Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Skaldiddog's "Progress"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #261
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Default Re: Skaldiddog's "Progress"

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-wray View Post
You have way too much time on your hands. I think you need another kid nice work Joel
Thanks and no thanks.

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #262
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Default Modern soldering iron stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
Chamfered edges will remove a little more weight and it looks like you could remove quite a bit without affecting the part strength for your application. being that is 7075.
OK Dicky T I trimmed it up a little bit. It's 0.5g heavier than the old one but I'm fine with that. I like the way the rig works wiith the longer links but I'll test some more.

I wanted to dump my stock soldering iron stand so I made a new one of scraps I had in the scrap bin. It came out nicely. No the surface below the tip does not get hot. I tested it. Heat rises and the radiant heat from a tip that small is miniscule.

J
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #263
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Thats a fancy iron stand, I love it!

Upper link mount is cool too
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #264
I wanna be Dave

That looks good Joel!

The weight savings might be minimal but you could put a 2mm wide or so 45 degree chamfer across all of the 90 degree edges with out effecting the strength for application (more material could come off of 6061 and you have 7075). You might just pick up that .5 G extra.

You could also probably get away with a few "speed holes" on the vertical plane that could double as additional link mount holes for axle side link placement tuning. Weight redux and more versatility, double win

Or you can leave it as is because it does look good, and what's .5g...

shutting my brain and fingers up now sir... Keep up the great work!
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #265
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
...and what's .5g...
A few more holes in the swiss cheese body.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #266
TSK
Shelf queen

So disappointed when I found that it was a solder station and not the start of a custom gear case/axle assembly
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #267
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Most people make wine bottle holders...not you my friend.
If it isn't machined, it isn't worth doing.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #268
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Default Gotta love the Germans

Picked up a BMW 335d last week and was thumbing through the owners manual and came across this one (first full sentence) that had me busting out. Gotta love 'em.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #269
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Nice! Look at Joel goin big with the Beemer. Does this mean no more Honda rattle? I figured youd buy that little Chevy you drove to the BOTW. Especially after you beat her diwn climbing hills & running her like a trophy truck
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #270
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Default Links n tires n things n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
Nice! Look at Joel goin big with the Beemer. Does this mean no more Honda rattle? I figured youd buy that little Chevy you drove to the BOTW. Especially after you beat her diwn climbing hills & running her like a trophy truck
Thanks JD. I really like it. It gets the same MPG as my Civic did and needless to say is a lot more fun to drive...with a trip to the pump every other week now. Love the 400+ torques. Nuts.

Back to crawling...I dumped the new rear upper setup and went back to the old. The rear end was not quite as planted for some reason. I'll play with another variant now knowing what I've learned. Also feel that I'm finally figuring out Rovers. I took a stack of old worn ones out of the attic and am almost done converting them to "comp style" tires. I want to be able to practice and comp with the exact same tire to improve my driving consistency...and yes avoid gates. These tire still need to hit the lathe and get many packs on them in both directions before they are ready. Luckily they were rock warn instead of just machine warn so the carcasses are quite soft versus a new tire. I'm a big fan of rock worn tires with some finishing touches by hand.
Still running my full bodied chassis and don't plan on changing that any time soon. The small bodies make comp rigs look like monster trucks IMO. Happy New Year and thanks for watching.

Gates
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #271
RCC Addict

WowDiggin those worn lugs! How much longer were your rear upper when you made that change. I also went to a different rear mount which mad my rear uppers about 10mm longer. Haven't had enough time on it to see the real changes though.
Thanks,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #272
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
How much longer were your rear upper when you made that change. I also went to a different rear mount which mad my rear uppers about 10mm longer.
About that much longer. Mount point(s) was slightly further rearward than the lower rear mount points.

J
Old 01-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #273
I wanna be Dave

Old 02-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #274
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Default Back to the future....

Lo and behold years later, the "illegal" body from my first build is once again legal.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #275
I wanna be Dave

Not bright enough. And what if I had a big hunk of cheese that I needed to make into small slivers? What good would that body do?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #276
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Not bright enough. And what if I had a big hunk of cheese that I needed to make into small slivers? What good would that body do?
It would do you absolutely no good at all.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #277
I wanna be Dave

Precisely!

Old 02-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #278
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Default Holmes Hobbies BRSL ESC's

Since day one I've had CC Sidewinder Micros in my crawlers. They are small, fairly reliable, cheap with good customer support and do the job nicely. They do however get really hot every time. After several hundred packs they usually get very hot and stop working. They also seem to be prone to not responding in a linear manner aka "stalling" even with the throttle exponential at 100%. Enter JRH's Torquemaster BRSLs.

The Ginger Head Man (DelMonte) has been running these for a little while and told me up and down that they solved the stalling problem and gave insane resolution, response and drag brake. Yesterday I finally took his advice and replaced my CC units with a couple of BRSLs. I[m glad I did. With only about half of a pack on them it's clear that these babies give insane power, response and resolution in an absolutely linear manner. They didn't warm up either (heat is lost power so it'll be interesting to see what my run times are). I'm very pleased so far. More testing to come.

Two BRSLs fully prepped as in the pics below weigh about 24g more than comparably prepped CCSMs. I easily compensated for 12g of that by removing some excess high chassis/shell weight. More weight loss is easy but I'm right at 5.0 lbs so I'm good. As you can see in the pics I used small foam blocks to space the ESCs apart so they don't short out or get too hot and allow only one layer of shrink wrap. The hot parts of the ESCs that rely on the heat sink in the BRXL are separated by an air gap for ventiliatin. The whole package is gooped to the chassis. I went ahead and upgraded to the new CCBEC with cap. Overall I'm diggin' these. Thanks JRH!

Thanks for watching.
J
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #279
I wanna be Dave

Nice work Joel. You will love the BRSL's. I have them in my Super, i may need a set for my 2.2
Old 02-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #280
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I dig the layout you did on them! I'm glad that we are finally done with board layout on the mini version too, so we can drop those grams back off when the first batch arrives. I'm considering different options for stacking the new version, as a pair they will be best behaved with the power and caps on one side. A bit of foam would be easy to work with.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote