Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Reliable ESC and motor for crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2024, 10:45 AM   #1

Default Reliable ESC and motor for crawler

Guys, please, help
We went for a walk with the crawlers with my son, arround 10 km path deep in the mountain, but it was so muddy and arround 6-7 km both the esc and motor of my son`s rig fried and the magic smoke came out - traxxas esc and 21t motor. My esc died 1 km after his. My son was very tired and i had to carry him and the 2 trucks back.
Please, tell me some esc and motor (price is not a problem) that are reliable for such a distance, cause it was terrible. I don`t know if the mud and rainy weather are the reason for the fried electronic but.....
bubblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2024, 12:11 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Reliable ESC and motor for crawler

i can vouch for the holmes hobbies torquemaster BRXL, ive been using mine for over 10 years and you can order it waterproof brushed motors are pretty reliable but they do wear, i usually run a rebuild able 35t amazon special and carry a spare
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner View Post
i can vouch for the holmes hobbies torquemaster BRXL, ive been using mine for over 10 years and you can order it waterproof brushed motors are pretty reliable but they do wear, i usually run a rebuild able 35t amazon special and carry a spare
So its a good ESC? I know that everything happens but i want to put to minimum of risk carrying again a child and 2 rigs
Old 02-12-2024, 01:00 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

There are lots of good options.

I actually like Traxxas' XL-5, I have never had one fail. Their big failing is their piddly BEC, which has no protection on it, so if it gets overloaded, it can/will fry the ESC. In which case, in most cases, to make the XL-5 really reliable, you need an external BEC.

My go-to aftermarket brushed ESC is the Hobbywing Quicrun 1080, they are very easy to set up and very reliable.

There are lots to choose from here.
Integy Motor: This is one of the very few products my this company that is worth anything. They are very inexpensive, and they last.

Holmes Hobbies: I have had a few of these and they have all failed me in short order. I wish I could say better things about his products, and likely my experience with these motors might just be bad luck.

Traxxas Motors: The stock motor really is not bad at all. It works.

One BIG thing about motors, the dirtier you run, the more you have to clean. These rigs are waterproof, but they are not maintenance-proof. Running a motor in mud/snow/sand/water shortens its life span no matter what. If you clean them properly after you are done for the day, you will extend their life greatly.
Proper cleaning:
• Remove the motor
• Blow out with compressed air (~30psi/2bar)
• Spray electric motor cleaner through the motor until the cleaner runs clear (spray on one direction, then the other)
• Blow out with air
• Let it dry over night
• Put a drop of light oil (bicycle chain oil or 3-In-1) on each bushing/bearing. Spin the motor by hand to work it in.
• Reinstall the motor.
• Check motor temps for the first half-pack or so to make sure everything is happy ( <160*/f, 71*/C)
• If all is good, drive it like you rented it.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 01:13 PM   #5

Well very detailing thanks
do you think the problem with the escs was the internal BEC?
What if i`ve used external bec?
Old 02-12-2024, 01:20 PM   #6

Get a HobbyWing 1080 and use it with that Traxxas 21T motor and you should be good to go for a long time. Brushed motors won't last as long with muddy conditions, but you can always service them. Going to full brushless is another option, but I don't think you really need to at this point.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 01:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Get a HobbyWing 1080 and use it with that Traxxas 21T motor and you should be good to go for a long time. Brushed motors won't last as long with muddy conditions, but you can always service them. Going to full brushless is another option, but I don't think you really need to at this point.
If i go full brushless maybe motor with lower KV?
And one more thing - what about the AXE FOC combos?
Old 02-12-2024, 02:15 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I'm surprised your traxxass electronics lasted that long lol
really once you upgrade you will kick your self for waiting so long to upgrade
brushed motors have a tendency to stall out in the mud they get crap stuck in the brushes and stop working till you clean them out usually wiggling the tires forwords and back frees them up again but they will still need cleaning but should get you through the trail
look at the hobby wing 2 in 1 setups there sealed and simple the fusion se or what ever they call the cheaper version seems to be a great deal
I don't have one my self but these guys on here seem to think there the next "sliced bread"
1800kv is pretty good range I like 2200kv but I wouldn't pay twice as much for the extra kv
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 06:05 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblebee View Post
Guys, please, help
We went for a walk with the crawlers with my son, arround 10 km path deep in the mountain, but it was so muddy and arround 6-7 km both the esc and motor of my son`s rig fried and the magic smoke came out - traxxas esc and 21t motor. My esc died 1 km after his. My son was very tired and i had to carry him and the 2 trucks back.
Please, tell me some esc and motor (price is not a problem) that are reliable for such a distance, cause it was terrible. I don`t know if the mud and rainy weather are the reason for the fried electronic but.....
Hobbywing AXE V2 systems. Reason I say this is the ESC and Motor are WaterProof. Sensor wire has a locking sealed connection so it also stays free of water. they run around 240 each after ESC and Motor. I have 2 version 1s for 3 plus years an no issues with any of them.

imo, they are beasty workhorses. and they have excellent control for law wheel speed and plenty fast for full speed trailing if you're fast walking/jogging.

