Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Clocking stock v1 axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2016, 05:43 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Clocking stock v1 axles

Hello guys,
I have a completely stock v1 axles which are laying around. I'm planing to use them on a project. It will be a budged project .. don't want to spend $$ for new tubes, shafts, c-hubs and knuckles.
So ... I want to clock the axles and also add some caster. It should be possible if I clock the axles more than 20* and then mount them in a way so I can have them clocked + some caster angle.
I have never do this myself. As I remember there was some clocking tool and also stickers few years ago. If anyone still have this I'm ready to buy it.
Also, what if I drill the gear case, not the tube? Is this going to hold?
ssh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Clocking stock v1 axles

On a budget the simplest solution is to turn down the end's of the stock berg tubes then fit either Axial AX-!0 or Wraith C hubs then you can clock the axles and set the Caster ware you like it usually 20 to 30 Degrees

Name:  IMG_0538.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0539.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  53.1 KB
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:10 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You are better off drilling and tapping the tubes than the cases...
the counter sunk holes become very close to each other when done at the case

clock the tubes at 30* then bring the case back down to about 20*...
that should give you what you are lookin for........

as for the clocking tool, they are out there some where......but you wont need it if you machine the end

you are really better off machining the end of the tube down for an ax10 style C hub...
if you use wraith C's and knuckles then you will have to use a shaft made for berg and those...
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:03 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

So.. I can use ax10 c hub and ax10 knuckles without changing the shafts?
What will be the most budged option? ... without the need of changing the shafts and the locker.
I can even consider to put a delrin tube from dluxfab... if this gonna work with the stock shaft, dogbone/universal and the stock locker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh22 View Post
So.. I can use ax10 c hub and ax10 knuckles without changing the shafts?
What will be the most budged option? ... without the need of changing the shafts and the locker.
I can even consider to put a delrin tube from dluxfab... if this gonna work with the stock shaft, dogbone/universal and the stock locker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So as not to change the shafts U will need Axial AX-10 C hubs and Axial High Steer knuckles
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
So as not to change the shafts U will need Axial AX-10 C hubs and Axial High Steer knuckles
Thanks Tom.
Axial AX-10 C-Hubs would be the original axial branded chubs. Can you clarify, what Axial High Steer knuckles do I need? There is a plenty of them in the marked.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #7
Wanna get? Gotta want.

You should be able to put a AX10 chub on your tubes and then use the stock Berg knuckles. Its a more ideal way to do it but you can also go old school and simply clock the entire tube. The only huge downside is that it dives the shock/link mounts into the ground.

You can drill the gear case or the tubes. Most would do the tubes. All I would do is make the notch where it fits on the bearing, on the gearbox bigger and then install all the parts and set the caster where you want, drill holes with it attached on the gear box and you should be good. Watch my video on how to set the caster angle and it should be the same idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VbVoj3RiFo Time is about 1:11:17

Near the end, Bergs came with tubes that allowed for flat or 20* clocking. I know you probably dont want to buy anything but I have stock new tubes here that have this option.

Ideally, you dont want to run Berg stub shafts in AX10 knuckles. You want to run Berg stub shafts in Berg knuckles. Dog bones are pretty forgiving but ideally you want the center of the axle shaft pin to be in the center of the kingpin screws.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:50 AM   #8
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksloski View Post
...as for the clocking tool, they are out there some where...

gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:49 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
You should be able to put a AX10 chub on your tubes and then use the stock Berg knuckles. Its a more ideal way to do it but you can also go old school and simply clock the entire tube. The only huge downside is that it dives the shock/link mounts into the ground.

You can drill the gear case or the tubes. Most would do the tubes. All I would do is make the notch where it fits on the bearing, on the gearbox bigger and then install all the parts and set the caster where you want, drill holes with it attached on the gear box and you should be good. Watch my video on how to set the caster angle and it should be the same idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VbVoj3RiFo Time is about 1:11:17

Near the end, Bergs came with tubes that allowed for flat or 20* clocking. I know you probably dont want to buy anything but I have stock new tubes here that have this option.

Ideally, you dont want to run Berg stub shafts in AX10 knuckles. You want to run Berg stub shafts in Berg knuckles. Dog bones are pretty forgiving but ideally you want the center of the axle shaft pin to be in the center of the kingpin screws.
Thanks for the info Erik.
In fact, I think that my tubes are from the last gen... as I can see that there is 6 holes on the tubes.
My main concern are the shock/links mount.... they will go down and will mess the clearance.
I agree that the best option will be to change the tubes with your delrin tubes. So... I will need to change only the tubes and the c-hubs. Your delrin tubes + stock locker + stock shafts/dog bone + axial ax10 chubs + stock berg knuckle. Is this correct?

I also have your delrin servo mount. Can I use it with your tubes and the stock gear box? Do I need to make any modifications ... e.g moving the motor back?

Last edited by ssh22; 11-13-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #10
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Yeah, you should be able to use my delrin tubes along with stock everything and be good to go.

You can use my servo mount with my tubes, its what it was designed for. You will probably have to shave the tube a hair and move the motor to get the servo behind the axle.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote

Clocking stock v1 axles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clocking the axles Cmarcan167 Axial Wraith 2 01-06-2014 01:17 PM
Clocking Axles HoupS Redcat Crawlers 10 01-11-2012 06:30 AM
Whats Clocking your axles??? cmacclel XTM Crawler 3 08-16-2009 04:16 PM
clocking axles legion1capone Newbie General 1 03-24-2009 02:33 PM
Clocking the axles. hakmazter Newbie General 2 10-08-2008 02:11 AM