Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Proph's BERG build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2015, 04:21 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Proph's BERG build.

Time to build a rig for me! (this time i'll try not to give it away to the little fella)

After completing my first comp spec 2.2 pro (Chaotic Crawlers Carbon Smash 2.0 Bully 2.........that's a mouthfull ) i ended up giving it to my little boy to replace his underachieving Bully V1 Mantis. It's made him a very happy little fella, however it left me rig-less again. ( I have this habit of giving everything i build to him) But during the process of building that rig i came across a bargain in the classifieds. I saw them, i wanted them, and now i get to build them up.

Being that i'm aiming to get to the Australian Nats in 2016, i want to get this rig up and running and tuned and a fair amount of drive time on it before then. That being said it's going to be a slower build than the Bully 2 was. As that rig chewed through most my 'spare stuff', so i'll be doing a lot more ordering on this one. And as the other Aussie guys can testify, shipping from anywhere other than in Aus (and that's pretty bad too) sucks. - Shipping to Tas sucks even more.

So it started the other day when a package arrived.

No gears and lockers. But everything else is there.
When i payed for these axles i got onto Barry at ClassicutCustoms for some RC4WD Gear sets. - First time dealing with him and really quite impressed.

These cases are going. I've put my order in to Erik at DLUX for some replacement cases and while i was there i got some RC Bros lockers as well. I'm really looking forward to seeing Erik's workmanship up close.

These shafts have me impressed. So far I've only had the pleasure of working with the stock bully shafts for both V1 and the B2's. These seem very nice and beefy to me.

Front tubes have been machined already. Also have been drilled and tapped for clocking.

Currently i'm not sure what i'm going to do with tubes. I have a few options here. Leave them as is and run them. Go delrin rear. Or swap both for RC Bros tubes. For now i'm going to leave them, run them and see how they feel and go from there.

VP knuckles and weight holders. 10 slugs of Tungston Carbide. I like the idea of these knuckle weights Vs the brass on the B2. Will see how we go here. Again it's going to be a case of run it, see how it feels to me, and then see.

This is my first encounter with a Berg, so i've got me some learning to do. I'm still debating over which chassis i want to run, so while my mind spins over that decision i'll be just concentrating on the axles for now.
prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2015, 05:14 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Proph's BERG build.

Those rear tubes you show are Clover tubes by Bronco66. Really one of the better options for the rear to be honest. I'd run them and you don't have a reason to go delrin or RC Bros. You won't see much benefit to not use them really.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:13 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Those rear tubes you show are Clover tubes by Bronco66. Really one of the better options for the rear to be honest. I'd run them and you don't have a reason to go delrin or RC Bros. You won't see much benefit to not use them really.
Cheers for the heads up on them. I've gone from B2's that have limited to no options for parts to Berg that have more options than i can wrap my head around. lol But as i said i'm happy to run what i've got for now and go with that.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:19 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

You dont muck around!

Looking forward to following this one, as ive done with your other!
Underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:41 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground View Post
You dont muck around!

Looking forward to following this one, as ive done with your other!
Cheers man!!

and no i don't muck around........much. I don't like to have nothing build or tinker with. These popped up during the build of the bully and looked like a good option for me. It also means that i'm not building the same thing. (another bully) i like to have 'different'. I like to have comparison. Not just pics on a computer but the physical object itself to compare the differences. It'll be good to have both rigs going and see where the pros and cons of each lie.

If i end up building a third rig (for the wife) i may end up doing an XR10 and having the trifecta of the 3 most popular axle types.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:27 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

what chassis are you planning to mount on to these axels??
If you are a Aussie, then I would have gone for the riddler chassis from HULKSTA,
no worry about 2 weeks shipping and customs...
FLOKI-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:32 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOKI-81 View Post
what chassis are you planning to mount on to these axels??
If you are a Aussie, then I would have gone for the riddler chassis from HULKSTA,
no worry about 2 weeks shipping and customs...
As it happens my two choices were narrowed down to the riddler and the remedy. I hear good things about both. But I'm thinking i'd like to go with local and support Dan. But i'm yet to pull the trigger on a decision.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:29 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Great start on the build. Good to see another Aussie Berg in the build. Im hearing you on the postage stuff around. If there is a way to screw anything up, Australia Post will find it. Either the Remedy or the Riddler will give you a great competitive chassis.

Keep up the good work, will be good to meet you at the next Nats.
LAY80N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:16 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAY80N View Post
Great start on the build. Good to see another Aussie Berg in the build. Im hearing you on the postage stuff around. If there is a way to screw anything up, Australia Post will find it. Either the Remedy or the Riddler will give you a great competitive chassis.

Keep up the good work, will be good to meet you at the next Nats.
Cheers mate!!

I remember once ordering an item from the states (priority mail) and on the same day ordering EXPRESS for another Item form Sydney. 3 weeks later US item turned up first........... 'ONYA Aus post!! They certainly don't make a good name for themselves. Unfortunately there's not really any other option either.

Really looking forward to coming to Nats. Any idea where it ill be held? Looks like it was Sydney the last two..
Old 06-19-2015, 01:36 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet View Post
Cheers mate!!

I remember once ordering an item from the states (priority mail) and on the same day ordering EXPRESS for another Item form Sydney. 3 weeks later US item turned up first........... 'ONYA Aus post!! They certainly don't make a good name for themselves. Unfortunately there's not really any other option either.

Really looking forward to coming to Nats. Any idea where it ill be held? Looks like it was Sydney the last two..

Last two years it has been at Boat Harbour, NSW. Its about an hour north of Newcastle, NSW.
LAY80N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:04 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Gears showed up today. Thanks to Barry at ClassiCutCustoms for getting these out to me!

Old 06-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Such a beautiful thing to wake up to this morning!

Looks like i can start work on these tonight now.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:30 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Well the front axle has gone together really quite smoothly.

Really quite impressed with the cases. Fit and finnish is just beautiful. Thanks Erik!

Steering angle is gonna be really good on this.

And then i have a question for people who have used these cases. What is this? What is it for? And what does it do?

There was one of these in each bag of bearings for each case.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:08 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Great looking axles! Erik kills it with his products!

That little black plug is for your use, if you decide you want to drill a hole in the short side, CF tranny plate, to set your gear mesh..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:15 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Great looking axles! Erik kills it with his products!

That little black plug is for your use, if you decide you want to drill a hole in the short side, CF tranny plate, to set your gear mesh..
Cheers mate!

Awesome. Makes perfect sense now.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:22 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Rear side is not playing ball so easy as the front.

Case won't go together. Cause is the bearings not in right spot due to tubes. Easy enough to fix, just need time in the shed to trim a little out of the tubes.

Other wise seems to be all good. Just a little mod to do and they should work out fine.

On a different note, i did also notice a huge amount of play in the long side rear shaft.

Now I'm guessing that that much movement isn't a good thing? lol But there isn't a groove or anything on the shaft for a E-clip or any sort of feature that i can see to retain the shaft in the right spot. Any suggestions?
Old 07-01-2015, 08:15 AM   #17
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Bear with me as I'm not familiar with the design concept behind the rear axles you have. Is the white collar used to tune the in-out shaft position?

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #18
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Build looks great! I appreciate all the support.

Your shafts should figure themselves out as soon as you get the bearing relief taken care of. The tubes are effectively longer than they should be since the locker is not where it needs to be... yet.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:32 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaldidDog View Post
Bear with me as I'm not familiar with the design concept behind the rear axles you have. Is the white collar used to tune the in-out shaft position?

J
Your guess is as good as mine as i too am unfamiliar with these. lol But while it's no longer white i'm guess the same as you in that's what they are there for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Build looks great! I appreciate all the support.

Your shafts should figure themselves out as soon as you get the bearing relief taken care of. The tubes are effectively longer than they should be since the locker is not where it needs to be... yet.
Thanks for the input guys!
While i can't get up to the shed to get the little bit of tube cut out, i did try just assembling the stock tubes/cases/gears/locker to see if the same issue with the shafts is present. It is. there is still a lot of in out movement there.
So going through the box of parts that came with the axles i found some thick spacers amongst all the screws ect. that came with them.

if i put these between the collar on the shaft and the bearing at the lockout end of the shaft, would that work to fix the positioning of the shaft?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:25 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Well it appears that i have yet more drama's with the rear. Figured out the long shaft and got that at the right spot. no more in/out movement. No binding and works well.
The short side shaft however appears to be bent.

Proph's BERG build. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MY 2.2 berg build zhanglingshuang EnRoute Berg 35 01-03-2010 09:27 PM
My first berg build (my first build thread) jdacus EnRoute Berg 106 07-26-2009 07:29 PM
Berg running HaVoc.... Jp's Berg Build run2jeepn EnRoute Berg 52 06-19-2009 11:32 AM
My berg 2.2 build zhanglingshuang 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 06-12-2009 11:55 PM