However the Hobbywing 1080s others mention are great brushed crawler ESCs if you dont want to go brushless.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 07:10 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
Hobbywing AXE V2 systems. Reason I say this is the ESC and Motor are WaterProof. Sensor wire has a locking sealed connection so it also stays free of water. they run around 240 each after ESC and Motor. I have 2 version 1s for 3 plus years an no issues with any of them.

imo, they are beasty workhorses. and they have excellent control for law wheel speed and plenty fast for full speed trailing if you're fast walking/jogging.

However the Hobbywing 1080s others mention are great brushed crawler ESCs if you dont want to go brushless.
While the HW AXE systems seem pricey, I can absolutely agree. They are unbelievable work horses. I've had a 1800kv combo for 4 years now, and not once had an issue with it.
diezel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:46 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Well very detailing thanks
do you think the problem with the escs was the internal BEC?
What if i`ve used external bec?
Likely. Quickly turning your wheels, muddy conditions, young drivers, etc will put a large load on the servo and draw higher than normal amps. Things like this always happen deep in a trail, the kids being carried out are the kicker.
hnoroian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:33 AM   #12

Quote:
If i go full brushless maybe motor with lower KV?
And one more thing - what about the AXE FOC combos?
You could also go Fusion 2-in-1 rather than an AXE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
I'm surprised your traxxass electronics lasted that long lol
I see so many people say this and I've never blown a single Traxxas ESC or Motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post

Why not skip the AXE and go right to the Fusion 2-in-1?
Old 02-13-2024, 08:45 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

I see so many people say this and I've never blown a single Traxxas ESC or Motor.

I've had brand new escs go up in smoke at first plug in and it's happened more than once

I have a pile of old dead traxxass electronics
I have built a rig for a guy who insisted on running a traxxass esc and servo they have been fine I won't even plug the damb thing in but works fine for him
Old 02-13-2024, 08:54 AM   #14

Quote:
I've had brand new escs go up in smoke at first plug in and it's happened more than once

I have a pile of old dead traxxass electronics
I have built a rig for a guy who insisted on running a traxxass esc and servo they have been fine I won't even plug the damb thing in but works fine for him

Sounds like Amazon for me. People drool over and swear by that site. 90% of orders I get from them are wrong or damaged. Even my girlfriend, who is a Prime Member, says I’m cursed because she’s ordered me some things from scAmazon Prime and they too have arrived damaged or incorrect. Eff Bezos the Bozo anyway.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:02 AM   #15

I have one more question - my wife`s summit need an upgrade too ... can i put 2 AXE systems on it? It`s heavy truck so ....
For my rig and my son`s i will give a try to the AXE FOC 1800 kv
Old 02-13-2024, 11:07 AM   #16

Quote:
I have one more question - my wife`s summit need an upgrade too ... can i put 2 AXE systems on it? It`s heavy truck so ....
It's all about watching the temperature of your motor. Get yourself and infrared thermometer and ensure it never goes over 170° F. If it does, that means you need to change gearing.

https://www.rccaraction.com/tech-center-hot-hot/
Old 02-14-2024, 10:03 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
1 550 axe system will outperform 2 brushed 21t traxxasssss motors

the fusion 2 in1 line would work good for the trx4 the axe would kinda be overkill In those rigs In my opinion
Old 02-14-2024, 01:36 PM   #18

Quote:
1 550 axe system will outperform 2 brushed 21t traxxasssss motors
Really? Hmm are they so powerfull?
Old 02-14-2024, 11:19 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
This may not be allowed here, but PM me if you're interested. I have a surplus Hobbywing AXE FOC 1800kv combo laying around.
diezel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 06:17 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Really? Hmm are they so powerfull?
They are. I have one of the original Axe 2300 (540 sized motor) in my Gmade GOM which is closer to 1/8 scale, has 2 speed and dig, and that motor has more than enough power. I believe the current models are all 550 sized motors, and someone can correct me if I’m incorrect, so they’re even more powerful.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote

Reliable ESC and motor for crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low Cost, Reliable Micro Brushed ESC? ajsmcs Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 13 10-14-2015 09:28 AM
Good, reliable, AE-2 compatible Brushed Motor?? Soulo747 Axial SCX-10 17 10-10-2012 12:59 PM
All I want for Christmas is a solid, reliable ESC & motor jwr Team Losi Comp Crawler 25 03-13-2011 03:41 PM