatekeeper?

Not seeing all that many build threads yet (yes I have searched) and even less people running brushed.
I already have a brand new ESC sat here and just spent out quite a bit on my new Power Wagon, but just got stock notification of the Gatekeeper so I am very tempted.
Wondering if the Torquemaster Expert 27t on 3s will be enough? Or is Crawlmaster Pro 13t on 3s going to be absolutely necessary?
Don't want to burn it out, not that Holmes burn out easily, but just asking before making the purchase.

Last edited by Oh How Original; 11-17-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Torquemaster or Crawlmaster for Gatekeeper?

I'm running a Torquemaster Expert 21t in my TRX-4, mostly on 3s, and I LOVE it! I use a 8t pinion and the low-end is fantastic. It creeps like a sloth and will flip in a second if you hang up a rear wheel. The top speed is faster than my buddy's TRX with a Trailmaster Sport 21t and 9t pinion. Mine runs a Hobbywing 1080 and the Torquemaster is smooth as silk from zero to top speed. Not sure what you're after in performance, but the Torquemaster gets my recommend.

jim
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The gearing and driving style is more critical to burning out a motor then is the motor you choose IMO.
Basically when deciding torquemaster vs crawlmaster you are trading torque for smoothness.
when deciding expert vs pro you are trading money for power.

more torque and possibly power (power can be either torque or speed) helps to keep your motor from stalling,
stalling is turning electricity into heat instead of movement.
reducing your pinion size trades speed for torque

Your always trading something for something, just depends on what you want.
This is why there will never and I mean NEVER, be a best motor!

That being said, Holmes Hobbies Revolver is the best motor
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:25 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
I'm running a Torquemaster Expert 21t in my TRX-4, mostly on 3s, and I LOVE it! I use a 8t pinion and the low-end is fantastic. It creeps like a sloth and will flip in a second if you hang up a rear wheel. The top speed is faster than my buddy's TRX with a Trailmaster Sport 21t and 9t pinion. Mine runs a Hobbywing 1080 and the Torquemaster is smooth as silk from zero to top speed. Not sure what you're after in performance, but the Torquemaster gets my recommend.

jim
Thanks for the reply, that sounds ideal, I think I will be getting some pretty tall tyres for the Gatekeeper and need something torquey, I think the Crawlmaster would be more suited to my Capra for ultimate smooth low end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
The gearing and driving style is more critical to burning out a motor then is the motor you choose IMO.
Basically when deciding torquemaster vs crawlmaster you are trading torque for smoothness.
when deciding expert vs pro you are trading money for power.

more torque and possibly power (power can be either torque or speed) helps to keep your motor from stalling,
stalling is turning electricity into heat instead of movement.
reducing your pinion size trades speed for torque

Your always trading something for something, just depends on what you want.
This is why there will never and I mean NEVER, be a best motor!

That being said, Holmes Hobbies Revolver is the best motor
Thanks for the reply and the quick explanation of what you trade for what, I will keep that in mind.
I think the Torquemaster will do the job just fine, the prices are a lot higher for us in the UK than you guys across the pond too lol, so that is also in mind since I just bought four trucks to build.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote

Torquemaster or Crawlmaster for Gatekeeper? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HH Crawlmaster or Torquemaster for SCX10? Road1will Axial SCX-10 11 01-25-2014 09:38 AM
Torquemaster expert 13t vs crawlmaster pro 13 vs torquemaster pro 27t cooperDG123 Electronics 6 05-08-2013 12:30 PM
crawlmaster or torquemaster MikeW Axial XR10 60 02-26-2013 08:32 AM
HH motors - Crawlmaster / Torquemaster differences 2-shot Newbie General 6 01-15-2013 09:11 AM
HH Crawlmaster vs Torquemaster vs Cobalt Puller PowerCrazy Electronics 1 06-16-2011 10:35 AM