Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: topher builds an Element Kit + Gspeed TGH V3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2021, 09:31 AM   #1
Gold Star Baby!

Default topher builds an Element Kit + Gspeed TGH V3

Started a new project this week. Taking an element enduro kit and slapping it into a carbon fiber gspeed v3 chassis.

Parts:
Element enduro kit
Gspeed v3 rails
TJRC skid
Gspeed multiplatform panhard mount
TGH DSM
Gspeed sliders
SSD Brass Knuckles
SOR rear link riser
Samix brass hexes

Body, electronics, wheels and tires TBD

First off, I want to put out there that this was a breeze to build. If you’re hesitating swapping your element to a gspeed make note that this was the easiest one I’ve done so far.

Using the stock links, this skid, and the gspeed mp panhard mount everything fit perfectly. Wheelbase is right at 12.3” and front geometry is clean. No adjustments needed on any of the links.

Next up is shocks and mounting the stealth x
Attached Images

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2021, 12:24 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: topher builds an Element Kit + Gspeed TGH V3

This is a good swap IMO, one of my biggest complaints on the enduro is excessive ride height, that isn’t easily corrected with the stock chassis. Also, super weak panhard mount setup. The v3 chassis gives you good shock mounting options, solid panhard mount, good compatibility with enduro/scx parts, plus keeping the chassis light (one of my favorite attributes of the enduro)

Look forward to seeing it come together
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:59 AM   #3
Gold Star Baby!

More progress was made last night. Got the shocks built and transmission mounted.

Although I’m using an enduro builders kit, I’m actually using a transmission that I had bought separately. The $51 version of the stealth x has plastic gears which are a bit lighter. Although plastic these gears seem to be tough as failures aren’t common, I will be running a crawlmaster sport so thinking it should work out well. If this was revolver powered I may rethink that. Unfortunately I lost one of the option gears so I’m stuck at the 5.7% OD for now. Hoping I stumble upon the 26t gear sometime soon or I’ll order a new one.

Since the gspeed has an angled skid, this also changes the angles of the outputs on the transmission unless it is addressed. To offset this, I used a 1mm metal spacer under the front two holes of the transmission. This helped get the inputs and outputs to be more parallel. Ideally I’d like to shave down the bottom of the case, maybe even at an angle, to help sit the transmission lower and address the angle but this will do for now.

Next up is electronics, bench testing, and then body work. Still undecided on exactly which body I’ll use but I have a few good options on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
This is a good swap IMO, one of my biggest complaints on the enduro is excessive ride height, that isn’t easily corrected with the stock chassis. Also, super weak panhard mount setup. The v3 chassis gives you good shock mounting options, solid panhard mount, good compatibility with enduro/scx parts, plus keeping the chassis light (one of my favorite attributes of the enduro)

Look forward to seeing it come together
Agreed, fixes a lot that wasn’t the best on the stock chassis. Excited to drive it and see how it does. Seems like a solid combo.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2021, 08:06 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Are you using the stock suspension link lengths?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:54 AM   #5
Go Buckeyes!

Looks great TB!

It's almost like the GSpeed chassis was designed for the Enduro platform. They seem to fit together so nicely!

Shaving down the bottom of the trans would be a great idea I think since there is all the extra plastic at the bottom. Would be easy to set it on a belt sander at the right angle and take off just enough to make it sit right on the skid plate.

I agree on the stock plastic gears in the trans. They are wide and tough and see now reason why they wouldn't hold up. I've ran my stock plastic trans gears hard in my Enduro and haven't had any problems out of them. Also I like how quiet they are.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:09 PM   #6
Slow is the new Fast

Cool beans TB! my Trailwalker Enduro is collecting dust on my shelf, time to pimp it out. This looks like a good way to to see if I want to take the long walk down the belly-dragging trail.

