Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: LIPO storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2021, 01:06 PM   #1

Default LIPO storage

I have a charger only, it does not provide a trickle/tender function. With that being said (geez i hate that expression), should I charge fully before storing until the next ride or simply storing as is.
Basement16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2021, 01:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: LIPO storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement16 View Post
I have a charger only, it does not provide a trickle/tender function. With that being said (geez i hate that expression), should I charge fully before storing until the next ride or simply storing as is.
It depends on when your next run is. If my batteries are going to sit for any longer than a few days, I storage charge them. If you were to run tomorrow, then fully charge them so you are ready. But if you don't plan on using them for any longer than a few days, leave them be. Fully charged lipos that just sit around is a great way to kill batteries. If you happen to have a cell checker, check them and charge them until they are at a 'storage level'.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:14 PM   #3

Thank You
Basement16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:46 PM   #4
RCC Addict

But you absolutely should invest in a proper lipo charger with a storage function. There are many available and even some of the good ones are inexpensive enough to be able to justify the purchase. Plenty of reputable ones have been discussed in some of the electronic/ battery tech threads here on RCC. If you're going to maintain the safety and effectiveness of even just a couple lipo batteries, get a charger that has the proper functions to be able to preserve the integrity of them.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:00 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Default LIPO storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
But you absolutely should invest in a proper lipo charger with a storage function. There are many available and even some of the good ones are inexpensive enough to be able to justify the purchase. Plenty of reputable ones have been discussed in some of the electronic/ battery tech threads here on RCC. If you're going to maintain the safety and effectiveness of even just a couple lipo batteries, get a charger that has the proper functions to be able to preserve the integrity of them.

X2. Definitely worth it to get a good charger that has all the modes. I’ve heard the Protek chargers are good, but I’m sure there’s better. I’ve been using the Traxxas charger/batteries for just under a year. They have been great. Easy to use-even for me lol. but only if you plan to stick with Traxxas batteries forever.

I would recommend looking at the Protek chargers. They use bullet plugs so it’s super easy to find banana plugs for them to charge all kinds of batteries and have all the features that I personally would need/want. Pretty inexpensive too, single charger is $60 and dual charger is $109 if memory serves right.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:09 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement16 View Post

What charger do you have?

Trickle/tender charging lipos is not a thing. They should be stored at a storage charge which will depend on how many cells. I balance charge mine before use, storage charge after use. Pretty simple but as mentioned you need a charger that does all 4 phases (charge, discharge, storage, balance charge). I maintain 4 batteries, 2 different sizes, with a very basic single charger and it’s pretty easy compared to my camera gear (8 batteries, lap top, 3 flashes, usb power source for external monitor...that’s a lot to keep up with compared to a few RC batteries). I use an Imax B6 charger, about as cheap as I could find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:21 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I'm using a Protek 610ez and it's a good, inexpensive charger.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...k-8522/p696353
Make sure you're following all precautions when charging LiPos.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Screwfly is offline   Reply With Quote

LIPO storage - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lipo storage bigred22 General Crawlers 7 02-18-2013 11:20 AM
Lipo storage natskiboy Electronics 1 11-25-2012 07:48 PM
Lipo storage Jus Electronics 4 03-11-2011 12:13 PM
lipo storage? DannyDodge Electronics 7 01-04-2011 09:09 AM
storage charge a lipo kmrunner Newbie General 5 01-25-2010 05:07 PM