Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Ring/Pinion issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2020, 07:12 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Ring/Pinion issues

Is anyone else having issues with the ring/pinion gears? I've been through a few sets in both the front and rear of my Enduro, both the standard gears as well as the "machined" ring gear. This past weekend I was playing around on sand/gravel and heard the all too familiar click from the front end, not even climbing or binding up. I've worked on shimming the spool, as well as the pinion. I've even gone as far as ordering a set of bronze bushings to replace the pinion bearings to limit deflection of the pinion.

If anyone knows what else I can do to keep from chunking gears would be much appreciated.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2020, 07:29 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Ring/Pinion issues

Burnouts on sand and gravel? I suspect the locker is causing that, a diff is better for bashing When turning hard the tires want different speeds, the locker prevents that, and you’re gonna destroy the ring gear

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:17 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Sorry for the confusion, I normally don't do burnouts, or even cycle between forward/reverse during my normal crawling. My normal spot has a lot of larger rocks that scale out pretty well. This weekend was the oddball due to being out camping with my family so I was forced to play on sand and gravel which made the issue even more perplexing. I've had issues with two sets of front gears and one set of rear gears at my normal crawling spot, figuring that some of the first ones could've been due to me not shimming the gears correctly etc...but after the third set, I have to be missing something.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:42 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Mine aren’t shimmed , zero issues.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:37 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Jeez, I hope I never see that problem. The reason I bought an enduro instead of another Axial is I thought the non-hypoid pumpkin contents would last longer than my 10ii, which needed shims, then took to slipping, and finally required SSD replacement parts.
I'm sorry if I made you worry! I truly feel like it's something I'm doing wrong. I've changed a bunch of parts on my Enduro and think it's something I've missed. I haven't taken it apart yet since last weekend but I inspected it tonight and noticed a lot of play in the pinion leading me to think the inner pinion bearing is shot.

Thanks again to everyone that has helped out.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Post up pics of the failed gearsets. We all like carnage pics, and they might have clues regarding root cause of failure. Are you putting in new bearings with your new ring/pinion gears? Do the pinion bearings still fit snugly in their bores in the plastic housing?

Running with loose bearings is a recipe for disaster since it becomes impossible to maintain proper mesh.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Ring/Pinion issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ring and pinion grandbolin Axial SCX-10 3 09-22-2017 11:55 AM
HR 27-8t OD Ring and Pinion dpcardoza Axial SCX10 II 0 08-15-2017 04:26 PM
Ring and Pinion PileDriver Axial Wraith 5 05-11-2014 09:01 AM
Helical ring and pinion gears sets with an offset pinion? Calderwood General Crawlers 6 09-14-2013 09:06 PM
ring and pinion luv2ridemx Axial Wraith 4 12-16-2011 11:02 AM