Looks like you are going ultra like weight? Carbon fibre and plastic tranny gears. Does this chassis come in aluminum or steel as well?
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:11 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Cool beans TB! my Trailwalker Enduro is collecting dust on my shelf, time to pimp it out. This looks like a good way to to see if I want to take the long walk down the belly-dragging trail.

Looks like you are going ultra like weight? Carbon fibre and plastic tranny gears. Does this chassis come in aluminum or steel as well?
Here you go bud!
https://gspeedchassis.com/collection...r-package-deal

https://gspeedchassis.com/collection...-only-in-stock

https://gspeedchassis.com/

Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:24 AM   #8
Slow is the new Fast

Ever the gentleman, thank you Ernie. I was perusing these yesterday. I am leaning towards the carbon steel rails. I must like rust or something
Old 05-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ever the gentleman, thank you Ernie. I was perusing these yesterday. I am leaning towards the carbon steel rails. I must like rust or something
I got the G10 kit for mine.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:01 AM   #10
Gold Star Baby!

Time for more updates. This thing is almost done, just waiting on a bumper from ierc. I also found the missing gear under my couch so I’ll be able to get to the 11.8% OD (UD really) before the shakedown. Once I got to mounting the electronics I had to make a change to the front links.

With the servo mounted there’s some interference with the panhard bar and the servo horn. This can be fixed a few different ways, the most common is adding a spacer under the panhard mount to move the panhard bar down. You can also bend the panhard bar. Space the servo up on the servo mount. Angled rod ends. Or likely a combination of these things.

I ended up taking the panhard bar from an scx10iii (portal panhard version) and twisted the rod ends off a few turns to get the right length and stick that it in there. I also have about 5mm of spacers on the panhard side to lower the bar. The bend of the the 10.3 panhard helps clear the pumpkin and the how skinny the link is makes more room for the servo horn. Feels great on the bench.

Electronics are temporary for now. Using a random jx servo I had around and trying out tbe firma esc receiver combo that I had around as well. Crawlmaster sport for the motor. Next servo will most likely be nsdrc once in stock, and maybe a 1080 esc depending on how this firma esc does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyro View Post
Are you using the stock suspension link lengths?
Yes, all stock links except the panhard now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Looks great TB!

It's almost like the GSpeed chassis was designed for the Enduro platform. They seem to fit together so nicely!

Shaving down the bottom of the trans would be a great idea I think since there is all the extra plastic at the bottom. Would be easy to set it on a belt sander at the right angle and take off just enough to make it sit right on the skid plate.

I agree on the stock plastic gears in the trans. They are wide and tough and see now reason why they wouldn't hold up. I've ran my stock plastic trans gears hard in my Enduro and haven't had any problems out of them. Also I like how quiet they are.
Thanks BMow! Good to hear about your plastic gears and good point on them being quiet. I’m thinking about getting a spare case to shave down here sooner than later. Getting that transmission lower would be nice.

Quote:

Thanks Smog! Aluminum is a relatively new option that is available now.

Thanks Ernie!
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #11
Gold Star Baby!

Got the body done as well. I went with a jconcepts tucked Ford body. Initially I was on the fence about keeping it on here. The way it’s tucked gives it kind of a boat like appearance, especially from the top. The whole side is rounded from front to back.

I ended up adding some Velcro to suck the sides in a bit and it helped some. After the initial paint job I also went back and added some pin striping to give the scheme some subtle depth instead of a raw two tone. Mirrors are from a trx4 sport. Although not the best shape for this body, these mirrors are tough. I took a sliver sharpie to them for the color.

After all that the body has grown on me. Looking forward to getting the ierc bumper on here to finish it off. I still may swap to a JP1 to match my other V3 but going to run it like this for a bit first.

Thanks for reading my ramblings if you made it this far, if all goes well I’ll have some shakedown footage after the weekend.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2021, 10:21 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Panhard looks like a perfect fit.

I like the paint scheme a lot, I’m on the fence with this body for the reason you mentioned, curved sides and all.

