Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Element or scx10.2?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Element or scx10.2?

Ok I have been out of town for months. Still got a month to go. Not working on Saturdays now so need something to pass the time. Thought I would build a kit

Have an scx10 at home. Hate the steering radius and the punkin. Have an xr mod for steering but hate the width. I was going to just put scx10.2 axles in it and a cms but that’s like $160-170

The scx10.2 builders kit is $200. Seems to be the way to go

But this new element enduro is intriguing. I have seen one in action.
$240 for a kit
All my rock crawlers are axial. Not that it matters. I need you guys to talk me into the element

All my rigs are brushless and think I might go waterproof on a new rig. Probably a hobbywing 1080 and a Holmes motor. Don’t know what turn yet. Run a 25.5 brushless in scx10. Don’t know nothing about brushed crawling motors

It’s easy for me to pick the 10.2. I need reasons to pick the element
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #2

Default Re: Element or scx10.2?

1. Some of the nicest shocks to come with a kit.
2. It's new with better plastics than the sxc10.2
3. Kit comes with a nice set of links in three lengths
4. Very capable out of the box
5. Many interchangeable parts with the sc10.2 and txr4
6. It's not a scx10.2...just something different than the norm.

Upgrade options are on the way by many of the popular companies.

Those come to mind.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
rnagenetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #3

I can't provide much other information about the Element, but the Raw Builders Kit is 15% off right now in most stores. $170 for that is a great deal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Bertman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The Enduro is really a good chassis. I have the SCX2, the TRX, Gelande 2 and a Bomber and now also the Element.
I got the RTR Version cheap on a local seller platform and I really like it.
I drive it stock except the esc (changed to 1080) and it just works.
Made some sick climbs even though I added a cage in the back. I am just happy with it.

The overdrive in the gearbox is nice.
In the end. They are all good. I also like the Enduro, because not everyone drives one.
And it is the most quiet rig I have. I could not hear it besides all the other rigs.
GrimmTheTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #5

Completely forgot. The element has overdrive out of the box and the kit comes with the extra gear to push it to 11 percent overdrive.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I am leaning more toward the element

But now the traxxas sport is coming back. Gave up on it but for $40 more get a body and scale accessories I might have to put it on the list
Old 09-28-2019, 02:11 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I’ve got the element kit and the raw kit.
Element won hands down blindfolded.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:48 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Over at AMain Hobbies now. Going to get my hands on them and go from there
Old 09-28-2019, 05:17 PM   #9

TRX-4 or wait for the SCX10 3 that I'm wildly guessing will be here next year. And if that's the case it should hopefully be a clean sheet redesign from Horizon.

I have no experience with the Element or whatever the heck it's called I think it's just the flavor of the month. When the SCX10 3 rolls around I assume it's going to be Element who?

The Capra seems like it's going to be a smash hit just by the hype it has generated and the initial reviews.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:18 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman71 View Post
Over at AMain Hobbies now. Going to get my hands on them and go from there

Between the shocks and transmission no contest!

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-28-2019, 06:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
TRX-4 or wait for the SCX10 3 that I'm wildly guessing will be here next year. And if that's the case it should hopefully be a clean sheet redesign from Horizon.

I have no experience with the Element or whatever the heck it's called I think it's just the flavor of the month. When the SCX10 3 rolls around I assume it's going to be Element who?

The Capra seems like it's going to be a smash hit just by the hype it has generated and the initial reviews.
I would hope and it's a given the scx10.3 is going to be huge as long as it's a decent upgrade from the 2. Doesn't mean he can't get his cake and have his ice cream too You know what we all say, buy one now, and get the other later.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

This coming from a Venture Owner, Flavor of the month!

I’m really not sure how the mechanics of the SCX10II can be improved. The Axles, shocks, and trans all need help in the quality of materials. I’ve got both , so I guess I’m not buying into all the Capra hype and getting a new idea. I just hope you like the plastic on it. I also owe you a root beer I guess.

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-28-2019, 06:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
This coming from a Venture Owner, Flavor of the month!

I’m really not sure how the mechanics of the SCX10II can be improved. The Axles, shocks, and trans all need help in the quality of materials. I’ve got both , so I guess I’m not buying into all the Capra hype and getting a new idea. I just hope you like the plastic on it. I also owe you a root beer I guess.

Hang up and Drive

Yes, the Venture was a flavor of the month, sadly! Still a good truck just not great.

If the SCX10 II can’t be improved upon I’d be shocked. A better transmission, alone, would be a great improvement. The axles are damn good. Just need OD and UD options from Axial. The transmission is the only area where the Element seems to be a better truck than the SCX10 II without taking the quality of materials into account.

Box stock to box stock would you choose the Element or the SCX10 II for strictly performance?

People are already saying the Capra is higher quality which is another area where the SCX10 II could be greatly improved as you mentioned. Shocks are also said to be much better.

Initial reports say I will like the plastics and shocks, but TBD I guess.

I'm not a root beer snob. Almost any brand will do.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:22 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Element hands down. No discussion necessary.

It’s head and shoulders better than the SCX10II.

It’s easily equal to the TRX4 and in some environments, it’s better.

