Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Radio with 3 position channel mixing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2021, 09:26 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Radio with 3 position channel mixing?

I just installed 4WS on my Capra and currently have the front wheels controlled by Ch1 (wheel) and the rear wheels controlled by Ch3, which is a knob. It can get a little confusing while crawling, so I want to be able to mix both channels into just Ch1 to control everything with the wheel.

Is there a radio that would allow me to mix a 3 position switch with Ch1? For example, Ch 6 on my radio is a 3 position switch, and what I'd like to do is have one position on the switch be front wheel steer only, second position be 4WS and 3rd position be crab steer. My RC6GS only allows me to mix one direction, and changing it to other modes would require me to go through the sub menus to either reverse the channel or turn off mixing, which isn't really feasible while crawling.

A quick Google search isn't really turning up results (short of an airplane radio) so thought I'd ask here. Thanks!
Raguvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2021, 10:32 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Radio with 3 position channel mixing?

What radio are you using now?

I know the DX5 series and higher-end Futaba radios have mix functions for 4-wheel steering that allows for different steering modes that allow for on-the-fly mode/mix changes with an aux button.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:48 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
What radio are you using now?

I know the DX5 series and higher-end Futaba radios have mix functions for 4-wheel steering that allows for different steering modes that allow for on-the-fly mode/mix changes with an aux button.
I've got a Radiolink RC6GS. It looks like the DX5 series radios have the exact setup I'm looking for! The only issue is the RC6GS has other features like battery voltage, which the DX5 doesn't have unless you use a Spektrum ESC it looks like. The RC6GS allows you to plug in a JST connector from the battery to the receiver to get battery voltage info on the transmitter, which is nice.

I'll look into Futaba as well. The only thing really stopping me from Spektrum and Futaba otherwise are the crazy cost of receivers, though I guess you have to pay for the features you want.

Thanks for the information!
Old 01-18-2021, 11:03 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Sorry for the double post but looks like the Flysky Noble NB4 also has crawler mode with assignable buttons to control steering types. It's still more expensive to buy receivers than the Radiolink ($40 vs $20) but it's much cheaper than Spektrum/Futaba.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:52 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Please have a look at this part. Maybe it will help!
4 Wheel Steering Controller
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:39 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
Please have a look at this part. Maybe it will help!
4 Wheel Steering Controller
Awesome! I will send you a PM with some questions if that's oK.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:52 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
I've got a Radiolink RC6GS.
Thanks for the information!
It looks like the RC6GS does exactly what you want.
So before you go down the path of changing your radio you may want to look a little deeper into the settings on your own controller. It could simply be that you need a different Radiolink receiver.

I use a Flysky GT5 which has it. So I can’t say exactly how this works. But the RC6GS is usually compared pretty directly with the GT5 as they have similar features.

https://youtu.be/cSCNG8XAjzQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AC49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:14 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC49 View Post
It looks like the RC6GS does exactly what you want.
So before you go down the path of changing your radio you may want to look a little deeper into the settings on your own controller. It could simply be that you need a different Radiolink receiver.

I use a Flysky GT5 which has it. So I can’t say exactly how this works. But the RC6GS is usually compared pretty directly with the GT5 as they have similar features.

https://youtu.be/cSCNG8XAjzQ

Thanks for the link. I saw that video already and tried it out, but there's no way to change modes from regular 2WS, 4WS and crab. In that video he only sets it up as 4WS and never changes it, which works as a monster truck but not so much as a crawler.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I saw that video already and tried it out, but there's no way to change modes from regular 2WS, 4WS and crab. In that video he only sets it up as 4WS and never changes it, which works as a monster truck but not so much as a crawler.

Can’t you just reverse the channel that you’re using for your rear steer?
(Setting #12)

I know I’m grabbing at straws here.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:54 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Can’t you just reverse the channel that you’re using for your rear steer?
(Setting #12)

I know I’m grabbing at straws here.

I can, but if I want to change modes on the fly, I'd have to go into the mix menu every time and turn it off to get 2WS back, or keep reversing whichever channel I'm using for the rear steer to switch between crab and 4WS.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:12 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I can, but if I want to change modes on the fly, I'd have to go into the mix menu every time and turn it off to get 2WS back, or keep reversing whichever channel I'm using for the rear steer to switch between crab and 4WS.

Ahhh yes I see. It really lacks the ability to program a button.

I guess in fairness my GT5 does too. I need to go into the menu and set crawl mode to be 2, 4 or crab.

I can see how that could be annoying in a tight spot.

That’s a shame. That radiolink remote looks quite good feature wise other than that.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:01 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ahhh yes I see. It really lacks the ability to program a button.

I guess in fairness my GT5 does too. I need to go into the menu and set crawl mode to be 2, 4 or crab.

I can see how that could be annoying in a tight spot.

That’s a shame. That radiolink remote looks quite good feature wise other than that.

Yep, for $80 I can't really fault it at all. It has great range and the receivers are only $20 (and the receivers come with an XT60 adapter that allows you to get the battery telemetry!).
Old 12-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I just installed 4WS on my Capra and currently have the front wheels controlled by Ch1 (wheel) and the rear wheels controlled by Ch3, which is a knob. It can get a little confusing while crawling, so I want to be able to mix both channels into just Ch1 to control everything with the wheel.

Is there a radio that would allow me to mix a 3 position switch with Ch1? For example, Ch 6 on my radio is a 3 position switch, and what I'd like to do is have one position on the switch be front wheel steer only, second position be 4WS and 3rd position be crab steer. My RC6GS only allows me to mix one direction, and changing it to other modes would require me to go through the sub menus to either reverse the channel or turn off mixing, which isn't really feasible while crawling.

A quick Google search isn't really turning up results (short of an airplane radio) so thought I'd ask here. Thanks!
i have a question about this radio. does it have a 3 way switch that self centers - returns to middle? i would like to use my RWS on that switch. i would like to use RWS without having to use a certain mode - crab, front , rear, etc.
Hondarider94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 11:01 AM   #14
I joined the Band!

I know this is an old thread but I am loving this tx!!!!
I have the front 3 way switch setup to yellow wire of my hobbywing 1080 g2....
Left no drag brake, middle is like 90% as i didnt set it and to the right.. let off throttle and mak drag brake is locked! wow.
I too am trying to figure this out. I want the other 3 way to do the same... left front, middle 4ws, right crab...

more to come.
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Radio with 3 position channel mixing? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winch Controller for Radio with 2 Position Third Channel heyok Vendors Electronics 121 05-19-2020 03:08 PM
radio with 3 position 3rd channel? rjmurphy24 Newbie General 15 10-11-2018 04:15 PM
Anyone know of a JR radio with 3 position 3rd channel? Jeepial Electronics 6 05-10-2009 11:06 PM