Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: My Trailrunner is shipped!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2020, 11:56 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My Trailrunner is shipped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
I'm still trying to figure out the interest in IFS for a rock crawler. Not trying to be negative, genuinely curious. Just my "1:1" observations creeping into the hobby. Seems like IFS gets torched off for solid axles more often than vice-versa due to the simplicity, articulation, and strength. IFS always seemed like a go fast thing to me. If I had to make up a reason it would be "because it is different". Interested in thoughts on it.

I don’t know about performance wise, but I think a big factor is for scale looks. You can throw one of these under a scale Chevy body for example and it’ll look great. Lonelycreeper is doing an F150 build, and he’s using the IFS for scale factor.

I think it’s really cool, and while it’s not as good of a performer as solid axles, it’s still cool to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2020, 12:34 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I don’t know about performance wise, but I think a big factor is for scale looks. You can throw one of these under a scale Chevy body for example and it’ll look great. Lonelycreeper is doing an F150 build, and he’s using the IFS for scale factor.

I think it’s really cool, and while it’s not as good of a performer as solid axles, it’s still cool to me.

Which Chevy body would you use? Would have to be an 07 up, everything before that used torsion bars. Would make more sense under a Toyota body.

Last edited by Phildirt; 12-09-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Which Chevy body would you use? Would have to be an 07 up, everything before that used torsion bars. Would make more sense under a Toyota body.
Proline has a Colorado ZR2.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:53 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Taking a rip through the interwebz - - seems to be a fairly common swap with a Toyota body, saw a handful of Fords but they were more of a pre-runner (what I'd use it for if I did it) and a couple of older Chevys (?!). My favorite thing about the Trailwalker is the front end (I like the CMS, the behind axle steering link, the differential design) - just my take but IFS on that particular rig wouldn't be as awesome as the straight axle. I could see it though on a pre-runner bug, yota, something like that. I guess after coming over from building scale models the whole uber scale thing just doesn't excite me, seems like its emphasizing form over function (see TF2). Granted I've never owned any of the rigs I'm fussing about lol. And don't get me wrong, that kit is well designed, looks great. It would just have to be under the right rig for the right reason and imo rock crawling just aint it
Old 12-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I don’t know of any good looking Chevy bodies that year or newer, but I was sort of thinking hardbody since you can print and even designs your own. Yes I know not everyone has that ability but if you do it would make a really scale rig.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Taking a rip through the interwebz - - seems to be a fairly common swap with a Toyota body, saw a handful of Fords but they were more of a pre-runner (what I'd use it for if I did it) and a couple of older Chevys (?!). My favorite thing about the Trailwalker is the front end (I like the CMS, the behind axle steering link, the differential design) - just my take but IFS on that particular rig wouldn't be as awesome as the straight axle. I could see it though on a pre-runner bug, yota, something like that. I guess after coming over from building scale models the whole uber scale thing just doesn't excite me, seems like its emphasizing form over function (see TF2). Granted I've never owned any of the rigs I'm fussing about lol. And don't get me wrong, that kit is well designed, looks great. It would just have to be under the right rig for the right reason and imo rock crawling just aint it

It would definitely look good under a Yota, and I like the idea of a prerunner style Raptor and a bug. I agree with it not really made for rock crawling, definitely more of a realistic/scale setup.

Old 12-09-2020, 01:29 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It would just have to be under the right rig for the right reason and imo rock crawling just aint it

I almost bought a Trailrunner to use on the trails that were not difficult enough to challenge my Ascender with standard axles and 4.5" tires.

However, just as I was getting ready to pull the trigger, I ended up moving away from the trails I knew. I then decided my next rig would be "ready for any trail" as I explore my new surroundings, and start building my own trails.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:42 AM   #48

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out the interest in IFS for a rock crawler. Not trying to be negative, genuinely curious. Just my "1:1" observations creeping into the hobby. Seems like IFS gets torched off for solid axles more often than vice-versa due to the simplicity, articulation, and strength. IFS always seemed like a go fast thing to me. If I had to make up a reason it would be "because it is different". Interested in thoughts on it.
Because the Trailrunner is the closest RC available to the 4Runner. The 4Runner has a huge off-roading community and is becoming a cult classic (up there with Land Cruisers, Land Rovers, XJs, etc). The 1:1 4Runner has become popular since the Overlanding boom trend. The thing is, 4Runner/Trailrunner strength was never rock crawling, and Toyota drivers will tell you the Wrangler is rock crawling king, but there is much more to off-roading than rock crawling.

Instead of buying the millionth solid axle rig with yet another Jeep body, it’s cool to be able to pick up an IFS RC that resembles my 5th Gen 4Runner. So yes, part of the reason I ordered a Trailrunner is just because it’s different.

And no, IFS does not mean you need more speed to make it over obstacles. That’s how you break parts in real life. You either can clear it or you can’t, but if you can, you can do it nice and slow with good tires and suspension as you would with a Jeep.
KingRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:02 AM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRaptor View Post
Because the Trailrunner is the closest RC available to the 4Runner. The 4Runner has a huge off-roading community and is becoming a cult classic (up there with Land Cruisers, Land Rovers, XJs, etc). The 1:1 4Runner has become popular since the Overlanding boom trend. The thing is, 4Runner/Trailrunner strength was never rock crawling, and Toyota drivers will tell you the Wrangler is rock crawling king, but there is much more to off-roading than rock crawling.

Instead of buying the millionth solid axle rig with yet another Jeep body, it’s cool to be able to pick up an IFS RC that resembles my 5th Gen 4Runner. So yes, part of the reason I ordered a Trailrunner is just because it’s different.

And no, IFS does not mean you need more speed to make it over obstacles. That’s how you break parts in real life. You either can clear it or you can’t, but if you can, you can do it nice and slow with good tires and suspension as you would with a Jeep.

So because it is different lol. Honestly I get that, although if someone made a 1:10 version of my Tahoe it would have a 1:10 SAS and scale 40s

Last edited by Phildirt; 12-14-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:49 PM   #50

Quote:
So because it is different lol. Honestly I get that, although if someone made a 1:10 version of my Tahoe it would have a 1:10 SAS and scale 40s
Yeah, hard to pass up a rig when a company makes one that looks like yours.
KingRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote