Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: my step into the comp crawler world

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default my step into the comp crawler world

Well after seeing some pretty sick MOA's on here i decided i want to join in the fun and build my first comp crawler. This will be a very slow build as i am a part time college student and have a full time job so funds are limited at times but i make do, anyways i have viewed many build threads to see what parts people are upgrading and all the goodies that i wish i could afford. from tose threads i have put together a list of things that will go into this rig, its still missing things but thats either because i forgot about it, didnt know what kind, or have decided yet. Cant wait to start this build.

Delrin T1E SS Chassis and links (should be here tomorrow)
Berg V1 axles
Savox 1230SG servo
Futaba 4PLS radio system
Robitronic Aluminum Servo Horn
CC BEC set at 6V
RCBros Berg Locker
RCBros Lightened Berg Gears
x2 HH Torquemaster Pro 35T motors
x2 CC Sidewinder Micros
Vanquish 2.2 DH ProComp 2 Beadlock wheels
TrakPower TK-950 Soldering Station(gotta learn how to solder sometime and i figured i will need one for this build)
Still dont know what shocks or tires but whatever tires i get i will be getting Crawler Innovation Foams

If im forgetting anything or recommend something feel free to let me know because like i said im new to the comp crawler world. But what do you think of my list i think its a good start for now.

Kenneth

Last edited by jeepscx10; 08-07-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: added wheels
jeepscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Fifth dimension

Default Re: my step into the comp crawler world

It's a good list! Your starting at a great time! There are a number of venders killing it with quality parts right now. Even down to your shock choice. If you like scx, rcbros just dropped shock body's and if your a big bore guy, Dlux can mill them down and cap mod them. Hope you enjoy your first build. It's an adventure for sure.
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Welcome, keep reading and ask any question you have. There are many knowledgeable people on this forum
Beerman Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Why a savox servo? What's the torque?

Get a hitec 7950 and set the bec at 7.2v. There customer service is really good if you ever fry the servo also.

Oh ya, make sure you get 3.5" shocks for the t1e chassis.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
Why a savox servo? What's the torque?

Get a hitec 7950 and set the bec at 7.2v. There customer service is really good if you ever fry the servo also.

Oh ya, make sure you get 3.5" shocks for the t1e chassis.
The savox servo has 500oz of torque at 6v and for $75 can't beat that, but I have never used servos from either savox or hitec. Thanks for the shock length tip.

Also how would I wire up the dual esc's do I get a y harness or what? Is there somene that makes cvds that will fit the berg axles without modifying the axle?

Last edited by jeepscx10; 08-07-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Do you have pics of your axles you can post here? That would really help us see what you're working with other than just "Berg V1 Axles".

CVD's for Berg axles? First question is...do you really need CVD's yet? If so...SDS makes Super 300's. It is difficult to track down a set sometimes, but they are worth every penny and the time spent waiting. Another option is to contact Erik Dlux and have a set of XR10 universals modified to work in your axles. The catch here is you need XR/Wraith knuckles and C's which may also mean you need custom tubes, or at least some work done on your stock tubes to have them fit. Search other builds here to see what people are using and what the benefits/cons of each setup are. Then pick the best option for YOU, which in a lot of cases may be different than what seems to be most popular.

There's plenty of tech in threads in the Berg section as well as the XR10 section describing how to wire up the ESC's. There's also plenty of pictures of different ways to go about it, but in most cases they end up very close to the same no matter who does the wiring. Just take the time to research it and do it right the first time.

Here's a diagram I pulled up, but it doesn't really do anything for you but show you where the wires go and such. You'll want to shorten wires, arrange the ESC's so you get a small package, etc.

Last edited by ittybitty; 08-07-2013 at 08:35 AM.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
There's plenty of tech in threads in the Berg section as well as the XR10 section describing how to wire up the ESC's. There's also plenty of pictures of different ways to go about it, but in most cases they end up very close to the same no matter who does the wiring. Just take the time to research it and do it right the first time.

Here's a diagram I pulled up, but it doesn't really do anything for you but show you where the wires go and such. You'll want to shorten wires, arrange the ESC's so you get a small package, etc.

Thanks ittybitty the diagram helps a lot.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepscx10 View Post
The savox servo has 500oz of torque at 6v and for $75 can't beat that, but I have never used servos from either savox or hitec. Thanks for the shock length tip.

Also how would I wire up the dual esc's do I get a y harness or what? Is there somene that makes cvds that will fit the berg axles without modifying the axle?

The original Super 300 CVDs will work in the stock housing if you change the bearing to the appropriate size. They are very heavy duty if you can find a pair used somewhere.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
Another option is to contact Erik Dlux and have a set of XR10 universals modified to work in your axles. The catch here is you need XR/Wraith knuckles and C's which may also mean you need custom tubes, or at least some work done on your stock tubes to have them fit.

Thanks Itty!

Like Itty said, we need to know what setup youre running. There are lots of options.

If youre running bone stock tubes, you could always get my UNI that work with the Bully knuckle. All you would have to do is bolt on some knuckles and put some shafts in and youre potential of 70* steering is there.

If you want to run Wraith knuckles, you would need to machine the stock tubes, run Wraith chubs/knuckles and then I can make some UNI shafts that work with that setup.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys for the info on the universal shafts. As far as the shafts go I will probably wait and see how I like the stock shafts. And the axles are going to be bone stock enroute berg axles that tcscrawlers has on their site. Also I got the chassis and lower links today it took about 45 minutes with some help from Handicrawler to put it together and this was the end result

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by jeepscx10; 08-07-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

got another question. whats the best all around 2.2 comp tire? And i have chosen the wheels that i will run on this rig. i plan on getting Vanquish 2.2 DH ProComp 2 Beadlocks

Last edited by jeepscx10; 08-07-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

That is a great chassis, I ran one for a long time. Three problems with your setup right now though, both front and rear links are on backwards and the cab is not mounted correctly. The top of the lower section and the top side of the window openings on the bottom of the cab should line up, you have the cab cocked forward in that pic. Just a heads up so you don't struggle with your setup.
RICrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
Fifth dimension

There are great arguments for your tire/wheel question and statement. Most will say the tires will be dictated by the rock you drive on the most. IMO it's still between dona's/ rovers and boss claws/ voodoos. Those seem to be the best options from the pin/ lug debate. On the wheels, if light weight is important, go with a carbon/g10 wheel. I personally have a different style of dlux beedlock wheel on all my rigs. They are light enough and tough. You will get 10 different answers from 10 different cats on here tho so it's really a home town homework kind of question
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
RCC Addict

The bends in the links are there to wrap around your motors. As for tires everyone has an opinion and they're all valid. What do the local guys run? The personal preference of most the guys I run with is the HB Sedona. Its what I run and I like 'em other guys have tried Rovers, Losi Boss Claws, and the new VooDoo.

woah crawl beat me to it well said too
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote

my step into the comp crawler world - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire Chains 101!!!! step by step. Picture Heavy!! foratm Tools, and Procedures 18 12-05-2012 03:02 PM
my first step into the scale world! motostowes Axial SCX-10 9 08-10-2010 07:01 PM
Making the green go away - step by step de-anodizing an AX10 for beginners. O.C.D. Axial AX-10 Scorpion 54 03-07-2010 10:15 PM
Easy step by step install of Scorpion tires/wheels. O.C.D. Axial AX-10 Scorpion 22 05-09-2008 04:38 PM
Over Seas World build Comp crawler... TwistedXT Videos! 12 11-13-2005 04:26 PM