I crawl with a large number of TRX4s and have yet to be bettered by one of them.

The Enduro is still very new to the market while the TRX4 has been established for a good while.

The aftermarket for the Enduro is growing and will only make the Enduro better.

Meanwhile the TRX4 is pretty much reached maturity in the aftermarket arena.

As for the SCX10III.

We’ll just have to wait and see.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:07 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

OOB, Element by a large margin.
I’m gonna run the two tomorrow hopefully, But my raw kit has been upgraded largely, little stock left, with a lot of $$.
Motors are equal as one has a 13t on 2s, other a 16t on 3s, geared the same. What I’ve noticed already is the Elements OD is a game changer. Shocks? Well both are equal as I’m running dravtechs on it, the associated shocks are equal to my dravtechs. I’m curious to see what the third truck will do now, as It now has the VFD transmission with mild OD and mid mount battery.

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-28-2019, 09:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Element hands down. No discussion necessary.

It’s head and shoulders better than the SCX10II.

It’s easily equal to the TRX4 and in some environments, it’s better.

I crawl with a large number of TRX4s and have yet to be bettered by one of them.

The Enduro is still very new to the market while the TRX4 has been established for a good while.

The aftermarket for the Enduro is growing and will only make the Enduro better.

Meanwhile the TRX4 is pretty much reached maturity in the aftermarket arena.

As for the SCX10III.

We’ll just have to wait and see.

The Element should outcrawl a TRX-4 in most situations because it doesn't have the higher COG or portals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
OOB, Element by a large margin.
I’m gonna run the two tomorrow hopefully, But my raw kit has been upgraded largely, little stock left, with a lot of $$.
Motors are equal as one has a 13t on 2s, other a 16t on 3s, geared the same. What I’ve noticed already is the Elements OD is a game changer. Shocks? Well both are equal as I’m running dravtechs on it, the associated shocks are equal to my dravtechs. I’m curious to see what the third truck will do now, as It now has the VFD transmission with mild OD and mid mount battery.

Hang up and Drive

Element crawls better than an SCX10 II by a large margin? That's interesting. I've heard the opposite from others. I can't comment yet.

The OD trans is awesome.

I'm curious to see how you like the Origin with the VFD.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:55 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The Element should outcrawl a TRX-4 in most situations because it doesn't have the higher COG or portals.
In theory I would agree, but from what I’ve seen side by side, the Portals don't effect the CG of the TRX4 as much as we might think.

I don’t want to come off as TRX4 hater, as they’re great rigs.

IMO where the TRX4 shines in in loose rocky terrain where the additional clearance of the portals shine.

The Enduro shines in steep vertical climbs.

There are of course are other areas where they both have strengths and weaknesses, put those two areas stand out to me.

As for The SCX10II, stock they just can’t hold a candle to the Enduro.

A tuned and modded 10II might be s different story?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
In theory I would agree, but from what I’ve seen side by side, the Portals don't effect the CG of the TRX4 as much as we might think.

I don’t want to come off as TRX4 hater, as they’re great rigs.

IMO where the TRX4 shines in in loose rocky terrain where the additional clearance of the portals shine.

The Enduro shines in steep vertical climbs.

There are of course are other areas where they both have strengths and weaknesses, put those two areas stand out to me.

As for The SCX10II, stock they just can’t hold a candle to the Enduro.

A tuned and modded 10II might be s different story?

I would agree about the TRX-4 and its portals. Traxxas did a good job keeping the weight on the chassis very low.

That just blows me away that an SCX10 II, which is still considered the standard from what I've seen, gets spanked by the Enduro. Maybe I should take another look at that truck.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:07 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

My scx10 has been bullet proof. I have upgraded parts but I have never broke any parts. May have had a screw come loose over the years but that’s it. My only complaint is poor turning radius. I do have an xr mod but don’t like the extra width

How is the turning radius of the element?

I did spend a lot of time at the hobby shop looking. Not super impressed with the quality of the scx10.2. Links looked cheap, plastic looked cheap. The shocks are throw away. Don’t know if I like the battery location. The positive is my homemade bumpers and sliders should bolt right up. Even my trans and other parts

The trx4 is a stout rig. Everything looks good. The problem is there is a lot of everything. It got a lot of stuff. I do like the body and I do like the scale stuff. But it’s heavy. You do get a lot for the $$. I like the clearance of the portals. But that just makes more parts to break

The Element really was impressive. Everything had a quality feel. The plastics the links the shocks all looked great. All the complaints I had about the scx10.2 are fixed by the element
Old 09-28-2019, 10:14 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

The element has a pretty good turning radius due to the overdrive. Steering angle pretty good too.

Between the three... The element is my choice. I feel like it's more predictable for me.

I like the trx4, but I have trouble driving it the same way I drive my element. It probably needs some work to get it where I want, which I haven't really spent the time doing yet.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Last edited by soze; 09-28-2019 at 10:16 PM.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote

Element or scx10.2? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally in my Element? nosfanatic2006 Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 4 10-30-2019 05:17 AM
Element of Survival Hunter711 U4RC 0 05-08-2014 07:48 PM
New element discovered JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 8 05-24-2010 11:20 PM