Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: factory 5x10x4 bearing failures?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2020, 08:36 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default factory 5x10x4 bearing failures?

My newly built GK has been an uphill battle. Between shock tuning, and other handling issues I'm kind of kicking myself for this purchase.

But! I've been an AE guy for years and know they usually do right when it comes to kit parts quality. However, my GK is eating the stock 5x10x4 bearing WAY to often. Between the wheel bearings and the axle pinion bearings I've gone through 4 already. My front axle ate 2 at the inner pinion and I actually had to scrap the hard stock housing because the bearing outer race was melted into it.

My wheel bearings I'm also on #2 as well. I know the pit bull RB is a big tires and a 350 VP hub is long but dang, these things lasted 6 packs.

*disclaimer*

I'm running this truck like a 4wd short course truck. The jumps I've been doing are quite big for something that can be trail driven or even scaled if one was inclined.
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: factory 5x10x4 bearing failures?

I cracked the front axle housing on my GK a few days ago in freezing weather doing jumps. I’d also broken a rod end on the front links a week before. It’s still based on a crawler, so I don’t think it’s meant for very high speed nor bashing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nielsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:27 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible View Post
My wheel bearings I'm also on #2 as well. I know the pit bull RB is a big tires and a 350 VP hub is long but dang, these things lasted 6 packs.

I'm running this truck like a 4wd short course truck. The jumps I've been doing are quite big for something that can be trail driven or even scaled if one was inclined.
Without sounding insensitive or rude, you are literally doing the opposite of the rig is intended for and complaining that it can't sustain that level of abuse.

If you wanted an sct you bought the wrong rig.

Again, not trying to sound rude but you're causing the problem and it's hardly fair to try and blame AE. It's like complaining that your Bugatti is terrible at mud-bogging.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:50 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Agreed.

Excellent crawling trail truck. My wife’s doesn’t need any repairs or parts after a year.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:37 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

On one hand, your clearly using the truck beyond it's intended use and the small bearings are the weakest link.

On the other hand, why is any company using 5x10 bearings anywhere on anything? The 5x11's hold up much better, and theres gotta be an extra mm of room in the knuckles and axle housing. If it were up to me, 5x13 would be the smallest bearing allowed in a 1/10 truck. 5x11 pinion bearings have been a weak point in the Axial axles since the Wraith came out, so why on earth would any company spec any smaller bearing than that?

I'm sure noone wants to hear it, but if your going to be jumping your scale truck and treating it as a basher, may I suggest using a TRX4? If you've seen Kevin Talbots abusive videos you know the TRX4 platform will take a ridiculous amount of abuse.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
5x11 pinion bearings have been a weak point in the Axial axles since the Wraith came out, so why on earth would any company spec any smaller bearing than that?
Been saying the same thing since the Element came out, glad I’m not the only one.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I've abused plenty of toy cars in my day, so I have a plenty good idea of what will hold up to my abuse level, and 5x10 pinion bearings don't stand a chance. They might live on 2s, driven in a scale fashion, at speeds not to exceed 6mph. That's not how I treat things though. Knowing how often I'd have to swap them out is about the only thing keeping me from picking up a Gatekeeper kit.

I hope someone from Element sees this and realizes the errors of their ways.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:53 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Without sounding insensitive or rude, you are literally doing the opposite of the rig is intended for and complaining that it can't sustain that level of abuse.

If you wanted an sct you bought the wrong rig.

Again, not trying to sound rude but you're causing the problem and it's hardly fair to try and blame AE. It's like complaining that your Bugatti is terrible at mud-bogging.
You don't have to yell at me Ha!
Old 11-20-2020, 01:24 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

With a 3D printer on the way I'm going to look at printing a hub that can hold a larger bearing.

I tried to make a small vid of what I'm doing with the truck but I figured it isn't worth it.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:51 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

If your going to post a video of your Gatekeeper flying through the air in it's best short course impersonation, then by all means, please do share.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:10 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I had a few pinion bearings fail and eventually swapped to a simple bronze bushing. No issues since, but I've also moved the axles to a GSpeed chassis that is much lighter than my old Enduro. I found some that were from Redcat on eBay.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:11 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Mine chucked a pinion bearing in the front ifs diff with the bigger overdrive setup in it, but that was after about a year of trailing with it
mk3jetta is offline   Reply With Quote

factory 5x10x4 bearing failures? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Multiple axle failures... LamChop RC4WD Trail Finder 2 5 10-03-2016 07:19 PM
Locker/Spool failures.. mrdrinksalil Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 04-17-2009 11:16 AM
Towerpro servo failures?? holycaveman Electronics 36 02-15-2008 01:24 AM
Novak Goat Failures? TunaMaxx Electronics 33 11-20-2007 04:00 PM