Don’t forget the firma can be programmed to some degree with a 1080 program card. I was pretty happy with the one in the rtr 10.3 I had briefly.
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:08 AM   #13
Slow is the new Fast

Looks great TB! It’s certainly an interesting looking body. While perhaps not a stunner, you did a nice job on it.

I have a couple of questions: first, are you running the stock Enduro servo mount? Second, how many of the g-speed chassis spacers are you using?

Cheers
Old 05-06-2021, 06:41 AM   #14
Go Buckeyes!

I do like the classic look with the two-tone paint! The mirrors are a great scale touch that makes it look even better! I agree, the body does look a little funny with how it is shaped, but the paint job kinda hides that look. Great job TB!

It is hard to beat the look of the JP1 body! Love the look of them and would look killer on this build! I'm still trying to talk myself into spending the money to get one shipped to me since my LHS doesn't stock them!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:34 PM   #15
Gold Star Baby!

Took this rig out on Sunday for a shakedown and like usual I had a great time. This build ended up being very stable and predictable, loves to sidehill. The tiny tires posed some issues with Clarence but I’ll putting some normal class 2 tires on for the next one.

Since I didn’t use my normal transmitter I didn’t get a ton of video so no shakedown youtube to share but here are some pics and an Instagram clip. The color looks great in the sun and in the wild. Still not a fan of the sides sticking out and once the Velcro got dirty it didn’t hold as well so need to address that again or it’s body swap time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Panhard looks like a perfect fit.

I like the paint scheme a lot, I’m on the fence with this body for the reason you mentioned, curved sides and all.

Don’t forget the firma can be programmed to some degree with a 1080 program card. I was pretty happy with the one in the rtr 10.3 I had briefly.
Thank you! Panhard worked out great. The firma esc wasn’t too bad either. But I’m probably pulling it out here soon so I can use my normal remote and get some more powah.

Quote:
Looks great TB! It’s certainly an interesting looking body. While perhaps not a stunner, you did a nice job on it.

I have a couple of questions: first, are you running the stock Enduro servo mount? Second, how many of the g-speed chassis spacers are you using?

Cheers
Thanks Smog! I’m running a tgh dual servo mount. It works and fits perfect with the gspeed and Sherpa chassis paired with their panhard mounts. As far as spacers go I’m using 4 on this build, sometimes I’ll run another one in the back as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I do like the classic look with the two-tone paint! The mirrors are a great scale touch that makes it look even better! I agree, the body does look a little funny with how it is shaped, but the paint job kinda hides that look. Great job TB!

It is hard to beat the look of the JP1 body! Love the look of them and would look killer on this build! I'm still trying to talk myself into spending the money to get one shipped to me since my LHS doesn't stock them!
Thank you Bmow! I have a soft spot for the jp1 as well. I snagged an extra a few months ago when Amain had them in stock. I’ll probbaly grab another soon just to stash.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2021, 10:11 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Sidehilling Monster Ford = Cool. Videos I can't Mute = Not Cool. ;p
SurlyBurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Another super build TB! Paint looks great
Robotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:07 PM   #18
Slow is the new Fast

The more pics you show of the body the more I like it. I like how it fits the chassis.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:25 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Great build! I know exactly what I'm doing with the Sendero that's been sitting on my shelf for a year lol.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:54 PM   #20
Gold Star Baby!

Thanks fellas! I appreciate the kind words. This has been a fun build.

@kincer good idea! You may be able to snag a discount by joining the mailing list. They’re having a flash sale right now.

topher builds an Element Kit + Gspeed TGH V3 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B-MOW's GSPEED TGH-V3 LCG Chassis Build B-MOW71 1.9 Scale Rigs 81 02-10-2023 06:16 AM
Topher builds a TGH/G-Speed V3 Topher Builds 1.9 Scale Rigs 86 02-25-2022 05:39 AM
Gspeed/TGH/Enduro build for class 3 garyk 1.9 Scale Rigs 35 07-02-2021 01:17 PM