Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Install question on reversing Stealth X transmission and optional top gear shaft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2021, 11:52 AM   #1

Default Install question on reversing Stealth X transmission and optional top gear shaft

Hey crawlers, help! I’m using the team KNK 25% overdrive gear in my enduro. The goal was to reverse the transmission with a motor forward profile. Yes I purchased the optional shaft , reversed the gears as instructed but for the life of me the I can’t get the gears to mesh properly. Once reversed one of the output gears doesn’t allow me to seat the whole combination of gears together.
I’m sure it’s some thing that I’m doing wrong, or perhaps the team KNK gear is too big? Noon question for the experienced or just smarter builders here! Thanks guys.
BryanG76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2021, 01:28 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Install question on reversing Stealth X transmission and optional top gear shaft

Got any pictures?

Also the front and rear output shafts/hubs are different sizes, make sure they are in the correct location for the setup you’re trying to run.

I’m guessing you have access to a good diagram of trans and the different setups?
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:40 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Install question on reversing Stealth X transmission and optional top gear shaft

I hope your not using the image on KNK's site... it's way wrong: https://teamknkhardware.com/replacem...ive-gears.html

Refer to the diagrams at the back of the Element manual. You should be using the stock 24/56 gears since the tooth count should be the same as the OD gears (80) ....assuming you already are, the only thing I can think of is to second twade 's suggestion.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 12:30 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

One thing to make sure is the 28T idler gear and 52T bottom gear always go on the side with the top shaft gear in any configuration. Since the mesh is set on fixed points, the 28T idler is the only gear that will mesh correctly with the top shaft so nothing will be right if that is wrong. All optional gear changes are done on the side that does not mesh to the top shaft.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Got any pictures?

Also the front and rear output shafts/hubs are different sizes, make sure they are in the correct location for the setup you’re trying to run.

I’m guessing you have access to a good diagram of trans and the different setups?
Boom, that was it. The hubs on which the gears ARE different as you pointed out much appreciated. Other 2 gentleman were spot on as well. What would we do without each other! Thanks again all!
Old 10-12-2021, 10:37 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Glad you got it handled, these transmissions can be a little tricky, and I had to reference the manual very closely the last time I built one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 05:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Glad you got it handled, these transmissions can be a little tricky, and I had to reference the manual very closely the last time I built one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks again, a detail I likely would have come across a month later lol! Or never? SO, the question is…IS IT WORTH IT? Does flipping the transmission help with performance since the weight is shifted forward?

100%. I was out on my local mountain. I’m familiar with the features, so it was easy to compare. Couple things.
- Stability improved significantly in climbing and sidehilling.
- Attitude of the rig is changed. Feels more planted as you climb over stuff. I was impressed most by how composed the rig was when scurrying over multiple little features and tight spaces.

I’ve had this “Trailwalker” for 9 mo and what I’ve learned in terms of performance for the rocks around me (Los Angeles/Malibu). Sharing mainly for the nooby crawlers since that’s what I consider myself.

1. Gear down, volt up.
2. Lipo on the slider serves as lowest center of gravity for me; anyone agree? Still fiddling with “above servo” placement
3. Flip the Stealth X! The top shaft is a couple bucks and time learning about your transmission
4. Team KNK 25% OD gear is $25. Price/performance ratio is a no brained for me.
5. Learning about “gearing” helped me understand the game and identify my goals.
6. Learn what center of gravity is
7. Have fun! Buy what you like. learn on your own and from the people on this forum, and make a decision. Eventually we Adp change stuff so don’t be afraid to try!
8. Participate! I’m driving in my first Comp later this month Half of life is showing up!

Thanks again guys, people like you really help and I hope I can return the favor as I learn. I’ll take some video of the reversed setup and some run time on it if anyone’s interested?
Old 01-20-2022, 05:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanG76 View Post
Hey crawlers, help! I’m using the team KNK 25% overdrive gear in my enduro. The goal was to reverse the transmission with a motor forward profile. Yes I purchased the optional shaft , reversed the gears as instructed but for the life of me the I can’t get the gears to mesh properly. Once reversed one of the output gears doesn’t allow me to seat the whole combination of gears together.
I’m sure it’s some thing that I’m doing wrong, or perhaps the team KNK gear is too big? Noon question for the experienced or just smarter builders here! Thanks guys.

Hey there…I’ve been scratching my head over this upgrade…what optional shaft are you referring to??
And what FMM are you using?

I’m using the low range rc FMM and can not get the gears to mesh properly with the KNK 25%

Thanks in advance
98navi0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:52 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

STEALTH X: BUILD CONFIGURATION: MOTOR MOUNT FACING FRONT (OPTIONAL - REQUIRES #42024 - TOP SHAFT )

See page 28:

https://img2.associatedelectrics.com...-8-10-2020.pdf

And here's a link to the required part:

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...verse_gearbox/
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:24 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I know this is older but I just upgraded to the hobbywing axe 2100 kv setup. Would the override gears still be beneficial ?
Volsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Install question on reversing Stealth X transmission and optional top gear shaft - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SS Beefy top shaft install questions IPT Axial Wraith 15 05-17-2014 02:28 PM
AX30401 Install Help! Gear shaft sticks out further than stock jhonchua Axial SCX-10 4 07-24-2012 08:15 AM
Question: Axial Optional Ratio Gear Sets JS412 Axial SCX-10 19 03-15-2011 06:08 PM